U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:46 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,728,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Because it's more tasty and gratifying to buy a bag of Flamin' Hot Cheetos and a liter of grape pop. Also, this sort of "diet" is pretty well engrained in some circles.

I found myself wishing that health care reform bill had addressed this to some degree. I was a little disappointed in that actually.
I don't find that appetizing at all eww
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 PM

5,209 posts, read 2,774,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Why do all of the grocery stores move out once demographics change and the financial class of people is lowered? Poor people become so obese and overweight because all they have is fast food joints around them combined with zero grocery stores, in close proximity, to purchase actual nutritionally rich foods. So, why can't grocery stores survive in poor neighborhoods? Food stamps are just as good as money (to the grocery store) so that can't be the reason. Is theft the main issue?
If you were a business owner, would you locate where the low class live? I wouldn't. I would keep a business in an area where the locals appreciate the service. People in the hood have no appreciation for anything. Anything put near them is
destroyed or ruined in time.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 PM

22 posts, read 74,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
If you were a business owner, would you locate where the low class live? I wouldn't. I would keep a business in an area where the locals appreciate the service. People in the hood have no appreciation for anything. Anything put near them is
destroyed or ruined in time.
I used to live in Hyde Park and there were only 3 grocery stores owned by the same co-op. Ridiculously high prices and poorly managed I think it changed ownership recently after they went bankrupt. They were charging prices like $5 for a 12pk of soda.

I think it has something to do with the fact that there is not a lot of demand for standard grocery items in the 'hood. Instead the needs can be met by drugstores, fast food places and corner stores.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
It really simple supply and demand economics.
And please don't blame obesity on anything or anyone but the individual. No one points a gun to your head and makes you walk into McDonalds. Otherwise, there should be another person pointing a gun at your head and making you get out of bed a little earlier so you can exercise.

There's something called personal responsibility that many people in the country don't want to recognize. It's one of the, if not the primary reason that poor folks stay poor and that many families are stuck in a revolving door cycle of unemployment, no education, multiple children from different fathers, gang/drug activity and incarceration.
+1 Blue Ribbon. I love it.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I'm guessing your first point is that there is a demand for better supermarkets in the poor areas? Well, the other side of that is the supply of money to support that demand. I sincerely hope you're not questioning the free market. Otherwise, you might at well move to a communist country.
As for nutrition, cooking, etc and who taught me? Yes, 2 parent, married, educated, employed. This is the chicken and the egg argument and my revolving door comment. Everything you refer back to has to do with people taking responsibility for their actions and not relying on the government to take care of you.
I'll just use the black community as an example, but there seems to be a serious cultural problem of children born out of wedlock to young mothers. Usually, these woman have multiple kids from different men. They drop out of school, get on welfare and their kids grow up to do the same thing their mom did (get prego, drop out, no job, repeat). A sad majority of these kids end up with disciplinary problems, sell drugs, join gangs, go to jail, etc.
No, if you want to blame that on a lack of educational, I'll call your bluff.
Damn Im not allowed 1+ you anymore, your post are awesomeness!

Old 05-23-2010, 06:00 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,651,726 times
I dispute the premise and maintain that there are plenty of grocery stores all over the poor neighborhoods (on the south side at least).

Old 05-23-2010, 07:31 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,728,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I dispute the premise and maintain that there are plenty of grocery stores all over the poor neighborhoods (on the south side at least).
I must agree. Some of them may be independent (mom and pop etc.) but they are still grocery stores!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:11 PM

35,926 posts, read 54,721,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp2290 View Post
if your entire life's philosophy is centered around money or business i truly feel sorry for you. I hope your money makes up for your empty life and deep psychological problems.

But yeah, free market! Supply and demand! It's not as if the wealth would be more concentrated then ever before, or that the work done towards civil rights, women's rights, or worker's rights that has been done in the past 100 years would be reversed under total wild west capitalism . No siree! I can't wait until wal mart runs chicago!!
". . . AND THAT'S WHY THERE'S NO GROCERY STORES IN CHICAGO'S POOR NEIGHBORHOODS!"

Old 05-24-2010, 07:17 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,789,972 times
I was at Walgreens at Madison and Western on Saturdat getting the girlfriend makeup on our way to downtown (expressway was backed up).

While we were there I observed 6 people buy groceries (they have expanded grocery section due to no competition in the area) and everyone paid with their Link card. We were the only ones using our money. We did see another mixed couple (white and asian, we are white/mexican) come in use the ATM and leave. We followed their Audi downtown afterwards.

You simply do not have grocery stores in these areas due to high crime. It isn't worth it for owners to operate. Also, the stuff you are selling is mostly processed like Food 4 Less, most Aldis. You do have grocery stores and convenience stores in poor areas, just not grocery stores with nicer stuff. The market in these areas simply cannot support the purchase of 15 dollar steak.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:35 AM

1,042 posts, read 622,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I was at Walgreens at Madison and Western on Saturdat getting the girlfriend makeup on our way to downtown (expressway was backed up).

While we were there I observed 6 people buy groceries (they have expanded grocery section due to no competition in the area) and everyone paid with their Link card. We were the only ones using our money. We did see another mixed couple (white and asian, we are white/mexican) come in use the ATM and leave. We followed their Audi downtown afterwards.

You simply do not have grocery stores in these areas due to high crime. It isn't worth it for owners to operate. Also, the stuff you are selling is mostly processed like Food 4 Less, most Aldis. You do have grocery stores and convenience stores in poor areas, just not grocery stores with nicer stuff. The market in these areas simply cannot support the purchase of 15 dollar steak.
Is a Pete's Market slated to open next year on that same corner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago