U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 03:26 PM

206 posts, read 608,059 times
Thank you so much, that is really helpful.

So what would be a safe way to visit U. of Chicago, like driving and not taking public transit or walk on the street? And only during daylight?

Are those people mugged on campus? Is the campus safe to walk in?

Is the public transit (bus and train) safe? It must be going among all these neighborhoods.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Safest? Probably the far Northwest Side...

Nicest? Well, in terms of what you are describing (near activities of young professionals), this would be the Gold Coast or Lincoln Park. Old Town and Lake View are also up there. Boundaries for these areas can be found on Wikipedia. All offer a pretty good level of urban safety with lots of entertainment and shopping for young professionals.

If you want to be more "downtown", River North, Streeterville, and the Loop all offer high-end living with good level of urban safety. The South Loop and West Loop (not to be confused with the actual "Loop") are formerly sketchy areas that have faced heavy gentrification--but still offer a slightly higher danger of being mugged.

If you want to go to the next tier, North Center and Lincoln Square are nice, very safe neighborhoods. Wicker Park and Bucktown are expensive, slightly more hipster-oriented neighborhoods on the edge of some rough stuff. At the next tier after that you'd find Edgewater and Buena Park. All of these are relatively safe neighborhoods with lots of young professionals.

Hyde Park (the neighborhood around the University of Chicago) is a very nice South Side neighborhood, but it is more dangerous than much of the North Side. I seem to know a very large number of people who have been mugged there--some more than once! The neighborhood has beautiful housing and a kind of cool intellectual vibe to it, but it borders some of the roughest real estate in Chicago (to the south and west).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 03:30 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,720,888 times
Yes, I live in Beverly and go there quite frequently. It's an interesting place in the sense that it's sort of frozen in time. It also contains a significant demographic of working class whites -- something that is noteworthy because it is all but gone on the rest of the south side. I appreciate Mt. Greenwood for what it is, and crime doesn't seem to be much of an issue there. There are some acceptable restaurants and the businesses are well run and well maintained, if nothing special. It's not a bad place.

However, so much of what one normally appreciates about the city and urban living is totally absent. The housing stock isn't that impressive at all. There is almost no good public transit (not even a metra stop). Beverly Arts Center is nice but otherwise there is very little culture. The restaurants suck by 21st century standards. It is a good place for a home and some peace and community within the city limits, but so many areas of Chicago are so much more spectacular, interesting, and unique, particularly if you are young and single. It would never occur to me to recommend it to any single person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west lawn kid View Post
Have you ever been there? its very nice if I could afford to move there I would do so in a heartbeat. Unless By nice you mean filthy rich in which case thats lincon park or bucktown but don't come crying tome if you get you car stolen.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:36 PM

Either the metra or the express busses from the city to Hyde Park are totally safe in the day. Late at night I wouldn't recommend doing it alone -- you'd be better off in a group. It's one of those things thats hard to quantify because many people come and go at all hours and the vast majority of the time nothing at all happens, but very occasionally (relative to the number of people out and about) something does happen that should never happen anywhere. It's almost always at night, though. In the day it feels extremely safe, and the Jackson Park Express and metra just go along the lakeshore, don't really pass any bad areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post

So what would be a safe way to visit U. of Chicago, like driving and not taking public transit or walk on the street? And only during daylight?

Is the public transit (bus and train) safe? It must be going among all these neighborhoods.

Thanks.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:39 PM

10,498 posts, read 17,767,732 times
A friend of mine moved to Hyde Park from Los Angeles and commuted to work in the Loop via Metra. She lived right on Hyde Park Avenue and would walk to the Metra stop. Within her first four months of living there, she was mugged twice. In fact the second time she recognized the behavior of the mugger as he looked at her and paused, and she knew it was coming.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:44 PM

It's amazing with the number of police in Hyde Park that it can be this easy. It goes to show that more cops only does so much.

For what it's worth I know quite a few mugging victims but many others who've never had a problem. The trend for the past 10 years though has been for crime to decrease pretty monotonically. Still some ugly stuff happens now and then though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
A friend of mine moved to Hyde Park from Los Angeles and commuted to work in the Loop via Metra. She lived right on Hyde Park Avenue and would walk to the Metra stop. Within her first four months of living there, she was mugged twice. In fact the second time she recognized the behavior of the mugger as he looked at her and paused, and she knew it was coming.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,486,067 times
I recall reading that Mount Greenwood is one of the highest income neighborhoods on the city because everybody there has a good job. Not ritzy jobs or "young professionals" (seems everybody who works in an office describes themselves as "professional" now), just really good jobs.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I recall reading that Mount Greenwood is one of the highest income neighborhoods on the city because everybody there has a good job. Not ritzy jobs or "young professionals" (seems everybody who works in an office describes themselves as "professional" now), just really good jobs.
It's probably true, though I'm going to guess that even its neighbor Beverly is quite a bit higher. Anyhow, averages only tell so much since in a lot of neighborhoods the distribution is bimodal. Hyde Park for example has much more money floating around than Mt. Greenwood, but also plenty of jobless people that bring the average way down.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:33 PM

20 posts, read 36,672 times
Safest? Nicest?

I'm gonna go with Englewood.

Totally kidding.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 PM

1,858 posts, read 2,768,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post

Thanks.
If your from a "not so good area" in NYC this should be common sense.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:48 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,337,103 times
As far as safe and full of other young professionals, I would suggest you consider Lincoln Park and Lakeview. One of my favorite areas is around the intersection of N. Clark and Diversey (you can mapquest it at 2800 N Broadway). Walk north up Broadway from there and also south down Clark. Tons of activity on the sidewalks and very safe.

That is a great epicenter from which to spread out and find apartments, etc. I just happen to like that area as it is bustling with young professionals, shops, restaurants, condos/apartments. You can go 10 blocks north and 10 blocks south from that intersection and find much of the same (and east all the way to Lake Michigan). I prefer to stay within 5 blocks of the Lake as I like the Park and running/bike trails. If you don't care about that, you can go further west.

Certainly we have other neighborhoods with young professionals: Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lincoln Square area to name a few. These are are more "inland" from the Lake.

As for the Univ. of Chicago, if you stay on campus or within a few blocks you will be fine walking around. There are 1000's of students and faculty that do it every day and night and most have never been in any danger.

Let us know if you need more info..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago