Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times

Advertisements

Seriously. Try attacking New York in the New York forum and see how they treat you. Or, to put it in perspective for an Aussie: Try going to the New Zeeland forum and talk about how stupid Kiwis are...

Old 02-24-2009, 09:03 AM

188 posts, read 477,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Chicago folk seem particularly defensive about anyone saying anything negative about their city.

Now it sounds like an awesome place, and I can't really speak at length about the place itself, I'm more referring to it's international reputation.
I dont know why you would expect any less. Probably all of the people call chicago here in this forum. So when you have NYC fanboys come in here and talk smack they are going to get treated like they should. Thats what the City vs City is for. If they have something positive to say I have no problem with that. But quite frankly dementor and euros are annoying and have no clue about chicago

Old 02-24-2009, 05:19 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times
Over the summer when I was in Chicago, I talked to a bunch of young adults from Poland who we’re visiting Chicago out on the streets, I also talked to a couple of young adult girls who were from Ukraine also visiting Chicago. I have also seen people from Macedonia and Serbia visiting Chicago. It seems to me that the City is well recognized outside of America. Plus the city is home to the largest building in America and doesn’t have something like the fourth largest city economy in the world?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Seriously. Try attacking New York in the New York forum and see how they treat you. Or, to put it in perspective for an Aussie: Try going to the New Zeeland forum and talk about how stupid Kiwis are...
I'm not attacking Chicago, people always have to interpret observation as attacking. But you're right, maybe I'm not the best person to comment, and maybe the question wasn't phrased the best way. I don't attempt to make any hard and fast conclusions.

Anyway I was kind of asking it because Chicago isn't that high profile HERE - a lot of Aussies don't even know where it is. A city's international profile is measured alot by how many people know it and what people know about it. For everyone who knows the Sears Tower, at least 4-5 know the Empire State Building.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonra25 View Post
eurous why dont you go to your NYC forum and you and your bf dementor can make sweet love while whispering NYC facts into each other's ears
LMBO

Thats hilarious. But somehow my threads got deleted.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
LMBO

Thats hilarious. But somehow my threads got deleted.
Shhh dont say anything the mods havent caught on so the joke is on eurous and dementor for the time being. 1 point for the chicagoans 0 for the Zoo Yorkers

Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times
Trimac, I think you should watch less E.T news & Soap Operas. That's the only way to enhance your understanding about the world.

"Finance and innovation make Chicago number two in US. The fourth-ranked center of commerce globally, topping cities such as Hong Kong and Los Angeles, Chicago's commodities and financial markets help it rank high in financial flow, while its world-class institutions of higher education lead to high marks on innovation and knowledge creation."

New York and Chicago maintain regional primacy. The only two North Americancities in the top 10 globally, both New York and Chicago benefit from leading financial markets and a strong U.S. business climate.

http://www.mastercard.com/us/company...Fact_Sheet.pdf

MasterCard Worldwide Ranks Cities for Strategic Impact on Global Commerce - Electronic Transactions Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I guess it is more from an international perspective and a media perspective. As posters have mentioned it is still quite overshadowed by NYC, LA and glamorous locales like Miami and Vegas. In Vegas you have Las Vegas, C.S.I. and others; in Chicago, only E.R. (of the shows we get here in Australia). Chicago is of course big within the USA, but let me tell you, it is far from a New York, LA, London or Paris. I'm not saying that's what it should aspire to, but more perplexed how it's been shuffled down the list of high profile US cities. I reckoned because it was so heartland American, it's finance etc was more intra-US; not sure if it's a big trade centre like NYC but in terms of world cities of comparable size like Hong Kong it's still a long way down the list.

Last edited by downtown1; 02-24-2009 at 11:44 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 02:54 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Trimac, I think you should watch less E.T news & Soap Operas. That's the only way to enhance your understanding about the world.

"Finance and innovation make Chicago number two in US. The fourth-ranked center of commerce globally, topping cities such as Hong Kong and Los Angeles, Chicago's commodities and financial markets help it rank high in financial flow, while its world-class institutions of higher education lead to high marks on innovation and knowledge creation."

New York and Chicago maintain regional primacy. The only two North Americancities in the top 10 globally, both New York and Chicago benefit from leading financial markets and a strong U.S. business climate.

http://www.mastercard.com/us/company...Fact_Sheet.pdf

MasterCard Worldwide Ranks Cities for Strategic Impact on Global Commerce - Electronic Transactions Association
The first thing I realized in Chicago was, that it was a city for business, and not for dreamers, although it does have a good amount of artistic types, especially for a city in the midwest. I think the whole novelty of NY and LA is simply the entertainment business (being on the coast doesn't hurt either), and it's perplexing that someone from Chicago would be upset to hear that.

Most people in foreign countries, or America for that matter, do not view a city's desirability based on how many Fortune 500 companies that town has, now maybe more should, but it hasn't happened throughout history and probably never will.

Yet, everyone can relate to an episode of friends and probably remembers watching at least parts of the first season of American Idol.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
The first thing I realized in Chicago was, that it was a city for business, and not for dreamers, although it does have a good amount of artistic types, especially for a city in the midwest. I think the whole novelty of NY and LA is simply the entertainment business (being on the coast doesn't hurt either), and it's perplexing that someone from Chicago would be upset to hear that.

Most people in foreign countries, or America for that matter, do not view a city's desirability based on how many Fortune 500 companies that town has, now maybe more should, but it hasn't happened throughout history and probably never will.

Yet, everyone can relate to an episode of friends and probably remembers watching at least parts of the first season of American Idol.
I dont think any Chicagoan cares that we dont rank up their with NYCs entertainment. But what gets everyone so riled up is when eurous and dementor come in here and start shooting their mouths off. Mainly because they say Chicago is not important. If you have a advanced understanding of the stock market you would know that futures and options (only sell in chicago) are crucial, because they help you hedge against rough times (right now). Without the ability to hedge the stock market would be incredibly low we are talking 500 for the s&p because no one would buy stocks. So without chicago wall street doesnt work to well, but some people will never understand that

Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post

And we just really dont care. Thats the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago