U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM

2,475 posts, read 3,115,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvt10 View Post
Here in Lincoln Park I see places closing, storefronts left empty for more than a year and it just seems like a decline.
I myself have noticed an unusually disturbing number of empty storefronts in Lincoln Park as well as Lakeview in recent months -- more than I've ever seen before, and I've lived in the area nearly 16 years now. Not that those areas are "dead" by any means -- not even close -- but I'm finding the vacancies a bit alarming.

I keep telling myself it's just the economic downturn, ahd that the situation will improve once the national economy really starts picking up, but sometimes I wonder if there's something more going on. If this state keeps raising taxes and is perceived as "business unfriendly", that certainly isn't going to help matters any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 PM

2,885 posts, read 3,324,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I love when people cite jobs as a reason to leave Chicago...for Wiscosin and Indiana, Texas and the Carolinas? WTF do you make minimum wage? I could have two of my equivalent jobs in Texas and one in Indiana and still not make the salary I'm making now.
Exactly. The only cities I could find an equivalent job in would be NYC, San Francisco/San Jose, and maybe Boston, Seattle, or Toronto. Worldwide you could include London, Sydney and Hong Kong (to be fair if I spoke another language fluently there would be a handful of other cities in other parts of the world). The rest of the world is just off my job map unless I make a career change. London is somewhat attractive, but I can live a much more comfortable life in Chicago and be on the same continent as my family and friends. London has a lot to offer that attracts me, but I'd end up missing things that Chicago offers so I don't really see myself going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 PM

68 posts, read 66,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Exactly. The only cities I could find an equivalent job in would be NYC, San Francisco/San Jose, and maybe Boston, Seattle, or Toronto. Worldwide you could include London, Sydney and Hong Kong (to be fair if I spoke another language fluently there would be a handful of other cities in other parts of the world). The rest of the world is just off my job map unless I make a career change. London is somewhat attractive, but I can live a much more comfortable life in Chicago and be on the same continent as my family and friends. London has a lot to offer that attracts me, but I'd end up missing things that Chicago offers so I don't really see myself going anywhere in the foreseeable future.
I'm curious as to what you'd be missing in London.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 AM

10,782 posts, read 14,528,050 times
People either forget or they don't understand that when you mover from LA or NYC to Chiago it is a bit of a culture shock. It is equally true when one moves from Chicago to Miami, or Atlanta or Dallas there is a culture shock. Chicago is the dominate city in the Midwest - not just in Illinois.

Th housing bubble has to burst and bottom out before the economy will imroveany. Unless a city is self-suficient, it will struggle a great deal to maintain status quo. . Most aren't; most ignored the warning signs; most ignored the .

Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 AM

7,739 posts, read 5,425,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I myself have noticed an unusually disturbing number of empty storefronts in Lincoln Park as well as Lakeview in recent months -- more than I've ever seen before, and I've lived in the area nearly 16 years now. Not that those areas are "dead" by any means -- not even close -- but I'm finding the vacancies a bit alarming.

I keep telling myself it's just the economic downturn, ahd that the situation will improve once the national economy really starts picking up, but sometimes I wonder if there's something more going on. If this state keeps raising taxes and is perceived as "business unfriendly", that certainly isn't going to help matters any.
It's called the worst recession since the Great Depression. That usually ruins some businesses.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 AM

2,504 posts, read 2,049,979 times
Quote:
quite possibly his friends and family. the lake? who knows... hell i'd miss aspects of pittsburgh if i moved to london

Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,809,236 times
well said, and is it me or does it seem like a political bashing of chicago and illinois- i go to the business section of craines and its plastered with move to indiana ads- i realize we are not in a favorable climate anyplace in the united states but lets level the playing field here.

I know this is off topic a little but i just read in ch trib where the city of gary doesnt even have enough money to keep the library open.

Just an observation but who is creating the backlash
its not like we are not all from the good ol usa but people on these boards really seem to slam illinois and slam chicago right now... geez

Old 03-30-2011, 10:31 AM

2,885 posts, read 3,324,749 times
Quote:
Quite a few things. As mentioned, friends and family would be a big one, although I do have some family and a couple friends in London.

There are the obvious ones - sports (baseball and basketball in particular), specific foods (i.e. good pizza of ANY sort), the lake (beaches, sailing, kayaking), and politics. The difference in cost of living is huge too, I'd have to make at least twice what I make now to be able to live a similar lifestyle. I also build and cook a lot and really like having a garage for a workshop and a yard with a garden. I have that here and am still just 10-15 minutes from downtown via the El. That wouldn't be affordable in London unless I won the lottery or something. Driving and parking is much easier here as well, which I like for running errands on weekends and transporting large objects. Being able to drive an hour out of the city and being able to ride ATVs and shoot some guns is a big plus too, I'd have to drive a few hours to Devon to be able to do that in London.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 AM

378 posts, read 312,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
People either forget or they don't understand that when you mover from LA or NYC to Chiago it is a bit of a culture shock. It is equally true when one moves from Chicago to Miami, or Atlanta or Dallas there is a culture shock. Chicago is the dominate city in the Midwest - not just in Illinois.
Or Chicago to Scandinavia..... *sigh*

I miss Chicago.

Chicago is suffering from an education mismatch, which is why so many companies are leaving. Industry in the rest of the region can rely on associates as the median degree, but Chicago's economy is reliant on a diverse set of services, that industries in the region used in the past. While there may be 'enough' people that are well educated in Chicago to staff these posts, there are not enough of them to bring the wages down to a level companies can afford. Companies are headed to places like Madison now.

Maybe Chicago should pay for highschool grads to go to college for two years. That would grab the attention of Boeing.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:59 AM

7,739 posts, read 5,425,172 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm a little wary of investing in property here because of the strong suburban influence here. On top of a 10.25% sales tax (highest in any city in the US) they just doubled state income taxes and very easily the city of Chicago could halt and then reverse its growth. Many will get upset in my saying so, but especially on north side the roads and infrastructure are not conducive to growth and the headaches of dealing with it all make the suburbs look more and more appealing by the day. No potholes everywhere, no narrow roads, no ridiculous traffic and parking issues, no ridiculous sales tax and property taxes, less corruption, no gangs and much reduced to nearly non-existant violent crime. Sometimes I find myself wondering what benefits I get really get from living in the city of Chicago. Here in Lincoln Park I see places closing, storefronts left empty for more than a year and it just seems like a decline. On weekends it seems like all of suburbia comes here to eat and drink, and I can barely get my car out of the garage or find parking if I need to park. People will hate me for saying, but I'd fully support a toll to get into downtown or Lincoln park and further a weekend tripling of parking rates coupled with a doubling of public transit from from some big parking lot west of the river like they bus in Cubs fans. It would make the place livable again on weekends.

But basically while suburban life is bland beyond belief, it may be preferable to all the downsides of living in the city of Chicago. Most people here have family out there anyway and they most likely grew up in the Chicago suburbs or other suburban like towns so going back wouldn't bother them so much. Add to that the fact that many Chicago suburbs are amongst the best in the country. It would not surprise me to see a reverse flow of people.

I lived in Cleveland for a few years and that place has nothing in the city proper. Downtown is in shambles and is unsafe. The Tower City shopping center didn't really attract people like it was supposed to. The only thing that it has is the entertainment district "The Flats" and the rest of the city is dead and unsafe. I doubt Chicago would end up as bad as that, but it could get more like that.
If you're going to comment about things, at least you should know what the actual sales tax in the City is, it's 9.75% and will revert to 9.25% next year. Not the highest in the country thanks to Ms. Preckwinkle. Now we've got to work on the income tax increase (that wasn't double btw), though it's still well below most states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago