Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,455,856 times

Advertisements

Ok Chet, now you are getting annoyingly ignorant and useless in the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,609,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well Naperville is not a pedestrian or bicycle friendly suburb and it covers a very large square mile area. Basically the whole town is a bunch of separated subdivisions. There are not even sidewalks along major roads in many areas of Naperville. Would you walk 5-10 miles to a train station? Think about it.
But thats my point.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
But thats my point.
What is your point? You are saying take away the Metra stop in Naperville just because people have to drive to it?

How about put those thousands of people on the road driving to Chicago every morning and then parking there. Lets see how you feel then.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
What is your point? You are saying take away the Metra stop in Naperville just because people have to drive to it?

How about put those thousands of people on the road driving to Chicago every morning and then parking there. Lets see how you feel then.
No. My point is once the damage is done (bad urban planning: i.e. Naperville) its extremely difficult to fix on a patchwork basis. Which (for the 3rd time in this thread) I am saying that the next best thing is to encourage high density transit oriented developments where it IS possible to walk to stations, etc

Old 01-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
No. My point is once the damage is done (bad urban planning: i.e. Naperville) its extremely difficult to fix on a patchwork basis. Which (for the 3rd time in this thread) I am saying that the next best thing is to encourage high density transit oriented developments where it IS possible to walk to stations, etc
They already exist in the suburbs where there is high density. So you are saying create better planned new developments along existing Metra Lines and encourage even more urban sprawl? That sounds like a great idea. NOT.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 PM

Forget it.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,989,538 times
sorry avenger I don't see your point.

Naperville is not significantly more dense in terms of residents than some of the areas that the pie-in-the-sky dreamers would like to see more CTA trains.

If the region gets more dense then more transit could be supported, if it doesn't it won't. There are not a lot architectural gems that would draw people into the areas cited, nor are their unique recreational / cultural features. I am not being pissy, I am being realistic. Honestly.

In terms of the whole country I can think of a lot more places that would see far greater benefits from the kinds of investment in rapid transit that the dreamers' maps would reap. I love Chicago. I think trains are pretty neat but I am under no illusion that the rubber wheeled Metro is why Parisians live in the cramped conditions they do. It is a way of life that I cannot envision ever driving out the personal transportation centric nature of Chicago fringes...

Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,651,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If the region gets more dense then more transit could be supported, if it doesn't it won't. There are not a lot architectural gems that would draw people into the areas cited, nor are their unique recreational / cultural features. I am not being pissy, I am being realistic. Honestly.
I think you are being at least a little bit pissy. It's the tone of your posts. Which proposed expansion plans do you specifically take issue with? Extending the Bloomingdale line (or the old "L" route down North Avenue) to Humboldt Park makes perfect sense because this is a dense part of the city that is underserved by transit. The Circle Line makes sense as a link between existing lines--and will eliminate the need to go downtown prior to transferring to other "L" lines around the city (easing the limitations of the "star pattern"). I can also see benefit to extending the Brown Line into the commercial districts of Northwest Side. Even though these neighborhoods are "bungalow belt", there is enough density for the Brown to extend further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think trains are pretty neat but I am under no illusion that the rubber wheeled Metro is why Parisians live in the cramped conditions they do. It is a way of life that I cannot envision ever driving out the personal transportation centric nature of Chicago fringes...
Apparently there are a lot of things you can't envision. As someone who has lived in Paris, I can tell you that the city could not function without it's public transit. Without it, Paris would be a skeleton of its former self in the modern age.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
...Extending the Bloomingdale line (or the old "L" route down North Avenue) to Humboldt Park ...
Just for the record the old Humboldt Park line ran down the first alley north of North Avenue.

The Bloomingdale right of way was a freight line I believe.

You may of known that. Maybe I misunderstood you and thought you did not know that.

I figured I would mention it regardless. I know some people do not know the difference between those two.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:18 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,651,517 times
Quote:
Just for the record the old Humboldt Park line ran down the first alley north of North Avenue.

The Bloomingdale right of way was a freight line I believe.

You may of known that. Maybe I misunderstood you and thought you did not know that.

I figured I would mention it regardless. I know some people do not know the difference between those two.
I did know that, and that's why I mentioned the old North Avenue route. Someone else in the thread mentioned using the Bloomindale route for "L" traffic, and I was just going with that--though I have no idea how you would go about connecting this to the Blue Line.

Heck, there were still freight trains on that Bloomindale right-of-way after I moved here, so it must have been decommissioned somewhat recently (like within the last decade).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago