U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,790 times
my wife got one, 15 an hour, telemarketing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:31 PM

1,887 posts, read 2,144,098 times
Some federal agencies are hiring. Check usajobs.gov

Old 04-03-2009, 08:27 AM

75 posts, read 127,091 times
Being a former employee of careerbuilder.com in Atlanta - working as an enterprise account manager - your best bet is to look deeply @ your resume and see if your objective, skills and job description(s) contain the proper keywords and phrases standard in the industry. CB utilizes SEO (Search Engine Optimization) technology that allows HR directors, hiring managers, etc to find resumes based off of keywords, phrases within resumes. Also keep in mind that corporations that use CB's resume database are overwhelmed with applications for one position, so make sure you utilize other methods to stand out - create resume blog, utilize social networks like FB, Linkedin, Zoominfo, etc. The best advice I can give you is instead of looking @ Fortune 100, 500 and 1000 companies, also look for your SMEs (Small-to-Medium Sized Enterprises), Boutique Consulting Firms and other businesses that generally are too small to advertise their job postings on careerbuilder which can cost an employer almost $1k a month just to post jobs, retrieve resumes, etc...

CB, Monster, Hotjobs is like advertising in magazines and newspapers. People use these job boards for various reasons. CB is a leader in their innovative services, Monster is a brand leader (been around the longest) and hotjobs is cheaper. I personally would advice job seekers to use indeed.com, as it pulls from ALL job websites.

Also, another key here is to also market yourself with recruiters in the field you want to get into. Recruiters are sales professionals and need to make the commission off of your placement as bad you need a job. Not all staffing agencies do temp work - many do one-time placement consulting.

I cannot stress how important a resume is. Corporate Recruiters and Hiring Managers LOATHE resumes that are longer than a page, too wordy and when you usually upload your resume to CB or Monster - it can easily get distorted.

Also -- I would look @ non-profit organizations, schools, and other public-based industries that need the same talent that you would find in the private sector. Also -- I would suggest using resume distribution lists, i.e., Ruthie's List, etc.

Last edited by cxdurden; 04-03-2009 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 AM

Trust me - there are jobs - its just that you need to have a sales-oriented mindset. You need to cold call companies and their hiring departments, perform informational interviews (where you just talk to people and introduce yourself in case any openings may occur in the future), etc...

But then again - MOST people are not aggressive, never cranked out 100+ calls in their life and do not have the wit to be "innovative" when it comes to their resume or job search strategies...

Some people lie -- and a good lie is just as good as the truth.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:56 PM

3,674 posts, read 4,643,091 times
That's extremely irresponsible advice. Employers are checking references more closely than ever. NEVER lie to an employer; it can come back years later to haunt you.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:51 AM

188 posts, read 315,055 times
Id have to agree with eureka on that statement. That might get you the job but you are going to be in for a long day if they find out

Old 04-04-2009, 11:04 AM

454 posts, read 854,653 times
Outright bogus work histories on resumes are becoming an epidemic.
I have a friend who owns a small company in the north burbs- he used to get 20-30 apps for a position, now he's getting 300, 400, 500, 600 resumes for that same position. The problem is, people are so desperate for a paycheck that they're lying their asses off to get hired, far more than before.
He claims that he used to see the typical exaggerations or "fluff ups" but now, he's seeing people completely fabricating work histories, going so far as to create elaborate rouses involving websites they build to create an illusory past emplpoyer and using prepaid cel phones with friends of the applicant tasked to answer with a particular company name and obviously, provide him with fictitious work history information...

He used to be very casual with ref checks (basic verification and that's about it) but now, they've become far more in-depth.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:01 PM

How further can you do a background check? Pull a D&B Report? That's impossible. Not all companies are listed on D&B. Maybe smaller companies can afford to do that type of background checking, but when you are talking about large companies that generally outsource background check services - you pretty much have a $15/hr customer service rep doing reference checks and employment verifications.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Reverse phone # look up? There is no way in hell one can seriously do an intense background check unless you are doing some sort of security clearance. What if you work for a transportation broker? I mean -- like I said, after a while - you can only go so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago