U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2009, 07:32 PM

308 posts, read 477,697 times

Advertisements

Drag racing? Monster truck rallies? Nascar enthusiasts? That makes you manly? Up here in the civilized areas, I think that makes you somewhat "hickish". Sorry if I offended anyone...but come on...

Old 03-05-2009, 07:47 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,195,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
Drag racing? Monster truck rallies? Nascar enthusiasts? That makes you manly? Up here in the civilized areas, I think that makes you somewhat "hickish". Sorry if I offended anyone...but come on...
Actually, it sounds like hell on earth... But hey, that's just me.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Actually, it sounds like hell on earth... But hey, that's just me.
Well, same thing. I mean, I don't want to be stereotypical (okay maybe I do) but if manly means drag racing and NASCAR, than I'm okay with whatever publication wrote this to say I'm not manly. I mean, those areas probably still have outhouses, bad dental hygiene, and think the mullet is cool, so fine with me.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 PM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 538,782 times
hmm manly city eh?
Does inbreeding and burning crosses with pointy white hats count toward those manliness points?
I'm just fine in Chicago with hundreds of thousands of HOT single women to choose from
How are those large KFC raised women down in Nashville?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 PM

4,793 posts, read 8,459,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANDICEKAY View Post
DANG IT JESSE!!! I mean the importance of Chicago to be a manly city is so high on my priorities i can not believe you could do that!! I'm a southern girl, i like the manly man - go hunting or fishing and spit every once in a while - come on!!
Don't worry; I go both ways! We can be straight, pretend lesbians, or do role reversal!

I do have a guy mode where I weight lift a little so I can do a 3 foot high bmx bike bunnyhops; I raced twice in a road bike race [Downer's Grove], and I have a "dude" collection of 8 bmx, 7 road, and 2 mtn bikes! I look good enough as a guy to attract pretty enough women too!

I only dig women, not men... but I'll do ANYTHING with a chick!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:33 PM

19,475 posts, read 50,742,097 times
Wait, wait, wait... so if you have some sports teams with no history that play in lame stadiums (not even MLB or NBA either), guys who croon with fake country accents in every other building in town, people who run scared at the first sight of snow, etc, etc, are "manly"?

Dumbest. List. Ever.

I wonder what the Nashville folks are thinking right now. I can see them puffing out their waxed chests right now.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 PM

19,475 posts, read 50,742,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
Well, same thing. I mean, I don't want to be stereotypical (okay maybe I do) but if manly means drag racing and NASCAR, than I'm okay with whatever publication wrote this to say I'm not manly. I mean, those areas probably still have outhouses, bad dental hygiene, and think the mullet is cool, so fine with me.
We have a LOT more racetracks in Chicagoland (including a NASCAR track) than Nashville does, actually. I hope that doesnt make us "hickish".

Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 PM

527 posts, read 844,124 times
Default ummm...

Mars has huge offices for petfood in Nashville. I bet after visiting they were like.. "somebody has GOT to write an article about this."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Who knew? Apparently having too many home furnishing stores like Ikea in your city is a sign of being "unmanly."

At least that's the conclusion of a study released Thursday that ranks "America's Manliest Cities" on criteria such as the number of professional major league sports teams, popularity of tools and hardware, and frequency of monster truck rallies.

Nashville came out on top in the study conducted by Sperling's BestPlaces. Mars Snackfood US and its Combos snack food brand commissioned the study. The ranking is part of the Combos launch of its Ultimate Man Zone Sweepstakes, which awards prize packages to upgrade men's tailgating, grilling, home theater or gaming "zones."

New York City finished last out of 50 of the largest U.S. metropolitan areas.

Cities lost ranking points for "emasculating" characteristics like the abundance of home furnishing stores, high minivan sales and subscription rates to beauty magazines.

Nashville grabbed the top spot in the ranking thanks to its high number of NASCAR enthusiasts, popularity of hunting and fishing, and concentration of barbecue restaurants.

Rounding out the top five were: Charlotte, N.C.; Oklahoma City; Cincinnati; and Denver.

Tennessee placed a second city on the list with Memphis coming in 11th.

Despite high ratings in the bowling category, New York City came in 50th because it apparently lacked in areas such as fishing, home improvement and drag racing.

another link showed rankings and chicago was 46th...

Old 03-05-2009, 08:45 PM

It's unfortunate about the race tracks in the area. I have even stronger feelings than dislike about NASCAR. I despite it, I hate it, I hate that it is on TV and I hate that is wastes time when I am watching SportsCenter.

That being said, I look at the NASCAR fans around here in a little higher manner. They are a somewhat higher class. My friend got tickets to the race last year (free from his work) and he attended and when drinking, they consumed Amstel Light instead of something like Busch Light. So I guess that makes it a little better?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:49 PM

527 posts, read 844,124 times
Default yeh...

Hasn't been to nashville >>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
hmm manly city eh?
Does inbreeding and burning crosses with pointy white hats count toward those manliness points?
I'm just fine in Chicago with hundreds of thousands of HOT single women to choose from
How are those large KFC raised women down in Nashville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago