Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM

27 posts, read 150,459 times

Advertisements

I realize "West Bucktown" is really just a realtor term to say, "hey look Bucktown! yay!" and that's it's really Humboldt Park (or maybe Logan Square?)

Anyway, I'm looking to rent a place one block west of Western and five blocks south of Armitage (near Bloomingdale.)
I lived in Bridgeport - near 35th and Morgan.
I've always been told that's not a good area to live in, blahblahblah, but I've had no problems at all. I just doesn't want to live near Comiskey/US Cellular anymore, and want to be closer to the blue line. I wouldn't be living alone, but with a guy.
I've read some bad things about this area, but most of what I've read has been about the parts of Humboldt Park way further away from Bucktown and Western. Walking around there, and driving around there I didn't see anything bad and I felt comfortable.

My question is --- what's the difference in crime from that part of Humboldt/Bucktown and Bridgeport?
I heard gang fights, gunshots, and saw drug deals but I never had issues and neither did anyone I knew. I felt fine walking at night - cautiously and normally not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 04:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
There is no West Bucktown neighborhood. If you realize it is a b.s. realtor con term why use it?

Bloomingdale and Campbell is in the Logan Square neighborhood, but very close to the Humboldt park neighborhood and the park itself. It is also close to Bucktown and Wicker Park. But it is no "West Bucktown."

Did you search the forum for info on the area around North Ave. and Western? We have covered this a few times.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:49 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,453,345 times
Pretty easy to get the answer to your question through the Everyblock website...

News in Humboldt Park | EveryBlock Chicago

News in Bridgeport | EveryBlock Chicago

It will give you all kinds of stats from which you can discern quality of life. It will also tell you where crimes are being committed and what kinds of crimes they are.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:53 PM

27 posts, read 150,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Pretty easy to get the answer to your question through the Everyblock website...

News in Humboldt Park | EveryBlock Chicago

News in Bridgeport | EveryBlock Chicago

It will give you all kinds of stats from which you can discern quality of life. It will also tell you where crimes are being committed and what kinds of crimes they are.
That is a great website! Thanks a lot.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:14 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
With your tolerance for urban neighborhoods, I'd live there no problem. A little farther north on Campbell would be better (safety and public transit wise) but I'd probably live there if I liked the place and it was a good price.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:10 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,723 times
At what point would we concede that this part of Humboldt really is "West Bucktown"? I agree it's a bad thing if the term is used to trick people into renting or buying where they wouldn't normally, but if the area begins to resemble Bucktown a lot more than Humboldt Park it might become an accurate way to describe it. It's not just the realtors who are expanding their definition of Wicker Park and Bucktown, it's the new residents too. I know you guys are very serious about the official community and neighborhood border lines but it seems to me that the "West Bucktown" moniker might become a good informal label for this area as it gentrifies (not saying that it is now, or that that would be a good thing).

Anyway, in answer to your question, I would say this part of Humboldt Park is not at all bad but I personally prefer it in Bridgeport. You could move towards Chinatown if the Sox fans are getting to you. I think Bridgeport is cheaper and quite possibly safer. Just my opinion. I'm a happy resident of "West Chinatown" (that is, Bridgeport, but east of Wallace, north of 31st).

Old 01-05-2009, 08:34 PM

I will never call that area West Bucktown.

If it makes you feel better about yourself call that part of LOGAN SQUARE "West Bucktown", but that will not magically negate the dangers that lurk very close to your fantasy abode from Logan Square,Humboldt Park, and West Town.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I will never call that area West Bucktown.

If it makes you feel better about yourself call that part of LOGAN SQUARE "West Bucktown", but that will not magically negate the dangers that lurk very close to your fantasy abode from Logan Square,Humboldt Park, and West Town.
I'm just waiting for you to use the term "Lakeview East".

Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm just waiting for you to use the term "Lakeview East".
No. I live in the portion of the Lakeview neighborhood that is in the community of Lake View. The (north) eastern portion of the Lakeview neighborhood as well as the Lake View community area to be exact. Some people try to call where I live Wrigleyville. I despise that moniker. I live in Lakeview.

When I use the term East Lake View it is not misleading at all. It is just another way of saying the eastern portion of the Lakeview neighborhood.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,867,960 times
Default West Bucktown does not exist

I agree with Avengerfire. Bucktown ends at Western. There are some nice lofts just west of western on moffat, but there are still a lot of not so nice places around there mixed in.

West Bucktown is hilarious as many realtors refer to West Wicker Park in the West Town community area (humboldt park neighborhood) just east of the park as "west bucktown.". Bucktown goes south to bloomingdale. Areas south of there are Wicker Park, not Bucktown. I guess realtors will say anything to try to move properties, especially in this crappy market.

To those looking to buy, wait if you can. 2009 is going to be an awful year for real estate in Chicago. You will be much better buying in 2010 if you can afford to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago