U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 12-01-2008, 10:35 PM

668 posts, read 1,332,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The areas that you may be seeing more of it are in areas that are still up in the air where the future is uncertain. That is usually when the fences go up.
Yeah that's true.

Unread 12-01-2008, 10:44 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,658,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Yeah that's true.
Much of the time when the fences go up they are put up by the long-time residents.

For example: I have a friend who lived with his family in Albany Park since the mid 70's until he moved a couple of years ago. His family still lives there. They are Mexican and have had a black wrought iron locked fence around their property since the mid-80's and it still is up (for now.)

Unread 12-02-2008, 09:35 AM

5,223 posts, read 7,075,450 times
I find the use of the word "gringo" by Hispanics in the USA sort of ironic, seeing that the word means "foreigner" so how does this word apply to whites, or anyone for that matter who was born in the US? People throw around words like farts anymore. Just tune them out.

Unread 12-02-2008, 09:53 AM

1,967 posts, read 3,458,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I find the use of the word "gringo" by Hispanics in the USA sort of ironic, seeing that the word means "foreigner" so how does this word apply to whites, or anyone for that matter who was born in the US? People throw around words like farts anymore. Just tune them out.
Regardless of its etymology, in practice it just means "someone from the U.S."
Spanish is my first language but that word has never once come out of my mouth. I would have been slapped silly by my mom. It says more about the person using it than anything else. Of course it helps that my dad is american but educated Latin Americans in general despise that word.

Unread 12-02-2008, 09:59 AM

4,209 posts, read 5,466,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Ok fair enough. Now I know a new tool to use.
www.reverso.net works better.

Unread 12-02-2008, 10:24 AM

72 posts, read 129,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTed View Post
The only flag that should be flying in any city or suburb in the United States is the American flag so the Puerto Rican flags should be taken down anyway. If you're so proud to be Puerto Rican, then move to Puerto Rico where they have the Puerto Rican flag flying all over. Even people who just have the Italian, Mexican etc flags on their cars tick me off because we're in the United States. If you're so proud to be Italian, Mexican or Puerto Rican (nobody is saying that you don't have that right), then go live in Italy, Mexico or Puerto Rico. I'm not trying to sound righteous but I'm proud to be American and I don't walking around trying to oppress and force my culture on others like a good number of Italians, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans tend to do. People of all nationalities annoy me but people from those nationalities tend to irritate me the most.
There are more Polish flags shoved in our faces in the Northwest side of Chicago than any other flag. Theres nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage, but most of those Polish that flash those flags are not even citizens of this country. Their Polish Day parade on Belmont Avenue lasts for days and they have shoved their culture down the throats of the legitimate Americans who pay into the system on the Northwest side.

Unread 12-02-2008, 10:57 AM

111 posts, read 224,866 times
Quote:
Their Polish Day parade on Belmont Avenue lasts for days and they have shoved their culture down the throats of the legitimate Americans who pay into the system on the Northwest side.
How, exactly, are they shoving their culture down your throat? Are they pulling you off the street and force feeding you stuffed cabbage and vodka? Are they coming to your house and replacing your music collection with polka cds? Or, as I suspect, does the mere sight of a non-US flag just fill you with rage. If the latter is the case, you might want to reflect that part of the greatness of this country is its tolerence of, and respect for, the traditions of those who come here from other nations.

Unread 12-02-2008, 11:12 AM

5,223 posts, read 7,075,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Regardless of its etymology, in practice it just means "someone from the U.S."
Spanish is my first language but that word has never once come out of my mouth. I would have been slapped silly by my mom. It says more about the person using it than anything else. Of course it helps that my dad is american but educated Latin Americans in general despise that word.
Really? Funny, I've never heard a black or asian person referred to as a "gringo," yet certainly many of them are from the "US" too. I'm just sayin....

Unread 12-02-2008, 11:16 AM

9,806 posts, read 16,205,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm68 View Post
How, exactly, are they shoving their culture down your throat? Are they pulling you off the street and force feeding you stuffed cabbage and vodka? Are they coming to your house and replacing your music collection with polka cds? Or, as I suspect, does the mere sight of a non-US flag just fill you with rage. If the latter is the case, you might want to reflect that part of the greatness of this country is its tolerence of, and respect for, the traditions of those who come here from other nations.
Just the other day I had a Pole try to force feed me potato pancakes and pyrogies on the Northwest Side. It was terrifying, but tasty.

Unread 12-02-2008, 11:21 AM

1,967 posts, read 3,458,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Really? Funny, I've never heard a black or asian person referred to as a "gringo," yet certainly many of them are from the "US" too. I'm just sayin....
It depends on the context. In Spanish people are called what they are and there is less a sense of offense. If you are fat you are 'gordo'. If you are skinny you are 'flaco'. If you are black you are 'moreno' or 'negro'. If you are Asian you are 'chino' (as ignorant as it might sound). If you are white you are a 'huero'. If you want to distinguish a native english speaking american, regardless of their race,etc. from a Latin American they are 'gringo'. I've heard the term applied to blacks, whites, asians, arabs, whatever as long as they hail from the U.S. natively. If you are in the U.S. and it is assumed that they are gringos, then another term might be more typical. To roll your eyes at the idea of a black being called a gringo though is pretty stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago