Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 02:46 AM

1 posts, read 11,749 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody...

In February me and my wife would like to visit Florida, especially Miami. We live in Chicago and we have about 6-7 days vacation. Now, driving from Il. to Fl. takes about 21 hours according to Google maps and we were searching for a few attractions on the way there and back...

Kinda like a road trip, say 2 days driving to Miami, with a few stops along for rest and a few attractions, 3-4 days in Miami and another 2 days back, with different sights...

Can anyone give us an idea, or a website we can look at?... we tried searching for one but no luck so far.

Thank you in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 06:00 AM

7,041 posts, read 14,943,139 times
Well, one point of interest would be the Appalacian mountains...and the ski resorts in NC. (off I-40) Boone, Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mountain)

Another place in NC would be the city of Charlotte, (off I-77) nice place to stay (just stay near the Lake Norman area or downtown or south of the city...the whole swath of what you will encounter off 77 in the middle is sometimes questionable)

Continuing your travels, Savannah, GA, just off I-95, is a very lovely and historic city. Take the carraige ride through river st. (if it runs in Feb; not sure)

Again, off I-95 is St. Augustine (FL). Another historic place.

Florida, itself, is sort of boring other than the main attractions...Cape Canaveral. Daytona, Orlando, etc.

I am thinking that it will take longer than 21 hours. It takes me 13 hours to get to Port Charlotte, FL from here (Charlotte, NC). Now, Port Charlotte is on the west coast, but, it is not as far south as Miami. And, it takes me 13 hours to drive from here to Chicago. So, you really might consider flying to preserve your time in the sun!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:38 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,044,922 times
I envy you -- there is nothing in the world that compares to the U.S. road trip. I've done Chicago-Miami in the winter dozens of times -- it's one of my favorite not because there is anything so interesting to see but because of how you essentially cover 6 months of climate and vegetation in two days (from 0 to 70s typically). It's exhilarating (at least until the drive back). For me the trick is to get out of the midwest as fast as possible on the interstate and switch to the back roads when you hit Georgia. Savannah is a good stopping point on the first night. The old cities of north florida (st. augustine, etc.) are beautiful as well. My best advice though is once you pass atlanta to get off the interstate and take the old state roads, picnic in some parks in some random small georgia towns with no particular attractions, eat boiled peanuts, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantomei View Post
Hello everybody...

In February me and my wife would like to visit Florida, especially Miami. We live in Chicago and we have about 6-7 days vacation. Now, driving from Il. to Fl. takes about 21 hours according to Google maps and we were searching for a few attractions on the way there and back...

Kinda like a road trip, say 2 days driving to Miami, with a few stops along for rest and a few attractions, 3-4 days in Miami and another 2 days back, with different sights...

Can anyone give us an idea, or a website we can look at?... we tried searching for one but no luck so far.

Thank you in advance...

Old 10-27-2008, 08:10 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,448,145 times
Here's a neat site I consult before every road trip:

Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

They have a "map" function if you play around and find it.

Off the top of my head-- depending on what route you take, you could make a stop at Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. The cave is so cool, it's a national park. Here's the website:

Mammoth Cave National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

HAVE FUN!!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,210,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantomei View Post
Hello everybody...

Thank you in advance...
Nothing wrong with this, however, you definitely need more time than 6-7 days vacation. Miami could be only 21 hours, but since it has taken me over 30 between Florida (Central) and Chicago, I would think that is a very low estimate. You are looking at at least 4 days driving time, so then you would have 2 or maybe 3 days in Miami.......

Old 10-28-2008, 12:38 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,057,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Nothing wrong with this, however, you definitely need more time than 6-7 days vacation. Miami could be only 21 hours, but since it has taken me over 30 between Florida (Central) and Chicago, I would think that is a very low estimate. You are looking at at least 4 days driving time, so then you would have 2 or maybe 3 days in Miami.......
Yeah. I think it took us 24 hours to drive to Ft. Lauderdale 7-8 years ago. And that was driving straight - no stops for any attractions on route. You can't take a 7 day vacation with a drive to Miami and expect much enjoyment out of it.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:37 PM

838 posts, read 3,085,215 times
while you are in miami, drive to the keys. the views are amazing

Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,210,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
while you are in miami, drive to the keys. the views are amazing

This would be another 4 + hours depending on traffic (each way). BTW, on a holiday weekend, leaving on a Monday, it took me over 8 hours to get from Key West to Miami with traffic. The keys are great but that is definitely not going to fit in the 7-8 day total (with driving from IL) time frame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago