Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:08 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times

Advertisements

Any good schools in Chicago that will take credit for an out of state AA?

My gf is getting her AA where I am at now, but we HATE it here and want to get out.

She wants to transfer probably after a year living in the city to get in state tuition, then continue with her BA.

Are there any good schools there that are going to accept her?

She is a French and International Affairs major btw... but, since it is lower level, essentially undeclared.

I am thinking maybe DePaul and UIC... but can't think of much else she woulud be able to get into... .

Help please!

Last edited by grapico; 02-25-2009 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 04:18 PM

188 posts, read 477,307 times
im in college and i have no clue what AA is

Old 02-25-2009, 04:20 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Any good schools in Chicago that will take credit for an out of state AA?

My gf is getting here AA where I am at now, but we HATE it here and want to get out.

She wants to transfer probably after a year living in the city to get in state tuition, then continue with her BA.

Are there any good schools there that are going to accept her?

She is a French and International Affairs major btw... but, since it is lower level, essentially undeclared.

I am thinking maybe DePaul and UIC... but can't think of much else she woulud be able to get into... .

Help please!
A few things:

What's AA?

Where are you two coming from

DePaul is Private and would cost a lot more. UIC and Northeastern are the two public 4 year colleges in Chicago.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:26 PM

Associate of Arts they don't have those there? I forgot about Northeastern, is it pretty reputable? How would these schools UIC and Northeastern compare to say Florida State University (this is where she was planning on going)

Old 02-25-2009, 05:10 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Quote:
Associate of Arts they don't have those there? I forgot about Northeastern, is it pretty reputable? How would these schools UIC and Northeastern compare to say Florida State University (this is where she was planning on going)
LOL FSU. Depaul and Northwestern are much better than FSU unless you are in FSU's film department which is quite reputable. FSU and UIC may be on par with each other or FSU slightly better.

As long as TCC (or whichever CC you are attending) is accredited you should be fine but whereever you choose to finish your bachelors they may have a few specific courses that they require for that major that TCC did not.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:20 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
Quote:
They do, I just didn't know what it stood for. Florida State is a better school than Northeastern Illinois.

If you're going to come to Chicago for a public school you want UIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
LOL FSU. Depaul and Northwestern are much better than FSU unless you are in FSU's film department which is quite reputable. FSU and UIC may be on par with each other or FSU slightly better.

As long as TCC (or whichever CC you are attending) is accredited you should be fine but whereever you choose to finish your bachelors they may have a few specific courses that they require for that major that TCC did not.
Florida State is a good college, better than you are giving it credit for.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:29 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,167 times
Hi Grapico. As the previous poster mentioned, the bulk of her credits should transfer without a problem as long as the school she now attends is accredited. Sometimes if the new college doesn't have the exact course she took, they will substitute a similar one and still issue credit. She may have a few credits that don't transfer. You won't know that until you narrow it down and contact the school.

I am sure you realize she is going to be paying a lot more here than she would at Florida State. This is because she will not be eligible for instate tuition (which you would have received at Florida State I imagine...if she is a Florida resident).

Northeastern is a state school that I would rate slightly below the University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC). She isn't going to get into Northwestern or the University of Chicago unless her grades are stellar and the cost will be much greater. DePaul is a good school (but private, thus more cost) but doesn't have as challenging entry requirements as Northwestern and the University of Chicago.

Is she planning on going to graduate school after getting her BA? I ask because I am thinking of the limitations of a French/Intl. Affairs type major and after doing a quick cost/benefit analysis in my mind. I just don't want her to get stuck with a huge amount of debt/loans with an appropriate reward in the end If grad school is in her future, that needs to be taken into consideration now when picking the school for her B.A.

Last edited by soulful; 02-25-2009 at 05:43 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post

Uhh... they have a lot more than film...
I said northeastern not northwestern, obviously northwestern is better.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Hi Grapico. As the previous poster mentioned, the bulk of her credits should transfer without a problem as long as the school she now attends is accredited. Sometimes if the new college doesn't have the exact course she took, they will substitute a similar one and still issue credit. She may have a few credits that don't transfer. You won't know that until you narrow it down and contact the school.

I am sure you realize she is going to be paying a lot more here than she would at Florida State. This is because she will not be eligible for instate tuition (which you would have received at Florida State I imagine...if she is a Florida resident).

Northeastern is a state school that I would rate slightly below the University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC). She isn't going to get into Northwestern or the University of Chicago unless her grades are stellar and the cost will be much greater. DePaul is a good school (but private, thus more cost) but doesn't have as challenging entry requirements as Northwestern and the University of Chicago.

Is she planning on going to graduate school after getting her BA? I ask because I am thinking of the limitations of a French/Intl. Affairs type major and after doing a quick cost/benefit analysis in my mind. I just don't want her to get stuck with a huge amount of debt/loans with an appropriate reward in the end If grad school is in her future, that needs to be taken into consideration now when picking the school for her B.A.
No she isn't going to be going to grad school... she initially just wanted to do an AA with a certificate program but now she wants to do otherwise.
She basically just wants to finish and get her BA so she can get an entry level job somewhere then go from there. Well she would take a year off and declare domicile in Illinois. I am assuming (maybe badly) that you will get in state tuition after a year there just working and not going to school?

She is also interested in majoring in political science... and think it might be a better major for her whether she intends on doing politics or not.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
As long as the school she went (goes?) to is regionally accredited, the credits should transfer to any full university she's admitted to. They might decide some classes don't meet their academic standards and she may have to fill in some gen ed gaps, but GENERALLY speaking, the credits should transfer. The key here is regional accreditation. Credits earned at a nationally accredited institution don't transfer so well.

Northeastern Illinois University's reputation is kind of "eh." Its market niche is continuing education types or older adults just starting college. I took a class there one semester and I'd say the average age of my classmates was around early 30s. It's a commuter school so it's not a traditional campus setting. It's not that it's a bad school or anything, but its admissions standards are quite relaxed and it's not as academically rigorous as a more "serious" university like UIC.

Another 4-year public school in the city is Chicago State, but its standards and reputation are about the same as NEIU's, maybe a tiny bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago