U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:33 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,099,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It's called the worst recession since the Great Depression. That usually ruins some businesses.
Oh but the recession is over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:05 AM

35,926 posts, read 55,292,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
Maybe Chicago should pay for highschool grads to go to college for two years. That would grab the attention of Boeing.
Sheesh, you're a major step ahead of the ground game. Chicago needs to get its students to graduate high school first. For the depressingly few who make it past this rudimentary benchmark, there's a whole network of 2-year city colleges they can attend.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 AM

27,238 posts, read 26,001,894 times
The only thing I have to say about this is--I wish Chicago would have played up its ties to organized crime. I'd would have been interested to tour these spots, only to find that they're basically gone.

The hotel Capone lived in when he was king of Chicago has been torn down. The warehouse that the St. Valentine's Day Massacre happened in is unidentifiable to most people. Chicago wants to sweep that era under the rug, when they should celebrate it. Those interested in the history, would have been interested.

As it happens, it may be that the only "historical" site I get to see is the Chicago Fire Academy, built on the spot where the Great Chicago Fire was supposed to have originated.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:55 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,757,795 times
Hendu, I was being sarcastic with the posting... I agree with you -personally I would not want to live anyplace else.. I was soundboarding off the comments that I have heard people downgrading Illinois and the whole chicago area. For what it is worth I have studied the states of Indiana and Wisconsin
Illinois is just about the same with the whole tax deal . Plates in Indiana are an arm and a leg , they have an option county tax which for some reason people overlook. Pension or retirement income is taxed in indiana and wisconsin the list can go on and on... its the naysayers of thinking the grass is greener. well its not. I really dont know that much about texas but I would assume since i have lived here all my life it would not be to my liking that is not bad it is just what i am used to..
really i am sick of all the bashing of chicago and all the bashing of illinois it just rips me apart to hear people on the boards trashing illinois all the time because they have this preception from the media that all taxes are lower in neigboring states.

It really is about equal for taxation.
Wisconsin and Indiana both have governors who are republicans and i believe they are just attempting to ride the wave. I am not saying Quinn is good its just they come from different sides of the aisle and this year it just seems so cut throat . in all reality i have friends in Michigan , indiana , ohio and wisconsin all good people. not sure where the mean spirited people come from here on the boards but its there and i just laugh

Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 AM

7,647 posts, read 5,260,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Hendu, I was being sarcastic with the posting... I agree with you -personally I would not want to live anyplace else.. I was soundboarding off the comments that I have heard people downgrading Illinois and the whole chicago area. For what it is worth I have studied the states of Indiana and Wisconsin
Illinois is just about the same with the whole tax deal . Plates in Indiana are an arm and a leg , they have an option county tax which for some reason people overlook. Pension or retirement income is taxed in indiana and wisconsin the list can go on and on... its the naysayers of thinking the grass is greener. well its not. I really dont know that much about texas but I would assume since i have lived here all my life it would not be to my liking that is not bad it is just what i am used to..
really i am sick of all the bashing of chicago and all the bashing of illinois it just rips me apart to hear people on the boards trashing illinois all the time because they have this preception from the media that all taxes are lower in neigboring states.

It really is about equal for taxation.
Wisconsin and Indiana both have governors who are republicans and i believe they are just attempting to ride the wave. I am not saying Quinn is good its just they come from different sides of the aisle and this year it just seems so cut throat . in all reality i have friends in Michigan , indiana , ohio and wisconsin all good people. not sure where the mean spirited people come from here on the boards but its there and i just laugh
You will pay more income tax in WI than in IL and that's after our tax increase.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:56 AM

378 posts, read 308,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
We used to hate Canada instead of each other. Maybe we should watch more hockey and reignite our rivalry with the cannucks?

Old 03-31-2011, 04:05 PM

162 posts, read 165,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think southerners tend to have a more dying city-rustbelt view of Chicago compared to people living up north.

A lot of people from my travels to the south think that everything up north is more grey, industry, big old cities, etc. It's that whole gotham view from down south looking north.

I had a good friend in Arkansas working in a small town, and NONE of the people in her office had ever vacationed up north, let alone the Midwest.

She was really excited because for a business meeting a whole ton of them were coming to Chicago. She wanted to show them around, and try and correct all the crazy stuff they thought about northern cities. They ended up canceling the trip, and my friend was amazed that everyone was so RELIEVED that they didn't have to go to Chicago. She said when it was cancelled they all admitted that they had been scared to death about visiting Chicago, and how they would be treated as Southerners by Northerners. Weird.
I always thought the city had more of a Southern culture than most would think or assume anyway.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
As it happens, it may be that the only "historical" site I get to see is the Chicago Fire Academy, built on the spot where the Great Chicago Fire was supposed to have originated.
Oh come on! There are plenty of historical sites to go to.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
We used to hate Canada instead of each other. Maybe we should watch more hockey and reignite our rivalry with the cannucks?
I don't think the U.S. has hated Canada since the British still ruled it.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:55 PM

3,025 posts, read 2,824,388 times
Is Chicago a dead city? Let's see. The city, mostly laid our before the true automotive era, is pretty well blanketed by major streets that run on a grid and provide nearby bus service to virtually all residents. Then as an overlay, there is one of the most extensive rapid transit systems in the nation in CTA. Add to that the in city coverage that Metra lines give on their way from downtown to the suburbs.

Now...

Compare that with the very "live" cities the likes of Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc., which sprawl out to eternity within their city limits were built as part of the car culture and endless sprawl. With the price of gasoline skyrocketing, what is to become of these endless neighborhoods and single family homes that cannot be connected through by anything but the family car due to the horrendous urban planning they received.

And much of the growth in these Sun Belt cities didn't come about by the existence of jobs which through industry and transportation and the development of a strong white collar core was what drove Chicago's upward.

So pardon my skepticism, but I'll take the chances of future success of "dead" Chicago over these already dinosaur cities of the southwest that, far more than the so called Rust Belt, truly represent America in decline and insanity in its dependence and overuse of resources. Not just oil, mind you. Think of what happens in Vegas when the real reality of water strikes home. And dry.

In the long run, the decidedly urban and older cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and Boston are more adjusted to future needs than ironically are the Sun Belt cities whose era of easy living is in the process of being torpedoed by Mother Nature who just doesn't seem to have enough of the old resources to share any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago