Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:58 PM

156 posts, read 330,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
not enough TV shows set in Chicago

even NJ had the Sopranos

Chi-town deserves a TV show

All those prime time shows on the networks were cop shows in NYC, or Teen Drama in LA

List of fiction set in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems like a pretty substantial list to me....

Old 02-22-2009, 05:03 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
not enough TV shows set in Chicago

Chi-town deserves a TV show
I take it you don't remember M Squad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M_Squad

I thought we had this "Chi-Town" nonsense settled.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:03 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
OP. I beg to differ. Chicago is extremely high profile and has become even more so since Obama started his run. Have you heard of the Chicago Board of Trade and Chicago Mercantile Exchange? Google them. Mega global concerns.

Headquarters to so many global companies I can't name them. Recently even Boeing moved here from Seattle.

American? Yes. But because "America" consists of people of all faiths and countries of origin and Chicago is a true melting pot.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLordYourGod View Post
List of fiction set in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems like a pretty substantial list to me....
They need to have Hill Street Blues on there.
It was pretty obvious that show was largely based off of Chicago even if it was not stated.

http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...lues_2_153.jpg

http://www.uic.edu/depts/police/Hist...%20Station.htm

"Many background exterior shots were filmed in Chicago, sans the principal actors — including the station house, which is the old Maxwell Street police station on Chicago's Near West Side (943 West Maxwell Street), and the current home of the University of Illinois at Chicago Police Department. The show's police cruisers are painted and marked almost exactly like Chicago police cars, the main difference being the red door lettering reading "METRO POLICE" rather than "CHICAGO POLICE", and the quarter panels featuring the United States flag versus the Chicago flag. In addition, the opening credits clearly show a squad car with an Illinois "M" plate, which are used for municipal police cars. The series frequently used establishing shots, under the credits at the beginning of the first act, showing an Interstate 80 sign, commuter trains entering and leaving the old Chicago and North Western Railway Chicago terminal (the C&NW yellow and green livery was clearly evident), and aerial views of South Side neighbourhoods. Exterior views of the Cook County Criminal Courthouse at 26th Street and California Avenue were used to establish court scenes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Street_Blues

Last edited by Avengerfire; 02-22-2009 at 05:17 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 05:17 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
They need to have Hill Street Blues on there.
It was pretty obvious that show was largely based off of Chicago even if it was not stated.

http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...lues_2_153.jpg

Untitled Document
"Hill Street Blues" was based on Pittsburgh's "Hill District" nabe, the creator of the show went to college in the city of Pittsburgh, and that's where it got the idea for the show. The Hill Distict is a crime ridden nabe, and obviously, it's VERY 'hilly'.

Chicago is a 'pancake', how could they name a show the "HILLstreet Blues" there?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:20 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seemed to be during the industrial/finance boom days, but nowadays even Miami has overtaken it. During the days of the Chicago Bulls and the White Sox earlier on it was firmly city number 3, but now it almost seems like any other big city, at least from an international perspective.

I personally think it's a really interesting city with a rich American heritage. The most American of the major cities, along with Philadelphia. I was actually hoping the Olympics would be held there in 2012, but not sure how that would go with the economy.
It's a powerhouse of a city that prides itself on being a place of quiet quality. This is one of its strong points.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Well there actually is a Hill Street in Chicago where a police station once was located.That is not the point.

Of course there are elements of Pittsburgh in the show and I am sure he probably did name the show off of that district.

But far more of the show is based off of Chicago. I know of no footage of Pittsburgh being used in it. Sorry.

"Many background exterior shots were filmed in Chicago, sans the principal actors — including the station house, which is the old Maxwell Street police station on Chicago's Near West Side (943 West Maxwell Street), and the current home of the University of Illinois at Chicago Police Department. The show's police cruisers are painted and marked almost exactly like Chicago police cars, the main difference being the red door lettering reading "METRO POLICE" rather than "CHICAGO POLICE", and the quarter panels featuring the United States flag versus the Chicago flag. In addition, the opening credits clearly show a squad car with an Illinois "M" plate, which are used for municipal police cars. The series frequently used establishing shots, under the credits at the beginning of the first act, showing an Interstate 80 sign, commuter trains entering and leaving the old Chicago and North Western Railway Chicago terminal (the C&NW yellow and green livery was clearly evident), and aerial views of South Side neighbourhoods. Exterior views of the Cook County Criminal Courthouse at 26th Street and California Avenue were used to establish court scenes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Street_Blues

There was a police station on or near Hill Street and Orleans in Chicago right in the midst of Cabrini-Green for many decades. It was torn down a few years ago when a new station was built a few blocks west at 1160 N. Larabee.

This is the view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rl...num=1&ct=title

Last edited by Avengerfire; 02-22-2009 at 05:40 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 05:25 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
Because it's surrounded by cows.
Leave your mother out of this.

Listen, you troll here, you get it dished back. Comprende?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post

Chicago is a 'pancake', how could they name a show the "HILLstreet Blues" there?
Pittsburgh is a has-been, mid-size city, how could they have a street called "CHICAGO Street" there, knowing that its not a Alpha-class world city like Chicago???

What a stupid statement!

Troll be gone!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:45 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well there actually is a Hill Street in Chicago where a police station once was located.That is not the point.

Of course there are elements of Pittsburgh in the show and I am sure he probably did name the show off of that district.

But far more of the show is based off of Chicago. I know of no footage of Pittsburgh being used in it. Sorry.

Hill Street Blues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think you're missing the point, "HILLstreet Blues" was really based on Pittsburgh's Hill District. Regardless of where it was filmed, Chicago has always been a mecca for for making shooting movies or tv series compared to Pittsburgh. Chicago I would say is only behind LA, NYC, San Fransico as far as movies go. Probably surpassing San Fransico in recent years even.

Shooting in the Hill District of Pittsburgh, especially at that time, would've been difficult if not impossible. Between the crime that existed there, and the city of Pittsburgh not really having too much experience at 'that' time with 'shooting locations'.

It's been YEARS since I seen that show. But, from what I remember, there was 'hills' in the show. I'm sorry, but if you've never been to Pittsburgh, you really don't know the difference. Chicago really is flat as a pancake.

I actually read somewhere when he talked about going to the Unvi. of Carnegie Mellon, and getting the idea for the show from the "Hill District" (or the "Hill" as we refer to it in Pittsburgh). Maybe he was just a co-writer, can't remember, but the "Hill" is what the show is based on. Notice they say "the active Hill District". It was "active" alright, lol lo lol , that's a nice way of putting it!

Just cause a show was shot in Chicago, doesn't mean it was 'based' on Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago