Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Note how the gentrifiers put locked fences in front of their buildings, you never used to see that kind of thing. Such people fence off their stoops and don't sit on them anyway. Stoop sitting was a big part of neighborhood feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Yeah that's really true.
No it is not.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I have seen Blacks,Gypsies,Polish,Greeks,Italians, and Hispanics (as well as others) putting up these fences the last 25 years in Chicago long before the gentrifiers started coming in. I do not think what you are saying is true at all. People such as these were the first to use the black wrought iron locked gates-not the gentrifiers.
Gentrifiers get blamed for many things they aren't responsible for. This is one case.

A friend of mine grew up in Pilsen. His family snuck in to the United States when he was nine years old, and he got amnesty in the late 80s and is now a U.S. citizen along with his parents. His dad bought a handful of buildings in Pilsen in the 80s, fixed them up, and was the first to put up black wrought iron gates in the neighborhood (or so my friend claims). He says that people were livid at first about the fences and gates, but that they soon caught on with other immigrant property owners in the area. So yeah, this did not start with gentrification.

By the way, my friend's father now has a net worth well into the seven figures because of his property holdings, and this once illegal immigrant family now has three college-educated sons in professional jobs because they were given a path to citizenship. These men (now in their 30s) are living the American dream and have accepted much of what "white America" offers while keeping one foot firmly planted in their Mexican roots. I'd like to think this would happen more often if people were given a change to fully participate in American life.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:42 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,932 times
Quote:
No it is not.
Say's who? We probably grew up in different neighborhoods, so who the hell are u to say it wasn't? In alot of the neighborhoods I lived in, life was simple n casual like that n was a big thing to do. Maybe not wherever the hell u grew up but u can't tell me what my life was like growing up.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Say's who? We probably grew up in different neighborhoods, so who the hell are u to say it wasn't? In alot of the neighborhoods I lived in, life was simple n casual like that n was a big thing to do. Maybe not wherever the hell u grew up but u can't tell me what my life was like growing up.
I have seen it all over the city kiddo since you were in your diapers.

If you have not seen these fences until recently-you must not get around to different parts of the city much.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I have seen it all over the city kiddo since you were in your diapers.

If you have not seen these fences until recently-you must not get around to different parts of the city much.
Growing up when I was younger down in Bridgeport chillin on the stoop or porch back then with ur neighbors was a big part of the day, some other neighborhoods I lived in maybe not so much, but fences just didn't magically appear on everybody's lawn from Howard St. down to 170th st. one day. And alot of neighborhoods had that lifestyle too, obviously I'm not the only one on the forum who thinks so.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Growing up when I was younger down in Bridgeport chillin on the stoop or porch back then with ur neighbors was a big part of the day, some other neighborhoods I lived in maybe not so much, but fences just didn't magically appear on everybody's lawn from Howard St. down to 170th st. one day. And alot of neighborhoods had that lifestyle too, obviously I'm not the only one on the forum who thinks so.
I never said areas did not have the front porch thing and certain things you speak of.

All I am saying is locked gates have been going on long before the gentrifiers came. Those locked gates started in the crappy/so-so areas of the city as well as areas that were surrounded by crap or under siege from crappy areas. I have seen them in Austin,Albany Park,Wicker Park,Bucktown,Rogers Park,Humboldt Park,Galewood,Montclare,and more since you were a wee little baby.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,642 times
Translate it in babelfish.yahoo.com
"tu vecindad es linda pero hay demasiado morenos"
If I write it some self-righteous goon will cut and paste, ascribe the thought to me, and give me some patronizing lecture about diversity.

Quote:
Why not translate the whole sentence? Not everyone here understands every word in Mexican Spanish.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Translate it in babelfish.yahoo.com
"tu vecindad es linda pero hay demasiado morenos"
If I write it some self-righteous goon will cut and paste, ascribe the thought to me, and give me some patronizing lecture about diversity.
Ok fair enough. Now I know a new tool to use.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I never said areas did not have the front porch thing and certain things you speak of.

All I am saying is locked gates have been going on long before the gentrifiers came. Those locked gates started in the crappy/so-so areas of the city as well as areas that were surrounded by crap or under siege from crappy areas. I have seen them in Austin,Albany Park,Wicker Park,Bucktown,Rogers Park,Humboldt Park,Galewood,Montclare,and more since you were a wee little baby.
Oh OK my bad. True those fences have been around for a while, but gentrification sure seemed to increase them by at least a little bit when they put up these new condo complexes.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Oh OK my bad. True those fences have been around for a while, but gentrification sure seemed to increase them by at least a little bit.
I really have not seen an increase in the last few years in most areas that are or have gentrified. If anything, there is a decrease as gentrification increases and/or completes.

The areas that you may be seeing more of it are in areas that are still up in the air where the future is uncertain. That is usually when the fences go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago