U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:03 PM

68 posts, read 545,087 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I know Hyde Park in Chicago has a reputation for being pretty ghetto & I've seen some of it myself. I was wondering if anyone knew if some parts of Hyde Park were okay to rent an apt in. Off UofC campus of course. I'm considering applying to UofC hospital when I graduate & would like to be able to just walk to work.I'm just really concerned about safety. Thanks
Rate this post positively

Old 06-13-2006, 10:07 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 13,417,813 times
Hyde Park itself is lovely. If you got a job with University of Chicago, then I would strongly encourage you to consider moving to Hyde Park if you would like to walk to work. If you live right in Hyde Park, you'll be fine, there are plenty of amenities, it is dense and a lot of things are in walking distance ... and you have a lovely French resturant ( La Petite Folie, yes, I've eaten there and recommend it).

However, it is a bit of an island surrounded by some rough areas, and public transportation isn't that great to the rest of the city. The Metra and the #6 are probably your best bets.

In other words, I would have no problems suggesting that you consider looking into hyde park if you got a job with University of Chicago, it is a very nice place to live with a unique flavor, but has its drawbacks (surrounded by rough areas with limited public transportation options compared to some other parts of the city).

I see that you are coming from central Illinois. If you bring your car with you, make sure the place you are renting has parking, as parking in Hyde Park is rather tight, you'll want it included in your apartment, or you'll want to pay extra for a place to park (which is probably more likely than it being included with your apartment), you probably won't want to drive around looking for it.

Last edited by j33; 06-13-2006 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-14-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33
Hyde Park itself is lovely. If you got a job with University of Chicago, then I would strongly encourage you to consider moving to Hyde Park if you would like to walk to work. If you live right in Hyde Park, you'll be fine, there are plenty of amenities, it is dense and a lot of things are in walking distance ... and you have a lovely French resturant ( La Petite Folie, yes, I've eaten there and recommend it).

However, it is a bit of an island surrounded by some rough areas, and public transportation isn't that great to the rest of the city. The Metra and the #6 are probably your best bets.

In other words, I would have no problems suggesting that you consider looking into hyde park if you got a job with University of Chicago, it is a very nice place to live with a unique flavor, but has its drawbacks (surrounded by rough areas with limited public transportation options compared to some other parts of the city).

I see that you are coming from central Illinois. If you bring your car with you, make sure the place you are renting has parking, as parking in Hyde Park is rather tight, you'll want it included in your apartment, or you'll want to pay extra for a place to park (which is probably more likely than it being included with your apartment), you probably won't want to drive around looking for it.
thanks for your input!

Old 06-14-2006, 07:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 16,939,020 times
I don't live in Chicago - I'm in Michigan - but my brother has lived one block from Hyde Park for a few years, and I visit every few months. (Driving down on Monday, as a matter of fact!) He lives right on 53rd, and I have to say I have always been able to park on his block. When you get right close to the Uni it is extremely hard to find parking. He's about a mile from the hospital and I don't know that immediate vicinity.

I love that area....what the other poster says about some of the surrounding neighborhoods to be a bit rough is true. But I've walked all over, and depending which direction you go there's lots of nice neighborhoods and it feels pretty safe. Even the homeless people in Hyde Park are friendly.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:07 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,544,890 times
I agree with the other posters. Stay within the Hyde Park area for rentals and you'll be okay. It's a nice area with lots of things to do. Outside that immediate area can be a bit scary, especially at night. There are some really nice new areas right near the UofC that you'll probably want to live at. If you have to travel to downtown, try to go by car if you can.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:57 PM

thanks for your help everyone!

Old 06-23-2006, 01:49 PM

17 posts, read 161,776 times
Hyde park is great. The residents are pretty eclectic, well-rounded, and intellectual. The lakefront is especially refreshing at night in Hyde Park. Parking is horrible. I wouldn't call hyde park ghetto, many residences have perfectly manicured lawns. It is located in the inner-city, however, so don't expect to be as carefree and oblivious to your surroundings while walking through certain areas. If you have your guard up, you will be fine! Some of the best Chicagoland eateries can be found in Hyde Park...

Old 07-06-2006, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 34,913 times
I am also looking at moving into the Hyde Park area (as soon as I graduate & pass the NCLEX I am going to be a staff nurse at U of C). Are there any places in the area to stay away from or (better yet) places that are safer/better to move to? Or any particular apartment rental management places that I shouldn't even consider?

Old 07-07-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclaire122
I am also looking at moving into the Hyde Park area (as soon as I graduate & pass the NCLEX I am going to be a staff nurse at U of C). Are there any places in the area to stay away from or (better yet) places that are safer/better to move to? Or any particular apartment rental management places that I shouldn't even consider?
you know what, you may want to go to allnurses.com forum & go under IL to post this message. Then, you can get info on the area from nurses that work at uofc.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:15 AM

8 posts, read 92,083 times
Hyde park is georgeous, only you need to be dropped by helecopter INTo Hyde park or you will get mugged, shot, etc. Area around is up and coming but not there yet. Hyde park is pricey, beautiful vintage homes, but some riff raff does walkk over,,,,,so property crime is high. One of my favorite zip codes. I ran a shoe store there for a while and we got ripped off a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago