Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,156,678 times

Advertisements

I actually thought I would NEVER even think about living in a studio, but I have many friends who did it, and it actually seemed like a good idea.

They're usually decently sized, and no one I know ever came close to using their bed for anything other than sleeping (saying you'd be on it watching TV or relaxing).

I always had a 1 bedroom, but it was a kitchen-living room combo and then a bedroom off to the side. I don't think I would have minded at all if the bed was just in that same room and the wall was missing. It was nice and cozy.

The one thing that was certain among my friends is that those who lived in studios did so because the areas they wanted to live were extremely active and more expensive. They lived there because of their busy lives and were NEVER home anyway.

People who live farther out can easily afford a 1 bedroom in places like Logan Square for what a studio cost in east Lakeview.

Maybe there are lots of studios in further out areas from the lakefront, but I've never known anyone in a western neighborhood who lived in a studio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,069,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Because any person who isn't 75 living in Chicago is never home. Why would anyone pay so much to live alone for an extra wall you'll never functionally use?

To be in the middle of one of only perhaps three of the thriving urban megalopoli in the United States and to sit at home in the evening?

That's just weird. I was never home, and from the sounds of it most other forumers aren't either.
Ya right! In NYC that could be said, not in Chicago. Please with that "ALL of Chicago is on-the-go" ALL the time. Especially during those real cold spells during the winter time. If you've EVER been to NYC, you'd see the difference about how many people are out-an-about.

Most of Chicago's neighborhoods don't have alot of foot traffic. And are you that worried about 1 or 2 hundred bucs a month so that you can live like an adult and not some college kid? Chicago rents are cheap to begin with, 800 or 900 hundred for a 1 bedroom is expensive to you?

Even if someone is on-the-go alot, that extra 1 or 2 hundred a month would be worth it just to be able to sit on an actual COUCH to watch tv, instead of a bed. Let me guess though, people in Chicago, don't watch ANY tv either.

P.S. Anybody, and I do mean ANYBODY, who visits this site, or similiar ones, isn't a type of person who's on-the-go ALL the time. I know those type of people, and they wouldn't waste ONE MINUTE on a computer. You'll have people on the NYC forum do the same thing. They talk about NYC this, NYC that, and how much MORE exciting NYC is than ANYWHERE else. Yet, there they are, day in, and day out, posting on this site. It'll be a Friday or Saturday night, and there they are, posting here. I'm smart enough to pick up on it, and smart enough to know that people who are truly active and ALWAYS running around, ain't interested in killing time on the computer.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,552,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Ya right! In NYC that could be said, not in Chicago. Please with that "ALL of Chicago is on-the-go" ALL the time. Especially during those real cold spells during the winter time. If you've EVER been to NYC, you'd see the difference about how many people are out-an-about.

Most of Chicago's neighborhoods don't have alot of foot traffic. And are you that worried about 1 or 2 hundred bucs a month so that you can live like an adult and not some college kid? Chicago rents are cheap to begin with, 800 or 900 hundred for a 1 bedroom is expensive to you?

Even if someone is on-the-go alot, that extra 1 or 2 hundred a month would be worth it just to be able to sit on an actual COUCH to watch tv, instead of a bed. Let me guess though, people in Chicago, don't watch ANY tv either.

P.S. Anybody, and I do mean ANYBODY, who visits this site, or similiar ones, isn't a type of person who's on-the-go ALL the time. I know those type of people, and they wouldn't waste ONE MINUTE on a computer. You'll have people on the NYC forum do the same thing. They talk about NYC this, NYC that, and how much MORE exciting NYC is than ANYWHERE else. Yet, there they are, day in, and day out, posting on this site. It'll be a Friday or Saturday night, and there they are, posting here. I'm smart enough to pick up on it, and smart enough to know that people who are truly active and ALWAYS running around, ain't interested in killing time on the computer.

Obviously, Pittsburgh must not be all that exciting......

Old 02-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Obviously, Pittsburgh must not be all that exciting......
I ain't living in Pittsburgh, haven't for years. Never said Pittsburgh was "real exciting". And I'd be the first to admit that I'm not someone who likes to be on-the-go constanly. If I was, I wouldn't have time to spend on here, now would I? Doesn't change that fact, that alot of Chicagoan's, like to spend time at home too. I lived there for years, I wouldn't make a statement like that if I didn't know or think it was true.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I ain't living in Pittsburgh, haven't for years. Never said Pittsburgh was "real exciting". And I'd be the first to admit that I'm not someone who likes to be on-the-go constanly. If I was, I wouldn't have time to spend on here, now would I? Doesn't change that fact, that alot of Chicagoan's, like to spend time at home too. I lived there for years, I wouldn't make a statement like that if I didn't know or think it was true.

Uh-huh. That's nice.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Uh-huh. That's nice.
Wow, kinda shup you up quick......

Old 02-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Wow, kinda shup you up quick......

Nah, more like I really just couldn't care less about your long-winded explanation post.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,651,543 times
Quote:

Yeah... No.

I've lived in Manhattan, and for about two years. There was little if any change in my lifestyle when I moved to Chicago, except that I paid about a thousand two hundred less for my studio.

I've been on the go 24-7 since I was 19 I suppose this makes me one of those unhappy, unfulfilled people, right?

Just grow up and get a clue, I don't come on here to have to skim through the posts of children.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Yeah... No.

I've lived in Manhattan, and for about two years. There was little if any change in my lifestyle when I moved to Chicago, except that I paid about a thousand two hundred less for my studio.

I've been on the go 24-7 since I was 19 I suppose this makes me one of those unhappy, unfulfilled people, right?

Just grow up and get a clue, I don't come on here to have to skim through the posts of children.
You've been on the go since you were 19? Ya right. I know, when it's in the single digits, or below zero with the wind chill in Chicago, there you are, running around the streets night and day.

Even the MOST active people spend time indoors when the weather is real lousy outside. You might be able to fool others, not me though. In fact, I see you posting on here quite a bit, when you are posting, is 'that' considered on-the-go time too? Are you walking with your labtop as you post?

Old 02-07-2009, 09:30 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,651,543 times
Quote:
You've been on the go since you were 19? Ya right. I know, when it's in the single digits, or below zero with the wind chill in Chicago, there you are, running around the streets night and day.

Even the MOST active people spend time indoors when the weather is real lousy outside. You might be able to fool others, not me though. In fact, I see you posting on here quite a bit, when you are posting, is 'that' considered on-the-go time too? Are you walking with your labtop as you post?
Yes, yes and yes

I am on a laptop in Sao Paulo. I travel frequently, sometimes by helicopter, often enough by car, and wherever I am I usually have my trusty laptop.

When I was 19, I was a student at the University of Chicago, so I was in Hyde Park-- but we made trips to Chicago every weekend, and then I had internships in the city over the summer. And we were there even when there were blizzards and icestorms, waiting on the L or taking a taxi home. When the weather was -19. In the winter. In Chicago.

Seriously, child. Get a life.

EDIT: As I think I've mentioned, when I returned to Chicago from Manhattan I even ran around the city in stilettos, in winter.

I don't know what kind of weak-willed, watery spirited women you're accustomed to. But this Chicago girl doesn't ***** and moan just because there's some ice on the ground. Between public trans, taxis and venues, I'm not sure what difficulty anyone could really have... Aside from perhaps momentary discomfort?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago