Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 15,000 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have a few questions that I was hoping someone might help me out with.

1. I will be going to school at the Pharmacy building at UIC; is this generally a safe area to be in? I mean, would I have to worry about maybe leaving around 6 or 7 PM or maybe even 10 PM a few nights per week?

1a. Is there a form of public transportation what will go directly to here? If so, is it generally safe?

2. I'll be making a trip to figure out where to live, especially checking out the suburbs. What I'm looking for ahead of time would be some suburbs that are reasonably close to campus, but are also safe. I am from a small to moderate sized city (500,000 population) and by "safe" I mean that I wouldn't have to worry about home invasions; can leave the car outside in the driveway without worrying excessively that it will be broken into on a regular basis and don't have to worry about my wife coming home late at night. I can deal with the costs and so forth, I'm just like to have some ideas in mind with respect to proximity, ease of transport and safety.

2a. I'd also like to find a place that would allow me quick and easy access to the rail forms of transportation (or other public transport).

3. While I realize that viewing these forums might create a skewed view of any city or area, I'm starting to become a bit worried. From what I have gathered, it doesn't seem entirely uncommon for many on here to claim that they know one or more people that have been robbed or mugged at gun or knife point. I didn't exactly grow up in the greatest place in the country, but I don't actually know anyone personally that has been mugged or robbed. So, how exactly bad are things?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 02:44 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I grew up in Coralville and moved to Chicago to go to UIC a few years ago.

The campus is right near the Blue Line, and I never once had a problem with any crime, etc. I lived in the city near Logan Square on the northwest side.

I'm not sure about suburbs, my only condition on moving to Chicago was that I HAD to live in the city, and refused to even think about the suburbs. Why move from Iowa to Chicago and live in the burbs! The burbs are just like anything you'd find in Des Moines or the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area as far as I've found.

There is crime, but just keep your wits about yourself and don't go wander around in bad neighborhoods. I personally like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Roscoe Village, Wicker Park.

Maybe look at something around the Logan Square Blue Line stop, I loved living there for 3 years after moving to Chicago. Or something around the Damen stop on the Blue Line.

That'd be really easy for commuting. if you're in the suburbs, just get ready for a bad commute driving in on 290. It's jam packed at almost all hours it seems. You have to clear the fairly bad suburbs on the near west side before finding something you're looking for west of 294.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
UIC has free shuttle buses for campus locations. Look into them on their website or call & ask someone at the colllege.

http://fmweb.fm.uic.edu/Trans/default.aspx
http://fmweb.fm.uic.edu/Trans/intercampus.aspx

Old 11-17-2008, 03:47 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
I would assume that the Pharmacy building is right next to their hospital, and nursing college. If so there is a pink line stop within a few blocks and a blue line stop 5 or 6 blocks away. The area has had some huge improvements over the past couple years. That being said there is still some lower income housing around this area and crime does exist. If she stays to the better parts Im sure she will be fine. When it comes to commuting you are able to take the EL to a metra stop if you would like or you can obviously drive. There are a ton of suburbs around the city so I wouldnt even know where to begin making recommendations.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM

6 posts, read 15,000 times
Default Thank you!

Just wanted to thank those that have replied.

Regarding the choice of suburbs versus downtown, I'm in agreement, but it would appear one is destined to be in an apartment or something similar if living downtown and my wife refuses to live in places where she can hear others around us through the walls and so forth (yes, she has superhuman hearing).

I'm probably just a bit naive, but I was hoping there would be a safe, nice suburb just a few blocks away from the trains.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:49 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethertime View Post
I'm probably just a bit naive, but I was hoping there would be a safe, nice suburb just a few blocks away from the trains.
Your best bet may be to check out the Northwest side or Oak Park. Some parts of Berwyn and Cicero are OK as well.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:51 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Your best bet may be to check out the Northwest side or Oak Park. Some parts of Berwyn and Cicero are OK as well.
What about Forest Park?
(I know nothing about it except it's a quick ride on the blue line to UIC from there.)

Old 11-17-2008, 10:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
What about Forest Park?
(I know nothing about it except it's a quick ride on the blue line to UIC from there.)
Forest Park is so-so and borders some really tough areas. I would not recommend it to most people that are not familiar with the Chicago area or do not have much urban experience.

River Grove or River Grove would be a much better choices if they can afford it.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:52 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandwein View Post
Diversity is a joy, just keep on telling yourself that everyone who tells you that, ad nauseum, is right. No seriously, most of the diversicrats who will tell you not to worry will be non-married 'foodies' that are experts on diverse restaurant choices, not culture or sociology or stats on a meaningful level. Trust your own instinct. Ask other married couples or people with kids. "There are lies, more lies, and then statistics." Somebody said that.

Of course that kind of stuff above doesn't happen in Iowa often, as your experience shows.

Anyway, regarding "rail" it is far better to use the Metra suburban commuter trains than it is the CTA which is mostly used within the city proper. I'd check out a nice place like Glenview which is on a Metra line, it's safe and probably like what you are used to in Iowa. It's a civilized place.

The Metra train would take you into Union Station, (see on a map) which you could then take a cab to UIC. You could always drive down the Edens and Kennedy Expys. too.
oh please.

and if they take metra to Union Station they can walk to the Clinton blue line stop and go one stop directly to UIC...

but i can tell you're not the public transit type.

Last edited by scarletneon; 11-18-2008 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: blue line brain fart

Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethertime View Post
Just wanted to thank those that have replied.

Regarding the choice of suburbs versus downtown, I'm in agreement, but it would appear one is destined to be in an apartment or something similar if living downtown and my wife refuses to live in places where she can hear others around us through the walls and so forth (yes, she has superhuman hearing).

Thanks again for the help.

So you're looking for a single family home? How much are you planning on spending?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago