Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 10,584 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
I am a slightly older (mid 40's) professional female in need help finding safe affordable rental areas that are pet friendly (I have a 7 year old 125 lb. shepherd mix). I work in the Streeterville area, own an older car but use public transportation the majority of the time, and net about 35K but am not able to buy at this time. I am needing to move from an apartment in the South Loop area that I shared with a now ex boyfriend in the early summer.
Can anyone suggest a safe, public transportation accessible,large pet friendly & affordable neighborhood? I really don't want to live, no offense meant, in a neighborhood of 20 year olds, been there, done that.
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Also, I'm not the most knowledgable person of the Chicago neighborhoods since I've only lived in the city for 2 years and only in the south loop. I've checked Craigslist but am not finding too many large dog friendly areas and haven't a clue how safe the ones that I've found are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 04:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclecticlk View Post
Greetings,
I am a slightly older (mid 40's) professional female in need help finding safe affordable rental areas that are pet friendly (I have a 7 year old 125 lb. shepherd mix). I work in the Streeterville area, own an older car but use public transportation the majority of the time, and net about 35K but am not able to buy at this time. I am needing to move from an apartment in the South Loop area that I shared with a now ex boyfriend in the early summer.
Can anyone suggest a safe, public transportation accessible,large pet friendly & affordable neighborhood? I really don't want to live, no offense meant, in a neighborhood of 20 year olds, been there, done that.
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Also, I'm not the most knowledgable person of the Chicago neighborhoods since I've only lived in the city for 2 years and only in the south loop. I've checked Craigslist but am not finding too many large dog friendly areas and haven't a clue how safe the ones that I've found are.
You can get a lot for your money and be in a safe area in Irving/Old Irving Park. It's close to the brown line and you should have no problem with a large dog as most of the two and three flats have backyards.

If you want a bit more in the way of nightlife and restaurants I would recommend North Center or Lincoln Square but they will be a bit more expensive and you may or may not get a backyard.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:36 PM

38 posts, read 73,210 times
I just recently rented - i'm in my late 20's but i was looking for a quiet place, not too small, and on a limited budget, due to the fact i'm paying a mortgage in Texas and rent in Chicago - Not pretty on the pocket book. I also have a do, not a big one luckly, but i struggled and struggled finding a place, and dealing with the bogus ads on Craigslist for weeks. Finally i broke down and went to an apartment locator - okay i went to 4 different ones, but one of them had me a place, photos emailed to me ( i was doing this sight unseen), and a lease within 48 hours.

now, I will actually be in the city next week, so i might be back on here bashing the locators since i still haven't seen the place, however, I honestly think they did me right. GOOD LUCK

Old 03-04-2009, 04:53 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
West Lakeview is also a good place. There's a dog park in Hamlin Park and you can jump on the Belmont bus over to the Belmont el. It's cheaper and tends to be a bit older than the 20's crowd.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Thanks...good advice so far~

Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
What is your space requirement and price range?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:31 PM

I would ideally like to spend no more than 1400 on rent and most utilities so it depends on what is included in the "rent". Also, I would like a one bedroom or at least a convertible. My ideal locations would be the Streeterville, Gold Coast or Lakeview areas but there's not much grass for the dog, there's little or no parking and the units are smaller. That is why I am seeking neighborhood information here.
Thanks

Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
THere's a lot of dog owners in Lincoln Square. I havea friend in a similar situation to you - she's lived there for ages.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:48 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,600 times
Shoreline Park Condos in Uptown.

On Craigslist: Enjoy the city life available end of March (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/1076123783.html - broken link)
General Search: classifieds - craigslist

1bd ranges from $950-$1200 or so, you can also find some that have all utilities included (save for Cable/Internet)... It's a dog-friendly building, management kinda stinks though. But across the street is a park (I think it's Lincoln Park) and Puptown Dog Park. Residents range from 20's-40's I'd say, with the occasional senior citizen. As far other dogs... anywhere from Chihuahuas to other German Shepards... Direct neighbors are a hit or miss on their niceness though. If your dog barks a lot, expect to get complaints (and you may get fined after a couple warnings by management).

Hope this helps.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
What in a yellow belly frog's name is up with this?:

"Shoreline Park is located in the popular Edgewater and Uptown neighborhoods of Chicago. In 2005 Details magazine named the Uptown neighborhood of Chicago as one of the ten hottest neighborhoods in the United States, declaring Uptown as “the new Lincoln Park.”"

Shoreline Park Condominiums - Home Page

*I edited my post to avoid pissing off our new poster.*

Last edited by Avengerfire; 03-15-2009 at 08:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago