U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:45 PM

179 posts, read 321,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
That's exactly right. Nobody forces people to go to a restaurant. If you don't want to go to a smoke filled restaurant, don't go to a smoke filled restaurant. Leave it up to the owner to decide though.
Yeah sure, if you don't like smokers, just stay at home
Nobody forces smokers to go to smoke-free restaurants neither.

Owners of bars, clubs etc. had their opporunity to make decisions for decades. However virtually everyone decided to run smoke-filled establishments even though all there's a substantial (and growing) number of people who dislike the putrid smell. So obviously the market mechanisms didn't really work out in that regard.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,705,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
So obviously the market mechanisms didn't really work out in that regard.

Well give them a chance to work now. I've no beef with restaurants being smoking free but taverns should be free to choose. What harm would a regular guy tavern that had smoking do you?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:59 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,502,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yes, which leads me to think that anti-smoking laws have less to do with health than with giving nosey parkers and finger-wagging old schoolmarms something to feel superior about and beat people over the head with. A modern form of Puritanism.

As for the stink, well at one time almost everybody stank. And there's many a day I came home from a hot day working in the steelmills and powerhouses stinking and a good honest stink it was. Not stinking shouldn't have the force of law behind it.

As, I said if people want to smoke, go ahead. Hell, I've been lectured by vegetarian smokers about how unhealthy eating meat was. I just hated having to avoid a good restaurant, or seeing a band at a bar because the place was so filled with cigarette smoke it could choke a horse. (As far as seeing a band at a bar, I would definitely still go, I just made sure I had plenty of Hall's cough drops on hand) Yes, probably some smokers did stop going to bars & restaurants because of the ban, but I do tend to see a gaggle of smokers outside of most bars on busy nights, so I don't think it was all that many. Plus they've probably picked up some non-smokers who wouldn't have gone before.

As far as comparing bars/restaurants to steel mills, again it's apples and oranges. How many people go to steel mills for entertainment?

Old 03-04-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
As, I said if people want to smoke, go ahead. Hell, I've been lectured by vegetarian smokers about how unhealthy eating meat was. I just hated having to avoid a good restaurant, or seeing a band at a bar because the place was so filled with cigarette smoke it could choke a horse. (As far as seeing a band at a bar, I would definitely still go, I just made sure I had plenty of Hall's cough drops on hand) Yes, probably some smokers did stop going to bars & restaurants because of the ban, but I do tend to see a gaggle of smokers outside of most bars on busy nights, so I don't think it was all that many. Plus they've probably picked up some non-smokers who wouldn't have gone before.

As far as comparing bars/restaurants to steel mills, again it's apples and oranges. How many people go to steel mills for entertainment?

You make some good points. I'm just talking about a quiet place to relax, have a couple of drinks, shoot the bull and smoke a cigar after the union meeting. If the Bridgeport Inn were to have smoking I doubt many of the patrons would care. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't been there for awhile.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 PM

1,823 posts, read 1,924,648 times
I don't know about unfree, but definitely cold.

It's 55 in Des Moines right now and possibly going to break 60 tomorrow!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:19 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,616,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You make some good points. I'm just talking about a quiet place to relax, have a couple of drinks, shoot the bull and smoke a cigar after the union meeting. If the Bridgeport Inn were to have smoking I doubt many of the patrons would care. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't been there for awhile.
I like the smell of cigars

Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,757,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I couldn't care less about bar owners losing this "freedom". The smoking ban is wonderful, and it will never be repealed.
Hallelujah!

BTW, this is a horrible argument about the "freedom" of bar owners. If they should be able to run their bars as they see fit, then shouldn't they be allowed to kick out people of different races/kick out homosexuals/have prostitutes, etc? We have all sorts of laws about what business owners can and can't do. For instance, they also can't let 20 year olds drink because it would increase their business.

And, why do we find a need to bring up the smoking debate for the one zillionth time on yet another thread?

Old 03-04-2009, 02:23 PM

38 posts, read 47,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
You're right, Shreveport is on the up-and-up. My parents and most of my old college buddies are still there, so I make it back a couple times a year. There is now a legitimate film industry there; if you want to work on the production/crew side of film making, you can do that in Shreveport. And like I still say, I have played golf from Destin to Vancouver and Austin to New York, and I still say that Shreveport has the best golf courses anywhere (combining factors like weather, price, tranquility, and pace of play).
Okay, not to sound rude but i actually grew up about 70 miles from Shreveport in Texarkana. But Shreveport can be a really scary city to be in, they've tried and tried to clean it up but for the most part the city has suffered because of the gambling laws and the umm....unsavory....businesses. Don't get me wrong, i'll be the first to admit that Iíve spent many nights partying it up in Shreveport simply because if you want to gamble that's where you go, and i have some friends that are actually involved in the film industry.
However, one thing is true - Texas and Louisiana take "right to bear arms" to a whole other level. You now don't even have to have a concealed handgun license to walk around with one, simply be walking to your car at all times.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,616,989 times
Um I am currently living in ****PORT

and I can tell you it is a dump
I hate it here.
This place sucks bad

Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
And, why do we find a need to bring up the smoking debate for the one zillionth time on yet another thread?

Because it amuses us?

Last edited by Irishtom29; 03-04-2009 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago