Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:22 PM

10 posts, read 59,505 times

Advertisements

I've explored most areas of Chicago, and was wondering what you thought the worst area was in terms of danger and dismay. Obviously Englewood is usually near the top in the murder rate, as well as some west side areas, but to me, the scariest area is the area where Michigan ave ends when heading south, along the 60's st, going east, along with the prarie area right next, basically, anything east of where michigan ave ends on the south side. I drove through that area and it looks like a war zone! I saw prostitutes shamelessly trying chase me at a red light offering services, saw people smoking dope/shooting up in the corners, and so many poor homeless people, it really is a sad enviroment. I enjoy visiting all parts of a city, not just the touristy and affluent areas, and thus to me this was the worst area of Chicago I've seen thus far, along with some west side neighborhoods I've driven through off 290.
Just curious if anyone else wants to chime in as I enjoy taking photography of different inner city areas and the residents as an art project I'm currently creating.

And one final note, there is nothing in chicago that remotely resembles the most troubled, poverty stricken city to me in the US, EAST ST. LOUIS! I visited that area recently and not only is it in shambles, the air and the ridiculous pollution in the ground and air, probably make it one of the most horrible places to reside! Going past the bridge in st. louis and driving around east st louis was probably the scariest driving experience I've ever had thus far and I don't think any inner city in the US would be as dangerous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 01:50 AM

5 posts, read 26,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyHunter View Post
I've explored most areas of Chicago, and was wondering what you thought the worst area was in terms of danger and dismay. Obviously Englewood is usually near the top in the murder rate, as well as some west side areas, but to me, the scariest area is the area where Michigan ave ends when heading south, along the 60's st, going east, along with the prarie area right next, basically, anything east of where michigan ave ends on the south side. I drove through that area and it looks like a war zone! I saw prostitutes shamelessly trying chase me at a red light offering services, saw people smoking dope/shooting up in the corners, and so many poor homeless people, it really is a sad enviroment. I enjoy visiting all parts of a city, not just the touristy and affluent areas, and thus to me this was the worst area of Chicago I've seen thus far, along with some west side neighborhoods I've driven through off 290.
Just curious if anyone else wants to chime in as I enjoy taking photography of different inner city areas and the residents as an art project I'm currently creating.

And one final note, there is nothing in chicago that remotely resembles the most troubled, poverty stricken city to me in the US, EAST ST. LOUIS! I visited that area recently and not only is it in shambles, the air and the ridiculous pollution in the ground and air, probably make it one of the most horrible places to reside! Going past the bridge in st. louis and driving around east st louis was probably the scariest driving experience I've ever had thus far and I don't think any inner city in the US would be as dangerous!

have you been to LA??? some of the scariest places ive seen in the country...looks and feels like mexico

Old 01-26-2009, 04:51 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
[quote=LindseyHunter;7173073]I've explored most areas of Chicago, and was wondering what you thought the worst area was in terms of danger and dismay. Obviously Englewood is usually near the top in the murder rate, as well as some west side areas, but to me, the scariest area is the area where Michigan ave ends when heading south, along the 60's st, going east, along with the prarie area right next, basically, anything east of where michigan ave ends on the south side. I drove through that area and it looks like a war zone! I saw prostitutes shamelessly trying chase me at a red light offering services, saw people smoking dope/shooting up in the corners, and so many poor homeless people, it really is a sad enviroment. I enjoy visiting all parts of a city, not just the touristy and affluent areas, and thus to me this was the worst area of Chicago I've seen thus far, along with some west side neighborhoods I've driven through off 290.
quote]

Since you saw all of that at the red light did you see any po-lice....Here we go with another let's point the finger at the worst neighborhoods- we already know what they are and how they look. Why do people even choose to drive through these neighborhoods- are you trying to feel connected or trying to point fingers. Yes Englewood, Lawndale, Woodlawn,Garfield, etc. etc. are as bad as people say they are /thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Do we really need a thread like this..its nothing more than cyber slumming.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:54 AM

161 posts, read 411,546 times
Default What about downtown St. Louis?

Totally in jest, but also in honor of the time you have spent on here saying negative things about Chicago.

-----------------------

I don't know, I try to survey all of these hoods in my exorbidant free time being a metro chicagoan., and it seems even our gang bangers in Englewood make more in their short, violent, lifespans than the richest people in St. Louis.

I go up to a beggar one day in Englewood, I'm like, "what you make fool?" cus that's how we all talk in Chicago. he's like "about 80 grand or something, depends on where I go that day. I get aroun" WOW. TO think that someone making only that much could stay alive within Chicago city limits. This would actually be even less than what the Cardinals bring in a playoff year, and their biggest annual expense is coming to Chicago, and Chicago even has to subsidize that for them. so I was surprised to find someone that made so little. But then he said, "but man, it's not just about salary it's about living."

"true that" I said.

I tipped him a two thousand dollars for the information, and walked back to my palace.

As I was walking I got to thinking. in St. Louis I could use that money to feed a whole city, and if I doubled it, I could educate one of them so that they could someday better themselves to become a Chicagoan. How strange that our worlds could be so intertwined with the people of St. Louis.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
My old basement in the Lincoln Park teardown I lived in a few years ago was the scariest place I've seen in Chicago. There were rats down there, man.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 01-27-2009 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
your face

Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 AM

248 posts, read 1,073,523 times
hands down it's

Clark and Belmont

or Boystown...

Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
hands down it's

Clark and Belmont

or Boystown...
I'll disagree on Clark and Belmont. Any intersection with a Starbuck's should be immediately disqualified.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:25 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Any intersection with a Starbuck's should be immediately disqualified.
I dunno about that, might be the opposite..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago