U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-17-2010, 12:27 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,519,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Lets stay on topic fast food is really a non- issue here, you can't use link at McDonald's
I'm not sure fast food truly is a non-issue.

I shopped at Cub Foods (Elston/Logan) for almost its entire ~20 year lifespan, and there were always aisles with industrial strength sized containers of Mexican food staples - these folks knew how to stretch a dollar.

But a grocery store needing to compete with McDonald's heavily subsidized foods, in an area where you have a higher-than-usual % of single moms raising kids is going to be at a disadvantage. A single mom may have chosen her mate poorly, but working FT and raising kids can make fast food on your way home from work very appealing - my parents were divorced, and although my mom cooked most of the time, she certainly had no problem picking up food when she had to stay late or had schedule difficulties.

BTW - yes, hamburgers, french fries/potatoes, and the corn syrup which keeps soda cheaper than water are all subsidized. So a larger topic related to this question is "Why are we taxpayers subsidizing agrobusiness in order to feed ourselves less healthy foods?"

I guarantee you if you took the subsidies out of agrobusiness, and also made them responsible for the environmental damage their fertilizers and pesticides do (see: Gulf of Mexico dead zones), you'd see some fast food prices adjust upwards very quickly, and suddenly preparing rice and beans would look a whole lot better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:31 PM

2,358 posts, read 4,973,616 times
Drover,

I have done work with Petes. The Pulaski store is 2 years out. They will open Madison/Western next year. Lots of foreclosures in Shoemaker Lofts next door, so it may be even longer til they open Pulaski/Belmont.

Noid,

You can sell food stamps for cash and buy McDonalds (or worse things) as many do in poorer neighborhoods.

My mother was once approached by a guy who just won 500 lottery ticket. He offered to sell it to her for 400 so she could cash it. She refused.

He was afraid that they would cut his govt aid if they found out about the winning ticket. Similar type behavior goes on with food stamps, which I have seen first-hand as former tenants of mine sold their food stamps for cash.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 PM

3,221 posts, read 6,012,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I'm not sure fast food truly is a non-issue.

I shopped at Cub Foods (Elston/Logan) for almost its entire ~20 year lifespan, and there were always aisles with industrial strength sized containers of Mexican food staples - these folks knew how to stretch a dollar.

But a grocery store needing to compete with McDonald's heavily subsidized foods, in an area where you have a higher-than-usual % of single moms raising kids is going to be at a disadvantage. A single mom may have chosen her mate poorly, but working FT and raising kids can make fast food on your way home from work very appealing - my parents were divorced, and although my mom cooked most of the time, she certainly had no problem picking up food when she had to stay late or had schedule difficulties.

BTW - yes, hamburgers, french fries/potatoes, and the corn syrup which keeps soda cheaper than water are all subsidized. So a larger topic related to this question is "Why are we taxpayers subsidizing agrobusiness in order to feed ourselves less healthy foods?"

I guarantee you if you took the subsidies out of agrobusiness, and also made them responsible for the environmental damage their fertilizers and pesticides do (see: Gulf of Mexico dead zones), you'd see some fast food prices adjust upwards very quickly, and suddenly preparing rice and beans would look a whole lot better.
Cant say that I don't agree with you, but Mickey D's is everywhere thus making it cheap/ unhealthy eats for everyone not just for people in the poorer communities. It is fact that the poor even when shopping at grocery stores buy items that are unhealthy so I guess where they get their nutrition really doesn't matter.

Last edited by noid_1985; 03-17-2010 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 PM

3,221 posts, read 6,012,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Noid,

You can sell food stamps for cash and buy McDonalds (or worse things) as many do in poorer neighborhoods.

My mother was once approached by a guy who just won 500 lottery ticket. He offered to sell it to her for 400 so she could cash it. She refused.

He was afraid that they would cut his govt aid if they found out about the winning ticket. Similar type behavior goes on with food stamps, which I have seen first-hand as former tenants of mine sold their food stamps for cash.
I agree with you too, but people who sell their link normally have another agenda- drugs, alcohol, etc... not to have $200 worth of McDonald's money

Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Cant say that I don't agree with you, but Mickey D's is everywhere thus making it cheap/ unhealthy eats for everyone not just for people in the poorer communities. It is fact that the poor even when shopping at grocery stores buy items that are unhealthy so I guess where they get their nutrition really doesn't matter.
I'm suggesting the nutrition isn't the issue, it's that poor people (working poor, anyway) are often pressed for time. It's a bit of a commonly held delusion that poor people just have nothing but time on their hands - the unemployed may, but you have to work a lot of hours and OT these days just to keep a roof over your head.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:12 PM

947 posts, read 1,359,593 times
Fats and starches give you that full feeling faster. Also amazingly comforting and addictive.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Fats and starches give you that full feeling faster. Also amazingly comforting and addictive.
true - but otoh, so is exercise, it just takes a little more energy & self-discipline to get a routine in place.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:32 PM

anyone see this?

The Hipster Food Stamp Panic of 2010 | The Blog | Chicago Reader

Old 03-23-2010, 02:00 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,245,473 times
Just read the article. The real question, I think, is why don't the 'traditional poor' (as opposed to the hipster, creative-class New Poor) buy heirloom produce with their food stamps?

Old 03-23-2010, 03:41 PM

2,184 posts, read 4,212,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Just read the article. The real question, I think, is why don't the 'traditional poor' (as opposed to the hipster, creative-class New Poor) buy heirloom produce with their food stamps?
Because it's more tasty and gratifying to buy a bag of Flamin' Hot Cheetos and a liter of grape pop. Also, this sort of "diet" is pretty well engrained in some circles.

I found myself wishing that health care reform bill had addressed this to some degree. I was a little disappointed in that actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago