Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 37,913 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Long Beach area to Chicago. I am 40 and single. I am looking for an affordable apartment in a relative nice and safe in the city or the suburbs under $800. I have a friend who live in Elk Grove Village. He likes it there. I did some research: In the city North side:Rogers Park/West Ridge, Edgewater, Buena Park, Ravenswood, Logan Square, Albany Park, Norwood Park and Irving Park. South side:Hyde Park, South Shore, on the West Side: Ashburn, Mt.Greenwood.

In the Suburbs: Evanston, Elk Grove Village, Mt. Prospect,Des Plaines; Arlington Heights, Oak Park, Berwyn, Hoffman Estates, Wheaton; Glen Ellyn, Aurora, Naperville; Blue Island, Justice, Country Club Hills, Calumet City; Matteson, Joliet, University Park; Elgin, West Dundee, East Dundee, Waukegan, Zion, Gurnee .

The Far south seem the most affordable follow by the south side of the city, then the far north side of Chicago and the west south west sides.

Where, where, where to consider?

Thanks,

Hgguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 11:44 AM

53 posts, read 317,565 times
If I were 40 and single and moving here and wanted to spend 800/month, I would concentrate my search on the north side, particularly in Wrigleyville or Andersonville and Ukranian Village. Or Lakeview South of Addison. For 800 dollars, you will probably get a studio or convertible (bedroom is sectioned off, but no door) apartment. Second choice, I would consider Ravenswood and Logan Square. For the same amount you will get more space and these areas become more gentrified every day. In the suburbs, you might really enjoy Evanston. Naperville is very nice - but definitely more of a 2 kids and a dog environment. Downtown naperville is like the inside of a snowglobe.

Much like southern California, you get what you pay for and you have to weigh safety vs. space.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:07 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgguy View Post
I am relocating from Long Beach area to Chicago. I am 40 and single. I am looking for an affordable apartment in a relative nice and safe in the city or the suburbs under $800. I have a friend who live in Elk Grove Village. He likes it there. I did some research: In the city North side:Rogers Park/West Ridge, Edgewater, Buena Park, Ravenswood, Logan Square, Albany Park, Norwood Park and Irving Park. South side:Hyde Park, South Shore, on the West Side: Ashburn, Mt.Greenwood.

In the Suburbs: Evanston, Elk Grove Village, Mt. Prospect,Des Plaines; Arlington Heights, Oak Park, Berwyn, Hoffman Estates, Wheaton; Glen Ellyn, Aurora, Naperville; Blue Island, Justice, Country Club Hills, Calumet City; Matteson, Joliet, University Park; Elgin, West Dundee, East Dundee, Waukegan, Zion, Gurnee .

The Far south seem the most affordable follow by the south side of the city, then the far north side of Chicago and the west south west sides.

Where, where, where to consider?

Thanks,

Hgguy
Whoa! That's like a 50 mile radius. You are flexible You've named some good bets but I don't think you need to go as far north as Waukegan, as far west as Aurora or as far south as Blue Island. Nor do I think you'd be happy way out there. If you were married and were buying a house, absolutely. But as a single renter, I wouldn't do it.

On your budget, you can probably get a decent apartment in most City neighborhoods. If you want a "young" vibe, Rogers Park would be perfect. The area around Loyola is definitely a college town and you're also right by Evanston, which has a whole lot going on. But some parts of Rogers Park are still a tad rough so be sure to visit and walk around the area before you sign a lease.

Berwyn and Oak Park are a little quieter and older but they also have a lot for a single person to do -- particularly on neighboring Forest Park's Madison St. There are a lot of single 30 and 40-somethings living in this area. Rents are generally cheaper than in the City also.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 49,468 times
Blue Island is up and coming and very affordable. The area is being gentrified. Great Historic District. Easy access to the city by expressways and trains. For example, an express train to the downtown Chicago takes only 20 minutes. My husband and I both professionals and our children feel very safe here.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:45 AM

53 posts, read 240,844 times
I agree with the person above me. I lived in Blue Island and loved it. It's quite diverse, there's plenty to do. Olde Western street is very nice with all the old style buildings. Lots of great ethnic food restaurants...i.e. Italian, Mexican, etc. It's very affordable. The Metra stops right in the heart of Blue Island. You can park your car all day for under $5 at the metra and just ride straight through to downtown.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 28,826 times
Default Affordable and safe in Chicago

I have a 12 week old Registered Boxer. We'd be coming
from Missouri. I am a female. So safe is a major concern.
I would like to find something affordable & pet friendly in Chicago.
But in a safe neighborhood. Something alternative and versatile.
That is, if anyone is familiar with Missouri's Central West End
and Delmar Loop.

Preferably a one bedroom, however...I have had my sights set in
the direction of a warehouse type flat. Like an artists loft. And
not too distanced from Chicago City.

Thank you-

Old 09-25-2007, 12:50 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninehundred_seventy-five View Post
and Delmar Loop.

Thank you-
What is your price range?

Old 09-25-2007, 07:24 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninehundred_seventy-five View Post
and Delmar Loop.

Thank you-
I think you would do well in a variety of city neighborhoods. These(areas referenced above for those giving advice) are liberal, ecclectic, art friendly diverse areas of St. Louis with lots of sidewalk cafes,(think Greenwich Village) one of nation's largest city parks with tons of activities,(think 500 acres larger than Central Park) and so on.....you will find a lot of opinions and choices of people's favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago