U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:07 AM

188 posts, read 489,794 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone:

I've been reading these forums a lot during my apartment search and sought out neighborhoods that would be recommended for someone like me (young professional, recent college graduate). That included Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and Andersonville, but I didn't find any apartments that I fell in love with until I took a chance and viewed some lofts at 2626 W. Washington Blvd. Then it happened: Wham, this place was home. The downside? Well, it's in East Garfield Park.

I'm not naive. I know this is a rough area, but these lofts are brand new, incredibly priced, and very well secured. I know there won't be a lot of nightlife--I can live with that, but what I'm worried about is my walk to the El to the California Green station daily, which is two blocks from the apartment. I work in Lincoln Square, and will need to take the green to the brown line daily. I'm not taking my car when I move to the city, but my boyfriend will have his (which we can use for trips to the grocery store and what have you).

Anyway, I'm worried that I'm being seduced by these lofts to the detriment of my personal safety. Or I could just be being a paranoid suburbanite and maybe the area's not that bad. Any advice about this matter would be greatly, greatly, appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 AM

5,506 posts, read 11,112,143 times
I can't speak to the specifics of crime in that particular neighborhood and on that particular block. However, in general if a place is really cheap, there's usually a very good reason.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,444,390 times
Besides the apartment being in E. Garfield Park, which I personally would not be caught dead in ...well I would be if I were there, have you toured the place when the train is going by? If your apartment backs the train side there may be significant noise if it isn't a slow area which very well may explain the too good to be true price.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:27 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,444,390 times
Also, you will find this website very helpful. Plug in your prospective address(es) to see crime stats.

EveryBlock Chicago: Chicago local news and public records

Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 AM

11,971 posts, read 24,926,407 times
I would not recommend living in East Garfield Park if you plan on walking to the "L". It's one of the most crime-ridden neighborhoods in the city, and we're talking serious stuff.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 AM

Yes, I have toured the place. The surrounding area certainly isn't glamorous, but I've seen "worse" looking streets in Uptown. The cars parked on the street are modern and well-maintained (which I use as an indicator), and there are some nicer rehabbed homes on the main street (Washington). Go a block or two back, however, and it looks a little dicey.

As for the trains, it is a slow zone, so that doesn't bother me so much per se. One of the main selling points for the lofts is also its near sound-proofed construction. It is leed-certified green so it is constructed with thick walls and windows.

The lofts are really lovely, and I know full well why the price is so good. I'm just wondering whether literally this is a place where I could get robbed (or worse) on my way to and from the El, or if it simply is dicey but relatively safe for the level-headed.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
Yes, I have toured the place. The surrounding area certainly isn't glamorous, but I've seen "worse" looking streets in Uptown. The cars parked on the street are modern and well-maintained (which I use as an indicator), and there are some nicer rehabbed homes on the main street (Washington). Go a block or two back, however, and it looks a little dicey.

As for the trains, it is a slow zone, so that doesn't bother me so much per se. One of the main selling points for the lofts is also its near sound-proofed construction. It is leed-certified green so it is constructed with thick walls and windows.

The lofts are really lovely, and I know full well why the price is so good. I'm just wondering whether literally this is a place where I could get robbed (or worse) on my way to and from the El, or if it simply is dicey but relatively safe for level-headed.
Looks mean nothing. East Garfield Park has about five times the crime of Uptown, even though some of the housing stock looks "nice". It is literally one of the top five most violent neighborhoods in the city. Yes, getting robbed would be a MAJOR concern walking to the "L" there. Or worse.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM

1,464 posts, read 4,584,315 times
Ya it's pretty rough, but who knows maybe in a few years it will be better. If you do move into that area, maybe try to work with neighbors and the city in cleaning it up some. You can somewhat clean up the area by reporting burned out street lights and reporting yards that are a mess to 311 and have the city fix the lights (which will add some safety) and have abandonded buildings and properties cleaned up (which will entice more people to move into the area and businesses to come back), but you will have to keep your gaurd up. E. Garfield Park is pretty bad. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Check out the shade for East Garfield Park in this violent crime map. It is quite literally in the highest echolon of Chicago crime (worse than Englewood or Austin). Not a place I'd want to live! Did I say five times the violent crime of Uptown? More like ten. Uptown is actually one of the safest neighborhoods in the city, despite appearances and petty crime.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:44 AM

I'm aware of the map. I've used it quite thoroughly during my apartment search.

What I'd like to know, however, is how often "everyday" people are really affected by the crime in the area. Statistics can be deceiving, as most violent crimes are gang-related and most victims of such crimes are other gang-members and/or drug dealers.

I'd like to know the likelihood of crime happening to me, an ordinary person, just walking down the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago