Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 10,886 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Chicago this June with my girlfriend, she is going to be looking for a teaching job, and I will be looking for a business position ( I know terrible time for that field but I will deal with whatever I can get as long as she can teach in a moderately safe location)

Does anyone have any advice they can give as to where I should look, I personally would like to live in an apartment building in a safe neighborhood. I have mainly been looking at things in the lakeview area but I have no idea as to what crime is like in that region.

I think my main concern is being in a fairly low crime area with access to public transportation, in the $1500 range for a 1-2 bedroom apt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by johnyq1982; 11-05-2008 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 02:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Did you consult the sticky at the top of the Chicago forum first?

Old 11-05-2008, 02:48 PM

I looked over it, but most of what I saw pertained to what to do once you've made a decision.

I am looking for more help in terms of
1) Is this the right area to be looking
2)If not where should I be looking
3) The best area to rent in a large apt building

I am 26 and she is 22, I have lived on long island for most of my life, but would really like to live in a city atmosphere. I just don't want to drop myself in a bad part of town while chasing cheaper rent prices.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:07 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyq1982 View Post
I looked over it, but most of what I saw pertained to what to do once you've made a decision.

I am looking for more help in terms of
1) Is this the right area to be looking
2)If not where should I be looking
3) The best area to rent in a large apt building

I am 26 and she is 22, I have lived on long island for most of my life, but would really like to live in a city atmosphere. I just don't want to drop myself in a bad part of town while chasing cheaper rent prices.
I think you might want to read that a little closer. Many of the following threads included in the sticky have the information you're seeking. But you'll have to really try to pay $1500 for a 1 bedroom and end up in a bad neighborhood.

Chi Neighborhoods;Where are the 20 somethings?
How far north is still 'in the city'?
Help with Choosing a Neighborhood
can anyone tell me if these are good locations?
Anyone move here from Miami?
Want to relocate, possibly to Chicago...
Where is the best place to live in Chicago for a college grad??
First Time Relocating Help
Moving to Chicago for job at U of C - advice on neighborhoods?
Moving to Chicago Too
Trying to get all of my ducks in a row
New City Community Area
Moving from NYC
Tired of NYC - Move to Chicago?
Queens NY to Chicago...
Neighborhood Suggestion
Moving from NYC to Chicago
Considering moving to Chicago
looking for the safest neighborhoods and suburbs as a single woman living alone
help for young professional moving into city
Please Help! What areas of Chicago do the young professionals live/hang-out in?
Comparing NYC Neighborhoods and Chicago Neighborhoods
Upper middle class African American Seeking Diverse Housing in Chicago
Looking for advice on a good neighborhood
Help me find an area to live in!!!!!!!!
may move to Chicago - cost of living?
A Place For Me?? ADVICE NEEDED
What are the neighborhoods in the city?
Narrow it down...
Moving To Chicago In July From Jersey/nyc. Need Help With Neighborhood!
Any Safe Areas Near The Beach?
where to move for 24 yr old bachelor?
Eclectic Neighborhoods?
Things to know before moving to Chicago
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...n-chicago.html
Another "Moving to Chicago" thread w/ a twist. (please help)
Moving to Chi: artsy couple needs advice
Chicago...where to live?
More (probably annoying!) 'all about Chicago' questions...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ago-faq-s.html
Overrated and Underrated
Saftey vs. Cost Friendly
Is Chicago really dangerous?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Most new teachers do not get the luxury or luck to teach in a "moderately safe location" their first couple of years.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:07 PM

Thank you for your insight, unlike you she went to a good school and will have her choice.

In the future why don't you keep your mouth shut if you only want to refer to your missed opportunities.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Thank you for your insight, unlike you she went to a good school and will have her choice.

In the future why don't you keep your mouth shut if you only want to refer to your missed opportunities.
I am not a teacher [mod cut]. I know of several teachers in the CPS personally that had to start out in crappy areas.

Last edited by aragx6; 11-06-2008 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: haha, but no

Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:

Listen swizzledink, the guy's just trying to give you a heads-up, so you might do well to stuff the attitude if you expect him or anyone else to continue helping you out.

You evidently have zero conception of how brutally competitive the teaching industry is around here. One opening in a halfway decent district or neighborhood will attract hundreds of resumes. If you think your oh-so-accomplished girlfriend is going to waltz right in here and land a job at Northside Prep or Whitney Young, you can forget it. A Harvard Masters in education isn't half as valuable as knowing the right people. It's not fair, it's not right, but that's how the game is played around here. Absent aforementioned connections, it doesn't matter how impressive you think her resume is -- she won't get to pick and choose her position.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:36 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:

Hahaha -- any chance you had of getting helpful and informative advice from the members of this forum is now completely gone.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:39 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
^^ Yikes, x100!

I agree though. As a student teacher myself, I am seeing how tight it is in the suburbs. My wife is special education, and as such, she already landed a few interviews and is reviewing contracts. If you're science or math, expect similar results- city or suburbs.

I, however, am an English teacher. Jobs are scarce in this field, along with History teachers. At the school I am at right now, there is an opening in the English department that will supposedly cause 750 applications to be submitted. The scariest thing is that I'm in a not-so-great district.

To the OP: if your girlfriend is an elementary teacher- be wary. I've seen the ratio of applications to openings, and it is absolutely scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: