Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 AM

73 posts, read 163,690 times

Advertisements

That's a lethal blow right there. Don't take the Blue Man Group away from us!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The New York Times is second to none. To me, the point is that the demand for this type of media outlet is on the decline, and it's unlikely that a second tier paper like the Trib will every ascend to this level.
I agree with many of the things you've said in this thread, but... Not this one.

The NYT is a jerk-bib for pretentious, masturbatory drivel.

The Wall Street Journal is second to none, except maybe the Guardian.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:08 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I agree with many of the things you've said in this thread, but... Not this one.

The NYT is a jerk-bib for pretentious, masturbatory drivel.

The Wall Street Journal is second to none, except maybe the Guardian.
Well, the WSJ and Guardian will certainly give you some dissimilar perspectives to bounce off one another... What do you read down in Sao Paulo? I got hooked on the International Herald Tribune when I lived in Paris, but looking at it now it just seems like an international USA Today.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Well, the WSJ and Guardian will certainly give you some dissimilar perspectives to bounce off one another... What do you read down in Sao Paulo? I got hooked on the International Herald Tribune when I lived in Paris, but looking at it now it just seems like an international USA Today.
I haven't found any good newspapers in Brazil, to be honest. There are a few political rags written for the elite that live in Brasilia, but they all look to be written for one form of propaganda or another. The other side of the spectrum are the newspapers that focus only on the plight of the poor and the evil, evil classes they will destroy.

Sao Paulo has some unique business coverage, but nothing that has really weaned me away from WSJ or Guardian.

I suppose I underestimated the quality of veracity you find in news coverage outside of Western Europe or the USA.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:31 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post

So was I but that first positive impression of Chicago quickly wears off and this is the main reason very seldom anybody of any prominent stature moves to Chicago.
Whatever do you mean? YOU moved here, sir!

Quote:
To impress the world you need to find something unique, something that would draw people from around the country and the world. High crime and legendary corruption will not do the trick. A global media outlet would definetely help.

PS. As a matter of fact I am not blind and realize Chicago's own CSO is a good reason to be proud.
You know, what really baffles me about you is that you seem to think that you, a regular joe off the street, can offer sweeping insight into the things that could improve this city just because you lived in New York for a while. Are you serious with this? Do you think you're the only New Yorker in this town, or that you can offer any insight that I couldn't glean from a JetBlue roundtrip to JFK and a weekend on my brother's couch?

Chicago has a great deal to be proud of, and needs to defend itself to none, least of all you. The arts here are fantastic and accessible. Plenty of good live music. A nightlife scene you can actually afford. Affordable neighborhoods that are still walking distance from lots of great stuff. I happen to be a big fan of improv and sketch comedy, and Chicago is the epicenter for that. Improv, especially. To be honest, if it weren't for freezing winters (and don't get giddy, I consider NYC to be an unbearable ice-pit, too) and a family that's largely still in the Southeast, I don't know that I'd ever move. If I did, to another city, it'd be some place like Seattle, Portland, or maybe Austin. These are places with a vibe I enjoy.

And perhaps that's key. Find a place. Dig in. See if you like it. If you do, you do. If you don't, move on. I fail to understand your negativism, but can rest assured that the scores and scores of people I know who love this city, both as visitors and residents, have a place on one side of the see-saw, and your scathing criticism has a spot on the opposite side. (Remind me of In Bruges. Great movie. Speaking of cities that aren't for everyone...)

Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post

Grammer, or spellink?
Both. Do you know how to spell?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
This is getting hilarious.

How aloof and stubborn can you be about mindless topics before you find something better to do? I mean, it's like 1,000 to 1, and the guy thinks he's winning because people aren't commenting as much.

I think it's because people just have jobs, a hobby...or something better to do than fight with a pull-string doll who keeps repeating the same cliche comments.

It is entertaining though to scan through for a few minutes...

Old 01-28-2009, 01:35 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
I am here to defend the honor of New Jersey and all it's inhabitants against repeated slurs posted here, mostly by Lookout.

We have to put up with that $hit all the time from people from the midwest who have lived in Manhattan or Brooklyn for two hours--or has visited a friend there who has lived there for for four hours.

Find another way to make yourself feel sophisticated instead of dumping on innocent people who for some absurd, unfathomable reason live right outside of NYC, or even worse, happened to be born there.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:42 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
I'm waiting for an apology. (foot tapping and smiley face)

Old 01-28-2009, 01:50 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I'm waiting for an apology. (foot tapping and smiley face)
I apologize. I have no beef with New Jersey. I actually have a lot of affection for New York City and its surroundings. I was attacking the superiority complex of our slimy lilttle troll du jour, and got out of line with the B&T comment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago