Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times

Advertisements

Just getting back at the man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Edit
-Scratch that-(I'll get a lot of heat from you guys)

I support graffiti

Rather have some graff then a bland old wall.
So, because you like something, you think that gives you the right to deface other peoples property?

I think your car would look better pink. Guess you should have no problem with my spray painting your car right?

If you want to tag, and support graffiti, good for you... spray paint your own **** not other peoples.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:19 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
So, because you like something, you think that gives you the right to deface other peoples property?

I think your car would look better pink. Guess you should have no problem with my spray painting your car right?

If you want to tag, and support graffiti, good for you... spray paint your own **** not other peoples.
Most graff artists I know frown upon writing on private property. Graffiti, to many who participate, goes on city property as a statement. Places like bridges, and items like dumpsters, power boxes, etc are used for a reason. But for many, "graffiti" has become a term for anyone who uses spray-paint, no matter what they're painting on. Think of it like a musician - most musicians don't care what genre of music they're playing, they just want to play. It's the expression side of it. The act of playing music is like their fix, as is painting for artists. They're inspired to create, and all they have to do is buy some spray paint. It's much more holistic than I'm sure you realize. Those who write graff aren't all hoodlums and gangstas tagging a building for territory, and many of the most respected graffiti artists are respected in other artistic mediums as well (drawing, canvas painting, design, etc).

And, this is just my opinion, but I think it's much easier for a city to embrace it's artistic residents and have sanctioned or "safe" spots for graff writers than to worry itself trying to catch, clean-up after, punish, and jail writers. Also seems like a cheaper alternative.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:24 AM

483 posts, read 1,221,427 times
Cars, houses, churches, etc, don't get wrote on. Would rather have graffiti than Mayor Daley's brown walls, gives me something to look at on the train.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I hate graffiti. Just looks dirty and ugly. Tagging is far worse than graffiti, since it's usually on private property and is just a ramble of nonsense letters and symbols.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:05 AM

27 posts, read 40,395 times
I agree 100%. The graffiti added personality and character to the city. NYC still has a alot of graffiti around and it definately gives off a certain feel to the city. Don't listen to the people here OP, most would rather have a decade old mirral torn down in replacement of an ugly, square, cookie cutter condo. Thus rendering their opinions, invalid.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 6,565 times
YouTube - Chicago Graffiti and Bombing 4

Last edited by Chicago-n; 11-17-2009 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 11:07 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I hate graffiti. Just looks dirty and ugly. Tagging is far worse than graffiti, since it's usually on private property and is just a ramble of nonsense letters and symbols.
Tags (I'm assuming you mean the smaller, one color, handwritten tags) aren't just random symbols and letters thrown together. More often than not, they're a name. Some can be hard to read, though.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
And, this is just my opinion, but I think it's much easier for a city to embrace it's artistic residents and have sanctioned or "safe" spots for graff writers than to worry itself trying to catch, clean-up after, punish, and jail writers. Also seems like a cheaper alternative.
I agree. This is the approach many European cities have taken. Unfortunately art, or more specifically street art, isn't appreciated here in the US the way it is overseas.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Graffiti is cool and most people who do it are respectful enough to not put it where people would seriously mind it. Walls that people care about get painted over real quick anyway, making it pointless. FYI gang "graffiti" is not graffiti. If you see some hideous, retarded symbols on your garage, that's a gang problem, not a graffiti problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago