Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Oh, super, our favorite new troll has returned.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:11 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Or you enjoy the placed that you moved to. Have you convinced yourself already?
I've lived here a solid half decade. I think I've had some time to make a decision. Furthermore, I moved to Chicago because I liked it here. I'm not from here. I don't have family here. I had friends here, but had friends lots of places. I picked. Alls I'm saying is that you're free to do the same, so I don't know why you choose to live in a place that bugs you. That's all.
Life's too short to toil away in a place you don't enjoy. Am I wrong?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
I read the first line of this troll's post and decided is was not worth my time to read the rest.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-23-2009 at 10:15 PM..

Old 01-24-2009, 01:18 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,642 times
The driving here is not for the faint of heart
Assimilation....
I think I said that drivers here were opportunistic...and so am I

Old 01-24-2009, 03:59 AM

467 posts, read 874,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
I live about 30 miles out and the drivers are STILL horrendous out here! No one is friggin courteous of other people. You go to any other state and people are SO much more courteous (ok not EVERY other state..... but most seem to understand the rules of the road..... states that Ive encountered courteous
Yeah. I have seen this phenomenon driving towards Ohio on I-80.
The further away from Chicago the better drivers behave. Even norther Indiana is plagued with bad driving. People in Chicago wonder how come streets and highways are so congested, it's simple, drivers are so disorganized, so unskilled that they make it worse for everybody. So many time driving on I-90 in Chicago I saw congestions that dissapeared after few miles with no reason. It was solely the driver's behaviour that caused the bottleneck.... It's all about the flow, letting faster traffic go in the left lane, keeping up with traffic and focusing on driving.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh, super, our favorite new troll has returned.
If this guy doesn't shut the f___ up NOW I'm going to reach through his computer screen to strangle him. What an irritating person. He's like a mosquito.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Talking Phenomenon is not unique to Chicago, it's due to density

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Yeah. I have seen this phenomenon driving towards Ohio on I-80.
The further away from Chicago the better drivers behave. Even norther Indiana is plagued with bad driving. People in Chicago wonder how come streets and highways are so congested, it's simple, drivers are so disorganized, so unskilled that they make it worse for everybody. So many time driving on I-90 in Chicago I saw congestions that dissapeared after few miles with no reason. It was solely the driver's behaviour that caused the bottleneck.... It's all about the flow, letting faster traffic go in the left lane, keeping up with traffic and focusing on driving.
No, not really. I think it has more to do with rural interstate driving compared to local expressway driving. I have been in many large cities through US, Canada and parts of Europe and it is very similar. Large urban areas, because of the larger # of drivers, have more poor/unskilled/inexperienced drivers. Not unique to Chicago. Just go on the other forums. I saw same type of thread on the Houston board few months ago. I too get aggravated by drivers who have no concept of traffic flow, left lane bandits, cell-phone jockeys and turn-signal phobics. I have also learned to stop letting them aggravate me because no matter how many police officers you hire, the problem will always exist. Oh and ponder this: the more cops with cars pulled over, the more slow zones you have as cars slow down aproaching the flashing lights.
Once you get out into the country and the traffic thins out, it is much more enjoyable to drive and the bad habits decrease.

The only place I saw consistently good driving was in Germany. However, their driver's license requirements would not work in the US. They are too strict, almost like getting a pilot's license. They can do this because they truly have a wonderful and extensive public transit network that even serves rural areas and, believe it or not, really runs on a schedule and is on time.

And remember George Carlin's skit: Anyone driving faster than you is a maniac and anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, Therefore the roads are filled with maniacs and idiots.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
And remember George Carlin's skit: Anyone driving faster than you is a maniac and anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, Therefore the roads are filled with maniacs and idiots.
You got a valid point there .
I still think city drivers are more skilled than small town drivers just because they deal on a daily basis with scenarios that small town drivers experience only few times in their lifetime. Traffic lights, intersections clustered together, merging, avoiding disabled vehicles etc etc.
There are some bad driving habits that you can get away with driving in a small town due to less congestion. Not stoping at stop lights, ignoring left lane rule is not as painful as there are less cars and least chance of the mistake causing an accident. In the city however, every mistake gets compounded and even one driver blocking an intersection affects 50 other drivers and possibly other intersections.

Some of the Chicago sins I listed like not using turn signals or not turning on headlights in the rain or snow are clear violations of the law and is is up to the cops to enforce. The law is there to keep us organized but if not enforced it is useless.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:35 PM

Default Trolls?

Lookout, drover and avengerfire,

Do you feel compelled to read "my" thread and respond?

If you don't like it just ignore it. Posting off-topic comments such as yours is... trolling.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Chicago had over 500 murders last year and countless amounts (many to most go uncounted as well) of theft,rape, and drug sales. Yet this guy thinks the CPD should be worried about (as well as concentrate huge amounts of manpower on) minor traffic violations or supposed traffic violations that are in a grey area of the law. I think this guy would be more adept to living in Vermont somewhere.

If Chicago were Mayberry then we could have the pleasure of having a bunch of Barney Fifes acting like Barney Fifes in the CPD patrolling Chicago. Chicago will never be Mayberry.

How is that for trolling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago