U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-02-2008, 03:13 PM

10,692 posts, read 18,283,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
I have always felt torn between living where I feel comfortable and living near family.
I think most of us face this choice in life. I moved to Chicago instead of New York or Boston because I wanted to be close to family, and I don't regret it--especially now that I have a child. Our firm has better job opportunities in the Bay Area right now, but we don't want to move away from our parents. We just decided that we wanted our parents to be a part of our lives and the lives of our children, and made that a top priority. But of course, we both love Chicago, so the compromise isn't as great as the one you would have to make.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:11 AM

3,022 posts, read 3,504,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
Buy thermal underware
Buy good coats,gloves and hats, face masks
Optional: Buy a Stainless steal insulated mug for your favorite hot beverage to keep you warm while standing on the train platform
Throw in a daylight spectrum lamp to help with the SAD and there is your answer. And don't be afraid of the cold, SAD has a lot more to do with sunlight than cold, so bundle up and get outside on cold sunny days.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:56 AM

259 posts, read 510,583 times
Move to Chicago, buy a timeshare in Florida during the winter months, and visit when you can. Unless you have a lot of money, the living conditions in South Florida is terrible right now due to the extra low salaries. If you are broke (which is easy to become down here), you will be just as depressed.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:41 PM

1,464 posts, read 3,747,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4rT1N View Post
To Drover.... you read my mind. To the original poster.... Drover is 100% on the mark there. I'm not sure what you'd expect to get from an internet forum for such important questions. Having said that..... after living away from Chicago for a few years now myself... I can honestly say, you come to really hate everything about Chicago's winters. It's only when you don't have to tolerate them for a year or two that you realize just how crap they are.

but!!!!!! what's more important than your family? Certainly not the weather. Why not give Chicago a try? you can always move if you don't like it
Chicago's winters are crap no doubt, however you need to throw this in... Chicago is unlike any other city in the nation when it comes to it's weather... That said, and now this goes to the OP, while I realize that living in the city seems like all fun and games esp. to a younger person, when it comes right down to it, burbs or city, you will be doing the same crap day in and day out in; Houston, Miami, Chicago, Long Island; wake up, go to work, maybe workout, come home, eat, shower, bed... Weekends maybe hit up the city of which living in the burbs you can still do either via Chicago's mass transit (Metra, CTA, whatever) or in the luxury of your own car.

Now that I have said all this, I'll get back to the point at hand here, our weather. Chicago is by far the trickiest city in the US in terms of weather and predicting it's weather simply due to the way it is layed out. If you think of other cities out there, they are typically shaped in a manner of either being a big square or circle where the downtown is somewhere at the center of it all with the exception of Miami of course due to the swamps being off to the west and ocean on the east, but overall no matter where you are there, you get hot weather. This is NOT the case in Chicago. Chicago's winters vary amazingly different in terms of where you are, from getting snow out of a storm to only getting a chilly rain and a mixture line of freezing rain and sleet somewhere around the DuPage Co area.

I currently reside in the south burbs of Chicago in a perfectly safe neighborhood which is known to yes be rather wealthy, but that is besides the point. Typically when northern burbs and even the northern parts of the city are getting burried in some 10 inches of snow and slop, where I live, we may only get an inch if of snow out of that same system, and areas directly to my south of me, such as Frankfort and Manhattan as well as the New Lenox areas will get nothing other than rain. Now do those areas (Joliet areas) get snow and cold? Of course, but it is significantly less than areas to our north. I travel plenty all around the Chicago area regularly, and always find it amazing how I can leave my house where it will be 38 degrees and we have no snow on the ground, and 40 minutes later be in Hoffman Estates or where ever where it is 28 degrees and they have over a foot of snow on the ground. Its really amazing, but it is simply because of how the city is layed out in a north to south fashion vs a large circle like Denver, Houston, Orlando, and Philly, or a large square like Indy.

All that blabbering said, if you truly hate cloudy conditions, cold, and just dreary weather like I do, then I STRONGLY urge you to first think about this issue long and hard as anywhere in this area (Chicago) still gets it's share of crappy weather, and also really reconsider where you want to live once here. Obviously the further south you can get, the warmer it will get and remain typically, so the area in the Chicago metro area that is subject to the least snow, most above 90 degree days, most sun, and yes unfortunantly the most severe weather due to the higher intensity heat it receives; is New Lenox, Joliet, Frankfort, and areas in that direction. All areas are still under an hour to an hour drive into the Loop, so you still will have easy access to the city. Now all this is mearly based on weather being a major factor of course. There is nothing wrong with the city, however it gets basically no spring due to it being so close to the icy waters of Lake Michigan that by March are some 35 degrees, and the old wives tale of it keeps you warmer in the winter is plain BS. It may make it some 4-6 degrees warmer than inland areas, but creates a crap load of wind, so ok instead of it being 32 degrees with light winds creating a windchill of 28, you are in the city where its maybe 40 degrees with howling NE winds creating a windchill of 22 so which seems warmer?

I hope this all helped.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:51 PM

183 posts, read 577,226 times
I have lived further south than you in Will county (University Park) and I've lived right off the lake in Chicago on South Shore drive. I can say without a doubt that the winters on South Shore drive were milder and less snowy than in Will county. However, neither place will replace a Florida winter.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel2000 View Post
I have lived further south than you in Will county (University Park) and I've lived right off the lake in Chicago on South Shore drive. I can say without a doubt that the winters on South Shore drive were milder and less snowy than in Will county. However, neither place will replace a Florida winter.
Check your weatherbug come March and say that with the winds howling off the lake. Play with these two zip codes. 60611 and 60451 and just click "Set Location" We'll see who's right and wrong, or more like it, who's temperatures are 65 and who's are 45. I'm placing my bet on New Lenox to be 65.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:09 PM

485 posts, read 1,100,828 times
Thanks, everyone! With each post, those Chicago winters are sounder colder and colder! :P I'm still on the fence here. I keep trying to picture myself there, in the dead of winter, and it makes me very scared! I'm still not sure if I could do it again.

I have been searching for Chicago rentals and love, love the vintage buildings. I always wanted to live in an apt. in a place like that in LA, but they were WAY too expensive. Do you think I would be able to get something in a nice area with pretty bad credit? I have a stable job history (am currently employed remotely) and no criminal background, but my credit report leaves much to be desired. Am I fooling myself to think that I will be living in Lincoln Park or Lake View? How important are credit reports to private landlords there?

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:33 PM

5,463 posts, read 6,384,156 times
Quote:
Ok, I was born and raised in northern Illinois (small town of Somonauk to be exact), moved to northern WI and escaped to Florida at the first chance I got --at age 21. I absolutely detest the snow and cold and have SAD - I get very depressed during the winter months. I am 32 now, and for the past 11 years, my husband and I have bounced from coast to coast, from Miami to LA. I LOVE LA and Florida, but now I feel like I must return to IL due to personal issues. I am currently living in Florida, and my husband and I are most likely getting divorced soon.
Would moving improve the state of your marriage?

Quote:
He wants to move near his family in WI. I have the choice to either stay in Florida alone, or to finally move to Chicago to be near my family, who I rarely see. I am extremely close to my younger sister, and my parents are getting up there in age - my dad has started having many health problems in the past few years. I have been away for years, and feel like I have missed out and so much time with them.
Do you have a group of close personal friends you would leave behind and miss in FLA? Some individuals do OK by themselves, others need the support of friends or family nearby.
Quote:
I know you guys will think I am a wimp for being so terrifed of the snow and cold, but the thought of moving to Chicago in the middle of the winter terrifies me. I am a summer, Florida, California girl through and through...what would you do if you were me?
I do not htink you're a wimp. My sister-in-law was born in Quebec and live there until 8. Family moved to TX and she lives in Tampa. She's not used to the cold and hates it. I think her blood thinned out. It can be more pronounced the older you are. It does take a certain mind-set to embrace a Chicago/WI winter. You are asking a very legitimate question.
Quote:
I work for a Los Angeles company remotely (as a writer) but only make around $30,000 a year, so living in LA alone is out. I don't know many people in FL (have been living in LA the past 4 years), so I am scared that I will be lonely down here alone. I need to make a decision by next month. I am leaning towards Chicago, and think it would be a great city to live in, especially with my family nearby...but I would miss the warm weather, ocean, etc...

So, any advice for me? Live in a state I love, alone, or move to Chicago and have the support of family nearby? Is it time to bite it and move back "home?" Although my mom, brother and sister live in the suburbs, I would love to live right in Chicago. Another problem is that I have very poor credit and am afraid I won't get to live in a nice area of the city. My budget for an apt. is about $850/month, and I would be happy with a studio in Lincoln Park or any other cool, safe area. Ahhhhhh, I'm stressed right now. I would appreciate any advice! Would an LA/FL girl like living in Chicago??
Do you/will you need to travel to LA for meetings, for your job? It is usually cheaper to travel over a weekend, so you might be able to leverage this to get to LA in the winter. Example: Company needs you in LA for a week. They fly you out Sun eve or early Mon AM and back the following Fri. May be Cheaper for company to Fly you out Sat and return Sat. Be careful about cost of living in Chi. Not as high as LA but still more than many areas. $30K a year is tight.
AND-DO NOT DO A TIME SHARE as previous poster suggested. Consumer Reports and similar publications have proven they cost more than they are typically worth.
And Chicago from May through October is wonderful. You may miss the ocean, but the inland sea known as Lake Michigan is quite nice.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Thanks, everyone! With each post, those Chicago winters are sounder colder and colder! :P I'm still on the fence here. I keep trying to picture myself there, in the dead of winter, and it makes me very scared! I'm still not sure if I could do it again.

I have been searching for Chicago rentals and love, love the vintage buildings. I always wanted to live in an apt. in a place like that in LA, but they were WAY too expensive. Do you think I would be able to get something in a nice area with pretty bad credit? I have a stable job history (am currently employed remotely) and no criminal background, but my credit report leaves much to be desired. Am I fooling myself to think that I will be living in Lincoln Park or Lake View? How important are credit reports to private landlords there?

Thanks!
Just had to tease you a little. Doesn't this look like fun?
YouTube - snow storm chicago march 21-08 AHHHHH welcome back home. LMFAO!!! And the best part is this was shot in MARCH! ROTFLMFAO!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:06 PM

485 posts, read 1,100,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Just had to tease you a little. Doesn't this look like fun?
YouTube - snow storm chicago march 21-08 AHHHHH welcome back home. LMFAO!!! And the best part is this was shot in MARCH! ROTFLMFAO!!!
Oh, my my - NO this doesn't look like fun! And I'm not sure if my car could handle those conditions, either.

A March snowstorm does NOT surprise me, either. I remember living in northern WI and crying over an April blizzard. March was always my worst month in the Midwest - it is such a tease. You always think spring and summer is right around the corner, and then it snows. Thanks for bringing it all back! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago