U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:23 PM

4,172 posts, read 4,715,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigsHiggins View Post
The big thing in my personal favor is that the space I'm looking at is on the top floor and is a corner unit.
The top floor/corner unit is a definite advantage. Most people don't like having people above them and women especially like the added safety. I also lived on the top floor/corner unit in the condos next to Catherine Court. That'd be weird if it's the same unit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM

36,599 posts, read 57,867,463 times
Remember what I said about the Irving Park neighborhood? Everything goes doubly for this neighborhood: VERY basic amenities, VERY basic housing, VERY basic quality of life... there's just not a lot going on in that neighborhood. Less of a gang presence than in Irving Park, less population density overall (though it may seem dense in your immediate surroundings if you're in a condo complex. Expect LOTS of noise on account of being able to throw a rock from your Kitchen window and hit a) the expressway, b) the train, c) a major regional thoroughfare (Cubmerland Avenue), or d) the world's busiest or second-busiest airport, depending on which direction you throw the rock.

That area is one of the places I'm considering looking when I'm done with school if I end up working downtown because my wife works in the NW suburbs, and that's about the best spot you can be if you want to have access to both the NW suburbs and downtown. One thing's for certain, I won't be looking there because it's serene or pretty.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:03 PM

25 posts, read 63,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Remember what I said about the Irving Park neighborhood? Everything goes doubly for this neighborhood: VERY basic amenities, VERY basic housing, VERY basic quality of life... there's just not a lot going on in that neighborhood. Less of a gang presence than in Irving Park, less population density overall (though it may seem dense in your immediate surroundings if you're in a condo complex. Expect LOTS of noise on account of being able to throw a rock from your Kitchen window and hit a) the expressway, b) the train, c) a major regional thoroughfare (Cumberland Avenue), or d) the world's busiest or second-busiest airport, depending on which direction you throw the rock.

That area is one of the places I'm considering looking when I'm done with school if I end up working downtown because my wife works in the NW suburbs, and that's about the best spot you can be if you want to have access to both the NW suburbs and downtown. One thing's for certain, I won't be looking there because it's serene or pretty.
True, the area isn't "exciting" but I guess the things that you view as negative I view as positive. Taxes are lower in this area over the area in Irving Park as well. With all this said, I'm still not set on anything, just considering my options.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:41 PM

111 posts, read 246,390 times
I'm assuming that anyone familiar with this area is also familiar with Edison Park, but have you checked that out as well? When I lived there, there were a few condo conversions that were going up--my guess is that there's quite a few units still available at decent prices. The condos you're looking at off Cumberland are fine--but you will get a bit more of a neighborhood feel by going a mile north. (The people will be the same--except for marital status. Catherine Courts and the other condos in the area have a lot of divorced cops--the marrried ones are in Edison and Norwood Parks)

Old 01-27-2009, 04:43 PM

36,599 posts, read 57,867,463 times
I doubt he's going to find anything in Edison Park in his price range (which he had mentioned in another thread is in the $100,000 range). In fact I'm surprised there's anything this side of a broom closet available near 90 and Cumberland in that price range.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 PM

111 posts, read 246,390 times
That changes things--you're right, he won't find anything in Edison Park for that. I'm also surprised there's anything in that range anywhere in the area. I'd be really careful about buying such a low-priced condo.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:17 PM

25 posts, read 63,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm68 View Post
That changes things--you're right, he won't find anything in Edison Park for that. I'm also surprised there's anything in that range anywhere in the area. I'd be really careful about buying such a low-priced condo.
Yeah I've looked at Edison Park, Jefferson Park, etc. Like I stated though it's unfortunately out of my price range. I'd love to live in one of those areas and perhaps someday I will. Basically, all the places I'm looking at are foreclosures since it's really all I can afford. It's almost inevitable that I will have to fix the place up but at this point in my life, I'm open to doing that and I think it will be a rather gratifying experience to do so. The goal here is to live where ever it is that I end up at for a few years then either flip it or rent it out, taking whatever profit or equity I've acquired and put that on a new place. I'm going at this from more of an investment standpoint rather than a place to settle down at forever.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,253,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigsHiggins View Post
...The big thing in my personal favor is that the space I'm looking at is on the top floor and is a corner unit. I still have to worry about bothering the neighbor downstairs I suppose and perhaps the one I share a wall with but at least I won't have anything noise coming from above me or on either sides of the wall.
I think you should be ok in that situation. If anything you can rip out the wall(s) that abut the unit next to you and soundproof them.

If you find the right people you can do it really cheap. Paint the walls yourself to save money.

Also throw some area rugs down to cut down on the noise to your neighbor beneath you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago