U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-07-2009, 01:15 AM
 
Location: Texas
61 posts, read 90,541 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Weve lost focus, Go back and read the heading on this post! I personally dont think that those stranded in a dwindling neighborhood care about a power bar. Much of the obesity is inherant and eating patterns havent changed throughout three generations or more. How many times do you see a thin mother walking two obese children to the bus stop? Obese parents make for obese children. It doesn't matter how many high end grocery stores you put on a street, its the contents of the grocery basket that have to be examined. I do all the shopping for this family and am forever amazed at what I see in obese patrons baskets. I could stand behind a curtain and examine the baskets contents then emerge and match the shopper to the basket just by looking at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2009, 01:16 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,562 posts, read 8,995,595 times
Reputation: 5940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You can think whatever you want.A larger majority of protein bars are far more healthier than cheeseburgers.
Most protein bars are not unhealthy by your definition either.

An average protein bar is only SLIGHTLY less unhealthy than a Cheeseburger?

Are you kidding yourself?
provide some nutritional facts and let's see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 13,285,762 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
provide some nutritional facts and let's see
Ummm you made the claim that protein bars are only a little less unhealthy than cheeseburgers. Perhaps you need to show the stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 01:20 AM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 13,285,762 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgrimes View Post
Weve lost focus, Go back and read the heading on this post! I personally dont think that those stranded in a dwindling neighborhood care about a power bar...
Maybe you need to read every page of this thread instead of accusing the last couple posters of being the ones that got this thread out of focus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,562 posts, read 8,995,595 times
Reputation: 5940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Ummm you made the claim that protein bars are only a little less unhealthy than cheeseburgers. Perhaps you need to show the stats.

you're the one answering that 2 protein bars are healthy, but I'll play along...

let's see, I've seen some bars w/ a sugar content of 15+ grams. this is, by no stretch of any definition "healthy". Froot Loops has less sugar per serving. a half cup serving of BJ Cherry Garcia Ice cream has 10 extra calories and less sugar than some Clif bars. a McDonald's apple pie has less sugar than some protein bars. but going back to burgers, a McDonald's cheeseburger has 300 calories but less sugar; a typical Clif bar has 240 calories

it's the sugar content of these bars that makes than unhealthy. again, glorified candy bars. yeah, burgers have more fat, but sugar isn't any healthier and adds on the pounds too

to try to bring this back to the original point, there is a lack of education of what's healthy, and what isn't. people get fooled in thinking they're doing good in buying a salad from McDonalds when in fact the salads can be just as caloric as their burgers. lots of stuff appears healthy that isn't (those Eat This, Not That books can be real eye openers when it comes to these deceptive foods)

Last edited by eevee; 03-07-2009 at 01:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 13,285,762 times
Reputation: 1761
Atkins Advantage Bars by Atkins (Cookie Dough flavor in this example):

Supplement Facts

Serving Size: 1 bar

Amount Per Serving:

Calories 210
Fat Cal. 80

Total Fat 9g
Saturated Fat 3g
Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 150mg
Potassium 35mg

Total Carbohydrate 17g
Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugars 0g
Protein 17g

Biotin 25%
Calcium 30%
Chromium 15%
Folic Acid 25%
Iron 15%
Magnesium 20%
Niacin 25%
Pantothenic Acid 25%
Phosphorus 25%
Selenium 25%
Vitamin A 25%
Vitamin B-1 25%
Vitamin B2 25%
Vitamin B12 25%
Vitamin B6 25%
Vitamin C 25%
Vitamin E 25%
Vitamin K 25%
Zinc 25%

Buy Atkins Advantage Bars nutritional information by Atkins at NutritionDiscounters.com (http://www.nutritiondiscounters.com/Atkins_Advantage_Bars_p/advantagebars.htm - broken link)

================================================== ==========================

McDonald's Double Cheeseburger

Amount Per Serving
Calories
490
Calories from Fat
234
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
26.0g
40%
Saturated Fat
12.0g
60%
Cholesterol
85mg
28%
Sodium
1220mg
51%
Total Carbohydrates
38.0g
13%
Dietary Fiber
2.0g
8%
Sugars
8.0g
Protein
25.0g"

Calories in McDonald's Double Cheeseburger

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 01:40 AM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 13,285,762 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
you're the one answering that 2 protein bars are healthy, but I'll play along...

...let's see, I've seen some bars w/ a sugar content of 15+ grams. this is, by no stretch of any definition "healthy". Froot Loops has less sugar per serving. a half cup serving of BJ Cherry Garcia Ice cream has 10 extra calories and less sugar than some Clif bars. a McDonald's apple pie has less sugar than some protein bars. but going back to burgers, a McDonald's cheeseburger has 300 calories but less sugar; a typical Clif bar has 240 calories..

...it's the sugar content of these bars that makes than unhealthy. again, glorified candy bars. yeah, burgers have more fat, but sugar isn't any healthier and adds on the pounds too...
Yeah some "bars" (protein and energy) are crap. I was specifically talking about protein bars (vs. double cheesburgers), not the generic term energy or "sports" bars in which even Mars has their own Snickers version of.

Keep backpedaling and distorting my first statement if it makes you feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 01:41 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,562 posts, read 8,995,595 times
Reputation: 5940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Atkins Advantage Bars by Atkins (Cookie Dough flavor in this example):

Supplement Facts

Serving Size: 1 bar

Amount Per Serving:

Calories 210
Fat Cal. 80

Total Fat 9g
Saturated Fat 3g
Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 150mg
Potassium 35mg

Total Carbohydrate 17g
Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugars 0g
Protein 17g

Biotin 25%
Calcium 30%
Chromium 15%
Folic Acid 25%
Iron 15%
Magnesium 20%
Niacin 25%
Pantothenic Acid 25%
Phosphorus 25%
Selenium 25%
Vitamin A 25%
Vitamin B-1 25%
Vitamin B2 25%
Vitamin B12 25%
Vitamin B6 25%
Vitamin C 25%
Vitamin E 25%
Vitamin K 25%
Zinc 25%

Buy Atkins Advantage Bars nutritional information by Atkins at NutritionDiscounters.com (http://www.nutritiondiscounters.com/Atkins_Advantage_Bars_p/advantagebars.htm - broken link)

================================================== ==========================

McDonald's Double Cheeseburger

Amount Per Serving
Calories
490
Calories from Fat
234
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
26.0g
40%
Saturated Fat
12.0g
60%
Cholesterol
85mg
28%
Sodium
1220mg
51%
Total Carbohydrates
38.0g
13%
Dietary Fiber
2.0g
8%
Sugars
8.0g
Protein
25.0g"

Calories in McDonald's Double Cheeseburger

.

GRAND, you've found ONE bar! is it $1 (remember the original question)? I've so far found several that don't meet my definition of "healthy" given their sugar content

alas, that doesn't count per the original question: 15 bars for $29.88 gives you almost $2 per bar. you stated you can get 2 protein bars for $2 and they'd be "healthier".

try again, for now, I must go to bed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 01:47 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,562 posts, read 8,995,595 times
Reputation: 5940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah some "bars" (protein and energy) are crap. I was specifically talking about protein bars (vs. double cheesburgers), not the generic term energy or "sports" bars in which even Mars has their own Snickers version of.

Keep backpedaling and distorting my first statement if it makes you feel better.
sigh, now we're going to differentiate between "energy" bars and "protein" bars?

again, I'm just debating you on what you so boldly stated, and you were wrong, unless you can find a $1 protein bar w/ low enough sugar to be deemed healthy by most people. good night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 01:49 AM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 13,285,762 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
GRAND, you've found ONE bar! is it $1 (remember the original question)? I've so far found several that don't meet my definition of "healthy" given their sugar content

alas, that doesn't count per the original question: 15 bars for $29.88 gives you almost $2 per bar. you stated you can get 2 protein bars for $2 and they'd be "healthier".

try again, for now, I must go to bed
Oh quit nitpicking and distorting.

I never said every protein bar was more healthy than a double cheeseburger. God you don't want to lose this argument do you, even though you lost as soon as you challenged my original statement.

The site I picked the nutritional stats off of is selling the bars for the price you mentioned. Walk into Dominick's,Jewel,CVS,Walgreen's,etc any day of the week and they have comparable bars to the one I mentioned on sale for a buck or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top