Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:33 PM

34 posts, read 98,769 times

Advertisements

I plan on relocating to Chicago from Atlanta in August 2007. I am so excited but I am still trying to get things in order. First of all I have been looking for jobs, which I have found many openings but many of them need someone ASAP. A friend of mine who moved from here to NYC a couple of years ago suggested that I temp for a while. I work for the the gov't and I really don't want to do that anymore so is temping in Chicago realistic until I chose a more stable career? Also, I will be moving with my fiance' and my puppy. I need at least a 1 bedroom apartment. I'm trying to spend no more than $750/month. I've been told to check out Hyde Park, Wicker Park, Rogers Park and Andersonville. Are these decent neighboorhoods? What other neighborhoods could I check out for this price range? P.S. I plan on transfering to Chicago State so something not TOO far would be nice. I definately plan on taking advantage of the public transporation. I can't wait to allow my car to stay parked for a while. Any information regarding moving and getting set up will greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get there!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 01:08 PM

53 posts, read 240,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassmith View Post
I plan on relocating to Chicago from Atlanta in August 2007. I am so excited but I am still trying to get things in order. First of all I have been looking for jobs, which I have found many openings but many of them need someone ASAP. A friend of mine who moved from here to NYC a couple of years ago suggested that I temp for a while. I work for the the gov't and I really don't want to do that anymore so is temping in Chicago realistic until I chose a more stable career? Also, I will be moving with my fiance' and my puppy. I need at least a 1 bedroom apartment. I'm trying to spend no more than $750/month. I've been told to check out Hyde Park, Wicker Park, Rogers Park and Andersonville. Are these decent neighboorhoods? What other neighborhoods could I check out for this price range? P.S. I plan on transfering to Chicago State so something not TOO far would be nice. I definately plan on taking advantage of the public transporation. I can't wait to allow my car to stay parked for a while. Any information regarding moving and getting set up will greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get there!!!!
Temping is realistic in CHicago and is a great way to get started with a good company permanently. Many companies have jobs that are "temp to hire" so that they can "test" the employee to see if they are a good fit or not. I would suggest going through Paige Personnel, Office Team or Spherion to name a few. Hyde Park and Rogers Park are both "iffy" areas. There are some parts of both that are really nice and some that are quite dangerous. If you're going to attend Chicago State, Wicker Park and Rogers Park are both very far away from the school. They are on the far north side of the city. I'm not certain about Andersonville. The "EL" runs all over the city and there are plenty of buses everywhere. So you'll be able to get around just fine on public transportation. I recently did a similar move from Chicago, IL to Grand Rapids, MI. Any questions ask away. I'd be happy to help.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya01 View Post
Temping is realistic in CHicago and is a great way to get started with a good company permanently. Many companies have jobs that are "temp to hire" so that they can "test" the employee to see if they are a good fit or not. I would suggest going through Paige Personnel, Office Team or Spherion to name a few. Hyde Park and Rogers Park are both "iffy" areas. There are some parts of both that are really nice and some that are quite dangerous. If you're going to attend Chicago State, Wicker Park and Rogers Park are both very far away from the school. They are on the far north side of the city. I'm not certain about Andersonville. The "EL" runs all over the city and there are plenty of buses everywhere. So you'll be able to get around just fine on public transportation. I recently did a similar move from Chicago, IL to Grand Rapids, MI. Any questions ask away. I'd be happy to help.
You were so helpful and it's good to know that temping is a realistic approach for me. I will be visiting Chicago the last week of the month and I was planning on visiting a few temp agencies and letting them know my intentions and to see if they could help me out so thanks for giving me a couple of companies to check out. Also, why did you leave Chicago?

Old 03-06-2007, 02:38 PM

53 posts, read 240,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassmith View Post
You were so helpful and it's good to know that temping is a realistic approach for me. I will be visiting Chicago the last week of the month and I was planning on visiting a few temp agencies and letting them know my intentions and to see if they could help me out so thanks for giving me a couple of companies to check out. Also, why did you leave Chicago?
With temp agencies you don't even have to put forth that much effort. Honestly, all I did was apply online and call 30 mins later. I had a job within a week. And this is in Grand Rapids which is a lot smaller with a very poor economy. You'll be asked to set up an appointment time, then you'll go in and take basic HS GED tests. Based on your test results and experience they pair you with available jobs. It's very simple indeed.

I left because i'm in an interracial relationship and Chicago neighborhoods are VERY segregated by race/ethnicity. The few areas that are diverse were just way too expensive. Like $1200 for an apartment with 600 sq ft or so. It was just ridiculous, lol.

Did you find a neighborhood yet?

Old 03-06-2007, 02:38 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,658 times
Hyde Park would be a pretty good choice, not much to here except study for classes however. A train runs directly from Hyde park to Chicago State as well. it's called the metra electric line. check www.metrarail.com for scheduling

Old 03-06-2007, 06:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Yeh, Chicago State is on the far South Side so Hyde Park is your best option. A commute from Andersonville, which is on the far North Side, would be absolute murder -- close to 2 hours via public transportation. Rogers Park is even further north than Andersonville. Wicker Park wouldn't be as bad but you're still probably looking at over an hour.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:36 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,876 times
For curiosity sake, if you'd like to get a little feel for jobs before you get there, chicagojobs.com, chicagoreader and craigslist chicago may give you a good sampling. You never know, may even find a diamond in the rough, could fax your resume. And you can be kind of wary, if you wish, of companies you may notice which have reasons to have to keep posting ads. :>)

Enjoy!! It's a wonderful, beautiful city!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya01 View Post
With temp agencies you don't even have to put forth that much effort. Honestly, all I did was apply online and call 30 mins later. I had a job within a week. And this is in Grand Rapids which is a lot smaller with a very poor economy. You'll be asked to set up an appointment time, then you'll go in and take basic HS GED tests. Based on your test results and experience they pair you with available jobs. It's very simple indeed.

I left because i'm in an interracial relationship and Chicago neighborhoods are VERY segregated by race/ethnicity. The few areas that are diverse were just way too expensive. Like $1200 for an apartment with 600 sq ft or so. It was just ridiculous, lol.

Did you find a neighborhood yet?
You are so helpful. I'm sorry you had to leave Chicago because of your relationship. It's seems like you really think highly of Chicago so I'm sure it was hard for you to leave. I'm sure you will be just fine in Grand Rapids. I've heard great things about that city. I'm originally from Ohio so I'm sure they are very similar and I love Ohio. My plan was to wait until I went to Chicago to apply but based on your advise I think I will call a few agencies now and set up an appointment for when I go in a few weeks. I haven't found a place yet. I heard that I may have to visit to get better rates and more space b/c many places may not advertise online. So when I come I will tour a couple of neighborhoods to get a feel.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeh, Chicago State is on the far South Side so Hyde Park is your best option. A commute from Andersonville, which is on the far North Side, would be absolute murder -- close to 2 hours via public transportation. Rogers Park is even further north than Andersonville. Wicker Park wouldn't be as bad but you're still probably looking at over an hour.
Thanks for the heads up. Everyone has been telling me to check out all of these areas but I don't think they have considered where I will be traveling to. About how far north do you think I should look? Or should I just stick with looking for housing on the south side? Also, is Hyde Park the only nice area on the south side?

Old 03-08-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
For curiosity sake, if you'd like to get a little feel for jobs before you get there, chicagojobs.com, chicagoreader and craigslist chicago may give you a good sampling. You never know, may even find a diamond in the rough, could fax your resume. And you can be kind of wary, if you wish, of companies you may notice which have reasons to have to keep posting ads. :>)

Enjoy!! It's a wonderful, beautiful city!!!
I don't know why but I have been leery about doing the same old basic job hunt. I know so many people that have been looking for jobs here in Atlanta have been searching for up to 2 years and still no hits and I guess I'm afraid of going through that b/c I am really ready to come there. That's one reason why I considered temping. But I also know that you never know what can happen and I'm sure that Chicago has a better economy than Atlanta. So thanks for the jobs sites. I will definately check them out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago