U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-03-2008, 03:50 PM

10,484 posts, read 17,689,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Also, if anyone has noticed lately, more than likely the NYC system will be facing HUGE HUGE service cuts ... they are more than $1 billion in the hole, and there has been talk about shutting down two subway lines entirely.
The NYC subway sans two subway lines would still be infinitely superior to the "L". Here's why:

1. The NYC subway system has much better coverage than the "L" in terms of distance and station spacing.

2. The NYC subway allows for multi-directional travel, including criss-crossing routes. The "L" is a star pattern, making cross-town travel difficult.

3. The NYC subway has more trains running more frequently on a longer schedule.

4. The NYC subway is faster. Much faster. I don't think I've ever seen a "slow zone" there.

5. The NYC subway connects neighborhoods that are denser and more walkable than many Chicago neighborhoods along the "L". This is a city planning issue, but it is deeply interconnected with transit planning as well.

6. The NYC subway cars are now more high-tech (though I miss the old stainless/orange seat interiors).
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 03:57 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,596,080 times
^^ oh, i don't disagree, i was just pointing out that the Super Awesome NYC System is also in financial dire straits.

now that i look at it, i guess it didn't exactly go with the comment.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:04 PM

838 posts, read 2,004,938 times
There is no denial that the current state of the economy has had its toll on the MTA. The difference between NYC and Chicago is that although the financial crisis has crippled nyc's financial system, the backbone of manhattan, there is still a lot more money in NYC than Chicago. As such, nyc will have an easier time to deal with the MTA's budget issue. Hell, just look at the mayor of NYC, $1 billion is just pocket change for a man named Mike Bloomberg of $10 billion.

Quote:
^^ oh, i don't disagree, i was just pointing out that the Super Awesome NYC System is also in financial dire straits.

now that i look at it, i guess it didn't exactly go with the comment.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,643,941 times
Quote:
you ALWAYS seem to have problems with the Addison bus. it's always there within 5 or so minutes for me.

it just must not like you!

and yeah, what someone else said about the bunching ... there'd be a lot less if there weren't a bunch of crazy drivers in the way.
I saw the bunching yet again today. I see it about half the time I take the Addison bus (at all times of year.) Some CTA drivers heads need to roll.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:35 PM

10,484 posts, read 17,689,846 times
After a few years of express bus favoritism, I'm back on the Red Line almost every day. I just feel like it's more consistent. But I only take it at night now.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:11 AM

36,071 posts, read 55,982,669 times
This deal gets more disgusting as each new detail is revealed. Not only are there no more meter holidays, but we'll now have to feed the damn things on Sundays too. And if that's not enough, they are going to "standardize" the times when the meters are enforced. Translation: the meters that used to be enforced through 6pm will now be enforced through 9pm.

Add this to the list of "stupid things the city has done" that is pushing me toward the suburbs.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 AM

4,793 posts, read 8,255,156 times
Sometimes, I think Daley is mismanaging the city big time when he has to rely on selling big assets of the city for quick budget money. I wonder if lots of money is going to cronies...

Old 12-04-2008, 12:11 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,597,192 times
The lease was approved

Aldermen approve Chicago parking meter lease | Clout Street - local political coverage

Old 12-04-2008, 01:00 PM

838 posts, read 2,004,938 times
Many of the meters in lakeview and lincoln park have required feeding on sundays until 9pm since a long while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This deal gets more disgusting as each new detail is revealed. Not only are there no more meter holidays, but we'll now have to feed the damn things on Sundays too. And if that's not enough, they are going to "standardize" the times when the meters are enforced. Translation: the meters that used to be enforced through 6pm will now be enforced through 9pm.

Add this to the list of "stupid things the city has done" that is pushing me toward the suburbs.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:16 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,167,804 times
Roads are maintained by public funds..can they just turn that into a private parking lot? I'd be curious how this would hold up in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago