Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times

Advertisements

I always thought the Sears Tower was siilly. It just gets really skinny and reaches for the record like a guy pulling his penis down before swaggering through a lockerroom. There doesn't seem to be any real economic demand for it.

I think the U.S. has an opportunity like Europe to stop proving to the world that it's big and tough and start investinig in quality of life.
Look at DC - 13 story height restrictions and one of the vibrant cities in the country.

On a deeper level, I think we have an opportunity to turn our growth inward rather than just always focusing on the physical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Now we just build the world's tallest building for other people. The Burj Dubai, currently the tallest man-made structure on the planet, was designed by the Chicago office of architecture and engineering firm Skidmore Owings and Merrill. All Dubai did was pay for it.
Yeah, and if we wanted to, our military could easily destroy it too!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I always thought the Sears Tower was siilly. It just gets really skinny and reaches for the record like a guy pulling his penis down before swaggering through a lockerroom. There doesn't seem to be any real economic demand for it.
Huh? The Sears Tower is pretty fricking hulking, even at the top. You want to talk about a frivolous taper, look at the Burj Dubai. The upper floors arent even occupiable..its all for show.

No economic demand? What are you on? Theres tons of economic demand for Class A office space in Chicago. The Sears Tower problem is its floorplates are outdated, as are its technological/energy capabilities. Once those are updated it should have no problem brining back tenants.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:41 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Huh? The Sears Tower is pretty fricking hulking, even at the top. You want to talk about a frivolous taper, look at the Burj Dubai. The upper floors arent even occupiable..its all for show.

No economic demand? What are you on? Theres tons of economic demand for Class A office space in Chicago. The Sears Tower problem is its floorplates are outdated, as are its technological/energy capabilities. Once those are updated it should have no problem brining back tenants.
Even in this current Depression, the Loop has lower vacancy rates than suburban office parks. There are stories every few weeks of companies relocating from the suburbs to the Loop.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:44 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
And it's a **** ugly building in a city that has no industry to sustain the grid.

Dubai was a hideous mistake; we already have one Disneyland, thank you.
Thanks. I've worked on multiple projects in Dubai. Not any more, though!

Oh, I agree, It's a freak show of a place that has "boom and bust" written all over it.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:35 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I always thought the Sears Tower was siilly. It just gets really skinny and reaches ...
Oh shut up.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:21 PM

605 posts, read 1,842,956 times
i hope it will get built but i doubt it.
It would be so great for the skyline, but it's too residential and expensive. The only people who would buy a 700k condo would be rich guys who come here for business and dont want a hotel or rich people in their early 20s.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:30 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
I heard it was being funded once again.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:45 PM

308 posts, read 757,636 times
I read a story the other day (it might be incredibly old news so I'm sorry) that Ty Warner, of Beanie Baby fame, purchased the penthouse of the Spire for $40 million dollars. Again, sorry if it's really old and I don't know if it happened when the project was in jeopardy or not, but it could be a good sign that it might get underway again?

Old 03-27-2009, 06:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I heard it was being funded once again.
Some of the workers unions (construction/plumbing, etc) are in talks to put their money behind it to get it started again and keep them employed through 2011 but it would literally be their money, as in 401K or equivalent so if I were them I would want some serious guarantees of return compensation before throwing my future away on a pipe dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago