Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
More for the 'temperance' angle..during the early '90s , I remember the manager of a downtown afterwork watering hole showing me a letter from one of the railroads asking to modify or put a lid on the '2 for 1' specials , because overindulgent commuters were causing problems on the way home .
Happy hours were banned in a lot of areas in the 80's and 90's due to concerns about drunk commuters - but more for people driving than taking the train. I see some of the sense in it.

I remember being at many happy hours in the mid/late 80's and watching people guzzling drinks to get as many in as they could before the end of happy hour - and then get in their cars and drive home when drink prices went back up. I just switched to cheaper drinks and took the train home myself, but I do think it did encourage some idiots to guzzle drinks and then get in their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:04 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Attrill, I think I'm inclined to agree with you that it makes sense, but it does play into that whole nanny-state gov't label that I grew up hearing tossed at Illinois.

I also, while reading some of what Avenger provided, was surprised that you also can't offer all-you-can-drink specials. I know that in St. Louis it's a pretty common New Year's Eve special around there -- like $75 all you can drink from 9-1 or similar.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Attrill, I think I'm inclined to agree with you that it makes sense, but it does play into that whole nanny-state gov't label that I grew up hearing tossed at Illinois.

I also, while reading some of what Avenger provided, was surprised that you also can't offer all-you-can-drink specials. I know that in St. Louis it's a pretty common New Year's Eve special around there -- like $75 all you can drink from 9-1 or similar.
That's pretty standard here too.

I'm not really much of a happy hour guy, especially a Lincoln Park/Lakeview version of it, but a lot of bars in those areas have friday happy hours, where 15-20 bucks buys you unlimited beer and a buffet for 3 or 4 hours in the early evening.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
I've been to many all-you-can drink New Year's parties in Chicago... Not sure when they passed that law, though. It's been a while.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Well I am sufficiently confused then:

Quote:
Q. Can a retail licensee offer promotions such as: $5 all you can drink from 5:00 to 7:00? A. NO. Offering unlimited drinks for a fixed price is prohibited. The only exception is for a private function not open to the public; i.e., Weddings, Christmas Parties, etc.
(see Happy Hour Laws)

Old 01-14-2009, 01:18 PM

725 posts, read 1,848,875 times
This post makes me feel old.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Well I am sufficiently confused then:
If that's the law, its not enforced. I'm assuming that the bars are claiming these specials are in effect 'private parties'.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
If that's the law, its not enforced. I'm assuming that the bars are claiming these specials are in effect 'private parties'.
They are private parties because you have to buy a ticket or in effect pay an entrance fee for the party.

You cannot enter the bar on those days and just buy a drink or two without paying the entrance fee.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Attrill, I think I'm inclined to agree with you that it makes sense, but it does play into that whole nanny-state gov't label that I grew up hearing tossed at Illinois....
Chicago started becoming a nanny city about 10-15 years ago. It really has plunged into ridiculousness though only in the last 5 and even more precisely in the last 2. In the last few years the state is following Chicago path just as Chicago followed the path of NYC and L.A.

I wish you and others could experience the Chicago bar scene as I and others older than me did when we were in our early 20's. Shoot, I really wish I could still.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 PM

161 posts, read 411,546 times
Default You still can!

Go to the Hange Uppe. You can still experience that scene... Only on Fridays though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Chicago started becoming a nanny city about 10-15 years ago. It really has plunged into ridiculousness though only in the last 5 and even more precisely in the last 2. In the last few years the state is following Chicago path just as Chicago followed the path of NYC and L.A.

I wish you and others could experience the Chicago bar scene as I and others older than me did when we were in our early 20's. Shoot, I really wish I could still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago