Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:10 PM

68 posts, read 274,045 times

Advertisements

Simple question:

Will paying and going through the driving school affect my Insurance rate?

I got ticketed in Park Ridge. Driving at 48 in 30mph zone. I have three options:

1. pay the ticket $75
2. pay for traffic school $115 (on the ticket it says, avoid a conviction on your driving record, plead guilty, register for traffic school...)
3. Contest the ticket. For which i have to pay court costs regardless of If i am convicted or not. which would run to be around $120+ticket

I am thinking if I take the school will my Insurance rate get affected? or the avoidance of conviction is just for state purposes?

Anyone have experience in this regard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 05:13 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,861 times
The best option is traffic school. The whole purposes of doing a traffic school is to avoid a conviction. As such, you do not plead guilty. After traffic school, the case against you will be dropped, which means that the court will not even bother to prosecute you. Then you can get your court record expunged and the insurance companies will never be able to find out about your experience with law enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamert View Post
Simple question:

Will paying and going through the driving school affect my Insurance rate?

I got ticketed in Park Ridge. Driving at 48 in 30mph zone. I have three options:

1. pay the ticket $75
2. pay for traffic school $115 (on the ticket it says, avoid a conviction on your driving record, plead guilty, register for traffic school...)
3. Contest the ticket. For which i have to pay court costs regardless of If i am convicted or not. which would run to be around $120+ticket

I am thinking if I take the school will my Insurance rate get affected? or the avoidance of conviction is just for state purposes?

Anyone have experience in this regard?

Old 10-29-2008, 05:28 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
The best option is traffic school. The whole purposes of doing a traffic school is to avoid a conviction. As such, you do not plead guilty. After traffic school, the case against you will be dropped, which means that the court will not even bother to prosecute you. Then you can get your court record expunged and the insurance companies will never be able to find out about your experience with law enforcement.
Lincolnparker is correct. Take the traffic school and be done with it.

The rules must have changed since my wilder haydays. I used to show up to court, request court supervision, pay my fine and be on my way. Depending on the severity of the offense, court supervision ranged from 3-6 months or longer. As long as you are a good little driver and do not get a ticket during that period, the case was automatically dropped against you for completing terms of the agreement. I wonder what happened to that.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Register for traffic school.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,182 times
I learned the hard way. Got a ticket for an illegal U-turn and a speeding ticket. Ignored the traffic school option and just paid the ticket. State Farm charged me six points (the equivalent of two at-fault accidents) and my rate went from about 800/year to 3600/year. Just now (three years later) is it coming off my record. Switching insurance companies helped a tiny bit but not much -- they all seem to use the same formula. As everyone else has said -- go to traffic school!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Not quite. You still plead guilty and you still have a conviction on your record. In fact, you are only eligible for driving school if you plead guilty. It's an enticement to avoid trial -- the state's way of saying "save us some money and we'll do the same for you."

The difference is that if you go to traffic school, while you will still have a conviction on your record, it will not show up on your DMV driving abstract. And it's your driving abstract that's made available to the public (for a fee that is) and it's what your insurance company uses to set and adjust your insurance rates. Also, if you violate the terms of your court supervision & traffic school arrangement, such as getting another moving violation before the term of supervision expires, not only will your second ticket show up on your driving abstract, so will the first ticket that otherwise would have been kept off.

So the bottom line is, it's worth your time and the extra few bucks to go to traffic school. It will save you hundreds in insurance premiums over the next few years.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:30 PM

If you absolutely do not want to do traffic school, nor do you want to have a conviction on your record, and you are willing to pay big bucks for a great attorney, I'd say go get an attorney. If you do not have a prior, the chance of getting a conviction is about 1%.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:19 AM

68 posts, read 274,045 times
I think I will do the traffic school option.. Hopefully It wont show up on my record for insurance purposes.

and yes the option for going to traffic school says that by checking that box you plead guilty.

Last edited by aamert; 10-30-2008 at 08:34 AM..

Old 10-30-2008, 10:56 AM

Interesting. I guess the traffic court operates differently from criminal courts where you do not have to plead anything if given the option of going into some type of educational program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamert View Post
I think I will do the traffic school option.. Hopefully It wont show up on my record for insurance purposes.

and yes the option for going to traffic school says that by checking that box you plead guilty.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:59 PM

300 posts, read 952,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I learned the hard way. Got a ticket for an illegal U-turn and a speeding ticket. Ignored the traffic school option and just paid the ticket. State Farm charged me six points (the equivalent of two at-fault accidents) and my rate went from about 800/year to 3600/year. Just now (three years later) is it coming off my record. Switching insurance companies helped a tiny bit but not much -- they all seem to use the same formula. As everyone else has said -- go to traffic school!
Odd. I've had two speeding tickets and my insurance has barely gone up. I didn't think insurance companies actively searched for points unless you make a claim.

Anyway, I would take the online driving course. You pay an extra $20 free but its very easy and you can take it in multiple sessions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago