U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,257,929 times
Where I grew up on the far South side Rainbow Beach and Calumet Beach were where we swam in summer camp and such (this was like 1958-1965). There were often cinders in the water from the various plants that were there then (no longer) such as the steel plants and soap plants...even one malting plant for beer. I wouldn't be putting my big toe in waters anywhere near Chicago for Milwaukee for that matter. I'd stick with Northern Wisconsin and UP Michigan thanks. I don't care what the temperature is at least the water is fairly clean and not full of sewage and dead stuff. I moved to Highland Park in 67 and went in the lake up there. It was pretty good actually. Took some small sailboats out and had a good time. Would not be doing that in Chicago thanks.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,821,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsie View Post
Swimming in Lake Michigan is like swimming at an ocean. Only the water isn't salty so you don't have to wash your hair afterwards.
You should wash yourself up afterwards, no matter where you swim.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:03 AM

470 posts, read 405,176 times
So I'll be in Chicago the first week in August and I'll have a about two days off between meetings. I've thought about heading to some of the beaches. Is this just a tourist thing or do locals go to the beaches too?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,722,769 times
Locals absolutely go!!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:05 PM

4,263 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
So I'll be in Chicago the first week in August and I'll have a about two days off between meetings. I've thought about heading to some of the beaches. Is this just a tourist thing or do locals go to the beaches too?
Even at a beach like Oak St or North Ave, a large majority will likely be chicago area residents.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:40 PM

536 posts, read 488,896 times
The water was 76 degrees 10 miles out and 100ft deep on Saturday am!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:50 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,547,090 times
Lake Michigan water temperatures

CHICAGO SHORE....81 Lake Michigan/Marine - Chicago Weather Center

Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 PM

1,690 posts, read 1,132,291 times
Hell yes the locals go to the beaches. I've lived here for a long time and it is still one of the best things about living in the city.

Yesterday I called in sick to work and spent my day bike riding, drinking beer at the Fullerton Grill on the water and swimming on the beach.

Can't beat it!

Old 07-17-2012, 05:00 PM

470 posts, read 405,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Hell yes the locals go to the beaches. I've lived here for a long time and it is still one of the best things about living in the city.

Yesterday I called in sick to work and spent my day bike riding, drinking beer at the Fullerton Grill on the water and swimming on the beach.

Can't beat it!
This makes me happy! Maybe I'll make some new friends before I officially get moved up there.. Lol I just felt like the unpopular kid in high school.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post

Can't beat it!

There is no better way to live than this.

I haven't been been to the beach in 2 weeks. My wife and I were considering going tonight since it's 97 degrees in the apartment, but we're holed up in the bedroom with the window unit on instead. I'm eager to feel 81 degree beach water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago