Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:02 AM

161 posts, read 645,209 times

Advertisements

Wondering if I'd consider Chicago or even the state of IL to be a place to live. How does it treat conservatives? Everything I hear about it is that it's run by the democrat machine, but I want to hear from real people not the media. Is a diversity of political views welcomed in Chicago? I know it's not welcomed in the NYC area, so I'm wondering if it's the same in Chicago.

And by conservative, I am not talking about Christian conservatism, but economic and national security conservative platforms.

Thanks for your honest answers, and no I'm not looking for a political discussion or the merits of certain views, just an idea about political diversity in the area.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
It can be hard to have a civilized conversation about politics in Chicago if you are not left of center. The spectrum of mainstream political and ideological diversity here runs from center-left to left-left. There are a handful of conservatives here and there, but they are so outnumbered that they're not even a part of the political dialog. Many take for granted that if you live in the city your politics lean left, and if you happen to mention that your politics lean otherwise, it's like you've got a third eyeball in your forehead. I mostly keep my mouth shut to keep the peace with neighbors, acquaintances and fellow bar patrons unless they say something so forehead-smackingly stupid that I can't stay quiet. Even so, railing against the City Machine is a favorite sport no matter your political persuasion, yet when it's time to head to the polls those same Machine cogs keep winning re-election anyway, so go figure.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:06 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,225 times
It's worse in DC than Chicago, but I would imagine Chicago is pretty bad. In places like that, you can tell people a lot of interesting things about yourself and it's basically water under the bridge. But, if you dare to say you're conservative or strongly opposed to Obama (even if you back up your position)......... good luck!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:17 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingover View Post
Wondering if I'd consider Chicago or even the state of IL to be a place to live. How does it treat conservatives? Everything I hear about it is that it's run by the democrat machine, but I want to hear from real people not the media. Is a diversity of political views welcomed in Chicago? I know it's not welcomed in the NYC area, so I'm wondering if it's the same in Chicago.

And by conservative, I am not talking about Christian conservatism, but economic and national security conservative platforms.

Thanks for your honest answers, and no I'm not looking for a political discussion or the merits of certain views, just an idea about political diversity in the area.
The Democrats in Chicago are not like the Democrats in California. Chicago, while not as "conservative" as Dallas is far from "liberal". Nothing like San Fransisco at all. I prefer to call it a "business casual" city. It is tolerant of differing lifestyles but it is not "liberal" by any means.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It can be hard to have a civilized conversation about politics in Chicago if you are not left of center. The spectrum of mainstream political and ideological diversity here runs from center-left to left-left. There are a handful of conservatives here and there, but they are so outnumbered that they're not even a part of the political dialog. Many take for granted that if you live in the city your politics lean left, and if you happen to mention that your politics lean otherwise, it's like you've got a third eyeball in your forehead. I mostly keep my mouth shut to keep the peace with neighbors, acquaintances and fellow bar patrons unless they say something so forehead-smackingly stupid that I can't stay quiet. Even so, railing against the City Machine is a favorite sport no matter your political persuasion, yet when it's time to head to the polls those same Machine cogs keep winning re-election anyway, so go figure.
I don't agree. Certain parts of Chcago are quite liberal (Rogers Park, Edgewater, Hyde Park) and other parts are quite conservative (Chicago Lawn, Hedgewish). People seem to forget that Chicago is much more than the lakefront.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:55 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I agree. I never talk politics anywhere, but on C-D.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:26 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,243,518 times
When you say "even the state of IL to live".... pretty much everywhere outside of Chicago is republican. Just pull up a county map from the last election. I live in Chicago, but am from a smaller town in downstate in IL and I couldn't have a regular conversation with anyone about the election (I am very liberal) from there.... All IL is not democratic

Old 12-27-2008, 10:41 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,159,666 times
Depends upon industry and part of Chic and suburbs...much as it does in NYC or SF or LA

For ex., many in the financial industry are indifferent about social issues but fiercely free-market capitalist...and donate to both parties and pay for lobbyists on both sides to advance any special interests, as would any shrewd pragmatist

In Chic, more of the free-market capitalists seem to favor GoldCoast or LP or LakeForest or Winnetka....just as UpperEastSide and Greenwich are favored by that set in NYC (going South of ~50th St is a "no-fly" zone for many capitalists, as the trust fund kid, celebutard and Euro set downtown tends to dislike capitalists)

Have found in any city that the term "liberal" is rather misleading, as many so-called liberals are as close-minded and ill-informed as most rabid social conservatives

Old 12-27-2008, 10:49 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
The CITY is quite liberal in most of the talked about areas. Go on the south and west sides and it's not liberal like people think (San Fran, etc).

My best friend is republican and he lives in boystown. He is perfectly fine because he can at least back up his personal reasons. It's also for the financial aspects, not the religious. I think if you're a republican for the non-religious aspects you can function ok in Chicago although you will obviously be outnumbered. Religious conservatives will have a lot more problems in Chicago. I know personally they have every right as all of us.....but I have no patience for any of it...

Old 12-27-2008, 12:02 PM

17,355 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't agree. Certain parts of Chcago are quite liberal (Rogers Park, Edgewater, Hyde Park) and other parts are quite conservative (Chicago Lawn, Hedgewish). People seem to forget that Chicago is much more than the lakefront.
Hegewisch (note the spelling btw) is not conservative - it's pretty Democratic through and through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago