U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-25-2009, 12:50 AM
 
170 posts, read 340,199 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You know, things were going fine here for a while when the city coffers were flush with cash. But they spent every dollar as fast as it came in rather than bracing themselves for days like this. So now when the erstwhile waterfall of cash slows to a trickle, it's like everyone in city and county government just turns into barking lunatics in search for any far-fetched way to raise a buck.

Sold the Skyway.
Sold Midway airport.
Raised the already insane sales tax.
Red light cameras -- soon to be turned into insurance verification cameras.
Boot-eligible after two parking tickets.
About to raise property taxes for the 12th time in 13 years.
And now, the parking meter madness.

Throw in a resurgence in gangs and violent crime and collapsing confidence of the CPD both inside and outside the force, and this whole town has gone barking mad.
I used to be so in love with this place, too. But that was before I moved here. Now, with no jobs, no friends, and a clear view of how farked things are, I'm actually quite sad about it. I want to love being here.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2009, 12:54 AM
 
1,806 posts, read 3,207,528 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by i blame history View Post
I used to be so in love with this place, too. But that was before I moved here. Now, with no jobs, no friends, and a clear view of how farked things are, I'm actually quite sad about it. I want to love being here.
This winter has been a bit depressing.

Just wait until the end of may:

The sun will be shining.
The Temp. will be perfect.
The lake will be blue.
The Bikini's will be out.

Life will be good.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2009, 12:55 AM
 
1,437 posts, read 1,999,104 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by i blame history View Post
I used to be so in love with this place, too. But that was before I moved here. Now, with no jobs, no friends, and a clear view of how farked things are, I'm actually quite sad about it. I want to love being here.
Chicago is a better city on the 'surface', than it is in reality. The "no friends" is no surprise to me. Chicago (Midwest in general), is a VERY closed off city. The people ain't very outgoing. Whether it's your neighbor or in a bar, it's the same. I'd rather live in a smaller city elsewhere, that has a better social scene then Chicago! Move, you'll be a lot happier!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2009, 12:59 AM
 
1,806 posts, read 3,207,528 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Chicago is a better city on the 'surface', than it is in reality. The "no friends" is no surprise to me. Chicago (Midwest in general), is a VERY closed off city. The people ain't very outgoing. Whether it's your neighbor or in a bar, it's the same. I'd rather live in a smaller city elsewhere, that has a better social scene then Chicago! Move, you'll be a lot happier!
Wow, really?

Ive lived in and had extended stays in cities all over the world. I'd say the people in Chicago rank pretty highly as far as outgoingness.

Are you sure you've actually been here before?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2009, 01:03 AM
 
1,437 posts, read 1,999,104 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Wow, really?

Ive lived in and had extended stays in cities all over the world. I'd say the people in Chicago rank pretty highly as far as outgoingness.

Are you sure you've actually been here before?
I know you're trying to brag, but instead, you're .....'ing. What do the cities around the world have to do with cities in America?....... Many people from Chicago have agreed with me on this subject. You're sorta of a 'Johnny come lately' with this........
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 AM
 
1,806 posts, read 3,207,528 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I know you're trying to brag, but instead, you're .....'ing. What do the cities around the world have to do with cities in America?....... Many people from Chicago have agreed with me on this subject. You're sorta of a 'Johnny come lately' with this........
Bragging not quite. Some of the places i've been are not worth bragging about.

But your right, I should have said that i've lived and had extended stays in cities all over the states as well as the world.

Compared to many cities that ive spent an adequate amount of time in, Chicago (at least the area's I frequent) seems to be a very friendly city.

Edit: You didnt answer my question. Are you sure you have been to Chicago?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2009, 01:08 AM
 
1,437 posts, read 1,999,104 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Bragging not quite. Some of the places i've been are not worth bragging about.

But your right, I should have said that i've lived and had extended stays in cities all over the states as well as the world.

Compared to many cities that ive spent an adequate amount of time in, Chicago (at least the area's I frequent) seems to be a very friendly city.
Saying that they're not "outgoing", is different than being "unfriendly". I don't think that they're "unfriendly", just like to keep to themselves or the crowd that they're with.

I've also been all over America. And have spent extended amounts of times in lots of cities. That's what I'm going by, personal experience, nothing else.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2009, 01:09 AM
 
1,806 posts, read 3,207,528 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Saying that they're not "outgoing", is different than being "unfriendly". I don't think that they're "unfriendly", just like to keep to themselves or the crowd that they're with.

I've also been all over America. And have spent extended amounts of times in lots of cities. That's what I'm going by, personal experience, nothing else.
You go off personal experience, yet you spout it off as though its fact.

I'll ask for the third time, have you actually been to Chicago?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2009, 01:11 AM
 
1,437 posts, read 1,999,104 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
You go off personal experience, yet you spout it off as though its fact.

I'll ask for the third time, have you actually been to Chicago?
I spents years living in Chicago. In multiple apts, in multiple nabes. Ya, I'd say that "I've been to Chicago".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2009, 01:13 AM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 13,278,012 times
Reputation: 1761
I do not believe it.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top