Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:26 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,845,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude1959 View Post
Where is it that they exactly go?

I know they are still on taxpayers dimes but do they get to live in non-government housing?

Never got a good answer

thanks
I think some go to Section 8 housing. I know someone who owns Section 8 properties and she does very well with them. Makes decent money from the government subsidized rents. The govt pays the majority of the rent and then the renters kick in a portion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 12:32 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,845,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I would really like to see what the yearly expense for section 8 in IL is. They should really cap it somehow, say unlmited time for seniors or disabled people and then x amount for other people. How is the government helping people if they just keep on giving them free rent, there is no motivation to get them to work.
Yes, but remember that private citizens with money own the Section 8 properties and they make good money renting them out. I would imagine they get tax breaks from putting their rentals in the Section 8 program. And if the trickle down theory holds true, the Landlords take that money and spend it and enhance the economy so perhaps it all evens out? So if you want the benefits of the Section 8 program, buy an apartment building and put it in the Section 8 system. It may be a win-win. You help someone else while making some money for yourself and the rest of us indirectly pay for it. But now you have some income and spend the money and that money goes back into the economy, benefitting all of us.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:56 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,842,552 times
Default section 8 owners, sometimes part of the problem

I don't need to have wagers, just go to the CHA, where they post their data. This is where the 86 black, 11 percent hispanic and 3 percent white for Section 8 vouchers comes from.

I had thought about doing Section 8 but ultimately decided against it. I have enough problems evicting my regular tenants. I don't need the hassle of Section 8.

Some Section 8 landlords do make a good living off of taxpayers. Trickle down economics does not work as consumption is reduced as you go up the economic food chain. Any basic economics course can tell you this.

Section 8 landlords in bad areas are not really doing any harm. It is when you start moving Section 8 into formerly decent suburbs, whereby you subsidize the existence of poor people who otherwise would not be able to live there without public assistance that I have issues. These Section 8 renters (mostly black but not all) bring their problems with them, including crime and drugs and gangs.

Over time, this has the potential to bring down entire neighborhoods and has.

The only way to truly keep an area nice is to price out Section 8 by keeping housing too expensive for the govt to force in new neighbors. River Forest has done a great job of this as has Wilmette (neighboring Skokie has Section 8 only a few blocks away, where one of my co-workers used to live with some people who were scum to say the least).

Any working class suburb with relatively cheap housing is at risj of being stuck with Section 8 residents.

Itasca has been able to avoid many of the pains of Addison by limiting rentals. There are only two large apartment buildings in Itasca. There may be Section 8 in some of them (I honestly don't know) but the much larger of the two is on the other side of I-290, thus isolated from the rest of Itasca. Addison has done this somewhat the same, with Section 8 housing mostly west of I-355 but there is a lot of cheap apartments near addison road and lake that have lots of problems. Because Itasca has limited its rental units, it will avoid the Section 8 that plagues Addison.

Yes, I think that Section 8 is a plague, filled with people who take and give nothing back. If Section 8 only helped the helpless I would be okay, but when it subsidizes the existence of able bodied people and pays for children they shouldn't be having in the first place I have a problem.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:28 AM

838 posts, read 3,086,875 times
the section 8 housing in Itasca is called the Colonial Village Apartments on norwood, behind some warehouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I don't need to have wagers, just go to the CHA, where they post their data. This is where the 86 black, 11 percent hispanic and 3 percent white for Section 8 vouchers comes from.

I had thought about doing Section 8 but ultimately decided against it. I have enough problems evicting my regular tenants. I don't need the hassle of Section 8.

Some Section 8 landlords do make a good living off of taxpayers. Trickle down economics does not work as consumption is reduced as you go up the economic food chain. Any basic economics course can tell you this.

Section 8 landlords in bad areas are not really doing any harm. It is when you start moving Section 8 into formerly decent suburbs, whereby you subsidize the existence of poor people who otherwise would not be able to live there without public assistance that I have issues. These Section 8 renters (mostly black but not all) bring their problems with them, including crime and drugs and gangs.

Over time, this has the potential to bring down entire neighborhoods and has.

The only way to truly keep an area nice is to price out Section 8 by keeping housing too expensive for the govt to force in new neighbors. River Forest has done a great job of this as has Wilmette (neighboring Skokie has Section 8 only a few blocks away, where one of my co-workers used to live with some people who were scum to say the least).

Any working class suburb with relatively cheap housing is at risj of being stuck with Section 8 residents.

Itasca has been able to avoid many of the pains of Addison by limiting rentals. There are only two large apartment buildings in Itasca. There may be Section 8 in some of them (I honestly don't know) but the much larger of the two is on the other side of I-290, thus isolated from the rest of Itasca. Addison has done this somewhat the same, with Section 8 housing mostly west of I-355 but there is a lot of cheap apartments near addison road and lake that have lots of problems. Because Itasca has limited its rental units, it will avoid the Section 8 that plagues Addison.

Yes, I think that Section 8 is a plague, filled with people who take and give nothing back. If Section 8 only helped the helpless I would be okay, but when it subsidizes the existence of able bodied people and pays for children they shouldn't be having in the first place I have a problem.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:27 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,842,552 times
Default lincolnparker

Are colonial apartments the only Section 8. It does not surprise me that a bunch of warehouses separate them from the rest of Itasca. There is a fair number of Section 8 just east of Itasca in Wood Dale.

I would not buy a home near Section 8 housing in Itasca. Notice I said home, not apartment building, though I will continue to avoid renting to Section 8 as long as I can.

Last edited by Humboldt1; 11-15-2008 at 05:42 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 11:43 AM

28 posts, read 126,490 times
karl,

I will read and let you know

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Here is an excellent article in The Atlantic about Section 8 and crime patterns. It's long, 14 pages if you print it out, but worth reading if you are interested in this sort of thing:

"Why is crime rising in so many American cities? The answer implicates one of the most celebrated antipoverty programs of recent decades." The whole story:

The Atlantic Online | July/August 2008 | American Murder Mystery | Hanna Rosin

Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 AM

72 posts, read 211,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
How about this... If you seriously think that he is wrong, I am willing to wager any amount you wish- I will post in an online escrow account and expect you do do the same- that a grossly disproportionate number of Section 8 housing voucher recipients in Chicago are black. I sincerely mean any amount you wish. If you're interested, let me know, and we can go on to define what constitutes "grossly disproportionate" and post the money.

Lets see if you genuinely "don't believe him" or if you're just doing that stupid conversational tactic where someone mentions an unfortunate racial truism that speaks negatively about a particular group of people, and you demand sixteen independent studies in order to halt the dialog.
PokerPlayer, I could have not said it any better. Notice how there were no takers for this wager. Hypocrisy lives on in the world of Liberals.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:04 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,002,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Are colonial apartments the only Section 8. It does not surprise me that a bunch of warehouses separate them from the rest of Itasca. There is a fair number of Section 8 just east of Itasca in Wood Dale.

I would not buy a home near Section 8 housing in Itasca. Notice I said home, not apartment building, though I will continue to avoid renting to Section 8 as long as I can.
How do you know where Section 8 exists and where it doesn't in order to by that home?

Old 11-17-2008, 01:09 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,049,400 times
Uh, don't you think that there are both brilliant people and idiots on either side of the liberal/conservative divide? Obviously anyone who would doubt that blacks dominate section 8 in chicago, that black neighborhoods overall in Chicago are far more crime ridden, have crappy public schools, etc. etc. is obviously a complete moron and shouldn't be taken seriously. I don't think this observation by itself is worth celebrating too much, though. What to do about these problems brings up some tough issues and I'm not at all convinced that the classic conservative arguments (based on sink or swim, self-reliance, etc.) are any more practical than the liberal ones (which I think can be naive but at least attempt to get to the root of the problem). I'd rather pay a Section 8 voucher e.g. than to house someone in leavenworth for fifty years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potter View Post
PokerPlayer, I could have not said it any better. Notice how there were no takers for this wager. Hypocrisy lives on in the world of Liberals.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 PM

72 posts, read 211,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Uh, don't you think that there are both brilliant people and idiots on either side of the liberal/conservative divide? Obviously anyone who would doubt that blacks dominate section 8 in chicago, that black neighborhoods overall in Chicago are far more crime ridden, have crappy public schools, etc. etc. is obviously a complete moron and shouldn't be taken seriously. I don't think this observation by itself is worth celebrating too much, though. What to do about these problems brings up some tough issues and I'm not at all convinced that the classic conservative arguments (based on sink or swim, self-reliance, etc.) are any more practical than the liberal ones (which I think can be naive but at least attempt to get to the root of the problem). I'd rather pay a Section 8 voucher e.g. than to house someone in leavenworth for fifty years.
The problem is that we will pay for both many times. It is so common to find that one of the section 8 residents loses his/her voucher after picking up a felony charge, thus heading to jail in some instances. So we will pay one way or the other- and sometimes both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago