U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:26 PM

19 posts, read 50,692 times

Advertisements

I have lived overseas in Mexico and South America since I graduated college and I have decided to move to Chicago. While I lived outside the US I would always wind up going to Chicago for various shopping trips and for my visits back to the US.

Someone once said Chicago isn't a city it is a collection of neighborhoods that grew together. I found this to be very true and one of the reasons I kept going back to Chicago and have now decided to move there. Being from Washington DC I enjoyed the cultural diversity that city had and all the things to do. Being from Washington DC I came to appreciate the METRO (Subway) and I have used the CTA in Chicago and while not as new as METRO it works.

I am lucky in the fact that I am basically managing my investments so I will not having to report to an office I work from home. So I am considering what neighborhood I should live in. I like the so called "cultural diversity" that Hyde Park proclaims when I lived in Washington DC I lived in Takoma Park which was very diverse culturally. However, I also like Lakeview too because of its proximity to downtown. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:40 PM

102 posts, read 266,459 times
The neighborhoods you mentioned are pretty different. If you imagine a lifestyle that includes exploring all the city has to offer with ease, then I recommend against Hyde Park. Hyde Park has great amenities that are constantly improving (events associated with the university, growing number of cafes and restaurants, very diverse), but it is not easy to get to and from Hyde Park, especially at night, using the CTA.

Lakeview is one of the standard neighborhoods that people moving to chicago for the first time pick--it's very dense, lots going on in terms of restaurants and nightlife, easy access to downtown and public transit, and safe. It definitely does not have the diversity that hyde park or some other areas have, though.

Personally, I would stay away from Hyde Park. If there is something great going on there, you can always make the trek down, but unless you're happy spending a lot of your time in HP, it can be pretty stifling. However, you haven't said much about what you're like, so you might want to check out some of the other threads that newcomers have made about the different neighborhoods.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:46 PM

1,170 posts, read 2,386,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm680 View Post
I have lived overseas in Mexico and South America since I graduated college and I have decided to move to Chicago. While I lived outside the US I would always wind up going to Chicago for various shopping trips and for my visits back to the US.

Someone once said Chicago isn't a city it is a collection of neighborhoods that grew together. I found this to be very true and one of the reasons I kept going back to Chicago and have now decided to move there. Being from Washington DC I enjoyed the cultural diversity that city had and all the things to do. Being from Washington DC I came to appreciate the METRO (Subway) and I have used the CTA in Chicago and while not as new as METRO it works.

I am lucky in the fact that I am basically managing my investments so I will not having to report to an office I work from home. So I am considering what neighborhood I should live in. I like the so called "cultural diversity" that Hyde Park proclaims when I lived in Washington DC I lived in Takoma Park which was very diverse culturally. However, I also like Lakeview too because of its proximity to downtown. Any thoughts?
Becareful of those fancy terms.....when they say "cultural diversity", "gentrified" about a neighborhood, it means that its a hood with some normal people and some new condos going up......U of Chicago students/residents routinely get raped and robbed around Hyde Park area as well.

When I think of "Cultural Diversity" like you are meaning, Im thinking Bucktown, Wicker Park, Ukranian Village and Lakeview....I'd stay away from Hyde Park eventhough its not as bad as Dolton per se, its still seedier than the other areas I named above.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramo Nash View Post
The neighborhoods you mentioned are pretty different. If you imagine a lifestyle that includes exploring all the city has to offer with ease, then I recommend against Hyde Park. Hyde Park has great amenities that are constantly improving (events associated with the university, growing number of cafes and restaurants, very diverse), but it is not easy to get to and from Hyde Park, especially at night, using the CTA.

Lakeview is one of the standard neighborhoods that people moving to chicago for the first time pick--it's very dense, lots going on in terms of restaurants and nightlife, easy access to downtown and public transit, and safe. It definitely does not have the diversity that hyde park or some other areas have, though.

Personally, I would stay away from Hyde Park. If there is something great going on there, you can always make the trek down, but unless you're happy spending a lot of your time in HP, it can be pretty stifling. However, you haven't said much about what you're like, so you might want to check out some of the other threads that newcomers have made about the different neighborhoods.
I'd agree....well unless this person happens to be a righteous black person, then you'd fit right in!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:55 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,804,480 times
dc1225 is a little funny but doesn't understand Hyde Park at all. In fact, it sounds as though he's never been there. First response is accurate -- HP is a cool community but still too isolated and not ideal for a single person looking for action. Great if you work at university and especially if you have kids, still kind of lame otherwise (though improving). Not really any more dangerous than the other neighborhoods dc1225 lists; in fact probably safer.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM

102 posts, read 266,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
dc1225 is a little funny but doesn't understand Hyde Park at all. In fact, it sounds as though he's never been there. First response is accurate -- HP is a cool community but still too isolated and not ideal for a single person looking for action. Great if you work at university and especially if you have kids, still kind of lame otherwise (though improving). Not really any more dangerous than the other neighborhoods dc1225 lists; in fact probably safer.
Totally agree. I lived in HP a number of years and some of my greatest memories are from interacting with non-university residents--playing softball, bsing over a baseball game at jimmy's, going down to Maxine's for jamaican food. There's a tremendous amount of culture going on here that's separate from the university, but that is hugely valuable even for non-"righteous black people." It is true that there is violent crime in HP, but it's a much more serious problem (sadly) in the surrounding communities. Parts of HP are downright suburban--lots of strollers, volvos with obama or "save the point" bumper stickers, and dog-walkers.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:23 PM

838 posts, read 2,047,987 times
Lincoln Park is very diverse too. It is the equivalent of DC's georgetown

Old 10-22-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I have been there, unfortunately, believe me.....there really wasn't nothing there for me, yes......Ok, let him move there and find out on his own then....

Old 10-22-2008, 04:38 PM

19 posts, read 50,692 times
No, I haven't been to Hyde Park I just read about it on the net. When I lived in Takoma Park, Maryland outside DC we had a lot of professors from the University of Maryland who lived in Takoma Park and it made the neighborhood very interesting. There seems to be a racial overtone to this thread which I don't like. I hope racial relations are better in Chicago than they were in DC. I had many African American friends that I still remain close with.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm680 View Post
No, I haven't been to Hyde Park I just read about it on the net. When I lived in Takoma Park, Maryland outside DC we had a lot of professors from the University of Maryland who lived in Takoma Park and it made the neighborhood very interesting. There seems to be a racial overtone to this thread which I don't like. I hope racial relations are better in Chicago than they were in DC. I had many African American friends that I still remain close with.
racial overtone? LOL....dude cmon don't be so sensitive, cheesus criminity! It sounds like Hyde Park would be a good fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago