Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 PM

158 posts, read 302,304 times

Advertisements

My Mother's family lived on Menard and Division a few blocks from St. Angela's and never had any problems. The problem that was in the late 60's and early 70's lol! Austin is your place if you like drugs, gangs and violent crime. Austin from end to end Cicero to Austin and from North Avenue to Roosevelt Road except for Galewood west of Narragansett is a combat zone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 02:46 AM

1 posts, read 891 times
Hi i will be moving to south austin that what is says..!! I never lived in chicago but found good reasonable place in south austin near to my work ..do u guys think the areas has been cleared up now or improving in progress? Please help with reviews

Old 05-01-2018, 09:27 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
Champs2019, as a frequent visitor to Chicago, I can say that I have driven through different parts of the Austin neighborhood. And Galewood is the only section where I felt a sense of comfort to get out and walk around, at times alone or at times with my children. As North Side Brandon indicated, going west of Narragansett, at this time, certainly has a different look and feel than other parts of Austin. Sincerely, Master Jay from Milwaukee

Old 05-01-2018, 09:51 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Clear up vs cleared out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champs2019 View Post
Hi i will be moving to south austin that what is says..!! I never lived in chicago but found good reasonable place in south austin near to my work ..do u guys think the areas has been cleared up now or improving in progress? Please help with reviews
Depopulation means that there are fewer people. That is not really a good thing, as many of those who have left are those that did have jobs and at least helped to keep a sense of people coming and going. The city tends to work on towing abandoned cars and trying to discourage trash dumped on vacant lots but it is still a long long way from improving in any meaningful way...

Old 05-04-2018, 12:51 PM

504 posts, read 496,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champs2019 View Post
When you say South Austin - do you mean 'The Island' in Austin? If so, perfectly safe.

Also, South Austin is reasonably safe west of Central, closer to Austin Blvd due to a couple police stations in the area (one in Oak Park and another on the Chicago side, both close to Madison).

I can recommend specific blocks if you are set on the area.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:03 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
When you say South Austin - do you mean 'The Island' in Austin? If so, perfectly safe.

Also, South Austin is reasonably safe west of Central, closer to Austin Blvd due to a couple police stations in the area (one in Oak Park and another on the Chicago side, both close to Madison).

I can recommend specific blocks if you are set on the area.
What do you think of the blocks of Austin near Division/Austin?

Old 05-11-2018, 10:03 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Glad to see you back!

Old 05-13-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Glad to see you back!
Thank you! I wish I had more time for participation, but life gets in the way. I should probably dig back and see if any interesting threads have been missed.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:50 PM

504 posts, read 496,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I used to buy liquor there when I was younger!

In terms of that area - its actually pretty nice, especially as you get closer to north ave/austin. It is relatively clean and not too many vacant lots around there. Being near austin blvd gives you a high police presence.

The only thing lacking is train transit, but I would consider the area to be quiet (possibly due to lack of transit?). Buses are convenient from there, north avenue has some food options - but that part of Oak Park has a lot less going on than the Lake Street/Chicago Ave/Madison stretches due to the fact that Division is more of a residential street in Oak Park.

Fine to live there!

Old 05-14-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
I used to buy liquor there when I was younger!

In terms of that area - its actually pretty nice, especially as you get closer to north ave/austin. It is relatively clean and not too many vacant lots around there. Being near austin blvd gives you a high police presence.

The only thing lacking is train transit, but I would consider the area to be quiet (possibly due to lack of transit?). Buses are convenient from there, north avenue has some food options - but that part of Oak Park has a lot less going on than the Lake Street/Chicago Ave/Madison stretches due to the fact that Division is more of a residential street in Oak Park.

Fine to live there!
Thanks for chiming in. My wife and I are looking at a couple of houses directly on austin ave, and initially was a little leery. I did my due diligence and it your experiences match up with the statistics- the census tracks that border Austin ave in the Chicago side are actually pretty quiet and safe. When we visit oak park and drive from portage park, we take Austin the whole way down, and contrary to popular belief, all of Austin is NOT bombed out. Actually, there are some very pretty blocks all along the western border.

In your experience, how far into Austin from north to division do you have to go go in before it gets sketchy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago