Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:15 PM

25 posts, read 48,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
OP, were you still looking to go Spring of 09?? or are you looking for Fall of 09?

looking at the Roosevelt website, that school is actually MORE expensive than Columbia (though not really by much). yes, Roosevelt shares the University Center w/ Columbia and Depaul, and they're nice dorms, but pricey (looks like it's $11k/academic year for a private bedroom in an apartment dorm).

I absolutely do NOT want to discourage the OP and hope she gets in, but a bit of realism is needed here. not sure what your income levels are like, but you'll find funding an education w/o a job will be very, very, hard, especially in these times. first off, you make no mention of parents, so not sure if they will be helping you out w/ the money, but regardless if they or aren't, unless you're an orphan or ward of the court, you'll be considered a dependent student, and won't get as much in gov't loans (though, if your parents are involved, they can get the PLUS loan). private loans are disappearing w/ the banks doing so badly, and, unless you have stellar credit (which would be unlikely at 19), will be hard to get (I gave up looking for private loans to fully cover my tuition and just work PT instead. plus, the interest rates of those private loans are brutal!). it doesn't look like you'll be eligible for many merit scholarships or grants either, but apply for them anyways, you may luck out. w/ tuition, room and board, and all the fees included, it'll be at least $30k per year. even if only half of this amount is in loans, $60k is a huge amount for a new teacher to have to pay back the first year out of school. heck, $30K in loans would be tough to pay back, assuming 75% of your costs are covered by grants and scholarships

not trying to rain on your parade, just hope these are points you have/will address and weigh carefully when looking at schools and on campus living
I applied for Spring '09.
My father is only going to pay the $500 pre-payment fee for my housing, and that's it. He cannot give me, nor would he even offer money for tuition. My parents are divorced, and I only put my father on my FAFSA. I don't even talk to my mother.
I don't know what my FAFSA is covering, and I guess I won't know until I get an acceptance letter.
I do work part time, and don't plan on quitting that job. I just can't work so much AND go for 4 classes at once.
I don't have credit, and will be opening up my first card as soon as I am admitted as a student, so I can qualify for a student credit card. I will be opening one from CitiBank, and will also be taking a student loan from CitiBank.

I'm not trying to have my head in the clouds, and I really hope I am doing well with my research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 08:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Honestly, and you totally don't have to listen to my advice, but I'll say it anyway, I would go to college in a less expensive place. If you went to a college town your cost of living would be much lower. What about somewhere like University of Illinois Springfield?

For me, at the University of Missouri it was way cheaper to live off campus. I had a duplex with some friends my junior year and it was less than $300/month including all utilities. That's how you save on the student loans.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 AM

It is a good idea, money wise. But I don't think I could pull myself to leave my best friends. Plus, I don't think I could get a transfer at work.

If I don't get accepted to Roosevelt, I will probably do it, though, now that I think about it more.

Thank you, I probably wouldn't have even let it be an option. =p

Old 11-14-2008, 10:37 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Honestly, and you totally don't have to listen to my advice, but I'll say it anyway, I would go to college in a less expensive place. If you went to a college town your cost of living would be much lower. What about somewhere like University of Illinois Springfield?

For me, at the University of Missouri it was way cheaper to live off campus. I had a duplex with some friends my junior year and it was less than $300/month including all utilities. That's how you save on the student loans.
Wow UIS is not that hard to get into, with those grades it will still be difficult. As a transfer student, it is relatively easy. However, for incoming freshman it tends to be more difficult. This may have change with the new general freshman admission, but I don't think it has.

Does Northeastern have dorms, I think that would better serve what the OP is looking for, since it is still in the city.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Wow UIS is not that hard to get into, with those grades it will still be difficult. As a transfer student, it is relatively easy. However, for incoming freshman it tends to be more difficult. This may have change with the new general freshman admission, but I don't think it has.

Does Northeastern have dorms, I think that would better serve what the OP is looking for, since it is still in the city.
Substitute the word 'Wow' with 'While.'

Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestial4you View Post
It is a good idea, money wise. But I don't think I could pull myself to leave my best friends.
You are choosing your college for all the wrong reasons. You are going into debt because you are investing in your future prospects down the road. 10-15 years from now, as you're still sending a big chunk of your paycheck to Sallie Mae every month, I think you'll be regretting the fact that you picked your college based on your high school boyfriend (who may or may not be a stalker), your high school friends (who chances are will have been completely replaced by new friendships in a few years time), and your high school job (which should have no bearing on this at all).

Old 11-14-2008, 03:29 PM

27 posts, read 63,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post

Northeastern doesn't have dorms. It's a commuter college.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrgrrrl View Post
Northeastern doesn't have dorms. It's a commuter college.
Thank you, wasn't sure.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
You are choosing your college for all the wrong reasons. You are going into debt because you are investing in your future prospects down the road. 10-15 years from now, as you're still sending a big chunk of your paycheck to Sallie Mae every month, I think you'll be regretting the fact that you picked your college based on your high school boyfriend (who may or may not be a stalker), your high school friends (who chances are will have been completely replaced by new friendships in a few years time), and your high school job (which should have no bearing on this at all).
I'm sorry, but how is choosing my college based solely on money the right reason?
I am choosing Roosevelt because it has a lot to offer me not because of anything else. If that were the case I would be choosing a school someone else picked for me.
Just because I don't want to look in another city doesn't mean Roosevelt is wrong for me.
Yeah, I might be picking a school close to those I love and love me, but they are all I have. So please excuse me while I choose to stay close to the only real 'family' I've ever had.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:22 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestial4you View Post
I'm sorry, but how is choosing my college based solely on money the right reason?
I will share for you my experiences. Most college majors are worthless. The exceptions are professional and practical degrees. Law, Med, and Pharm are slam dunks, MBA, accounting, economics, and engineering are also OK. Most other majors will barely help you get a job.

Second sad fact, employers for the most part don't give a darn what college your degree came from. They just want an employee with a degree as cheap as possible. They expect you have a Bachelors, because almost everyone does, but they don't want to pay you for it. They prefer experience over education anyways.

I have a Master's and was lucky to get a job that paid over 40k, and it was with the fed govt. I had offers for 30k or even below from the private sector.

My advice is to get a BS as cheaply as possible then hit the workforce and work your way up. Don't sell your soul with student loans and consign yourself to a life of poverty and struggle for a degree from a "good school." I am so relieved I got my degree from an affordable university UIC and don't have student loans dangling over my head like a piano waiting to crush me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago