Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:33 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times

Advertisements

First, anything west of cottage is considered pioneerville. It is the ghetto.

That said, the area north of the park isn't so bad at all for being a ghetto. It is quiet and there aren't a lot of seedy characters hanging around. There are also some signs of redevelopment. I know a guy who bought a nice condo just west of where you are looking and doesn't seem to have any problems (married with one young child). I'm not a fan of NW Hyde Park even within the HP boundaries, so you wouldn't catch me buying a place north of Washington Park. There are U of C employees who could live in a lesser place in HP who choose to do it, though (even on King Drive). I've never heard of anything awful happening to anyone. Just expect to secure your stuff very well and not be hanging out outside too late at night. Also beware that the U of C police do not patrol west of cottage. However, they do patrol down to 64th and up to 38th. You might want to look also for a cheap rental on 63rd or so east of cottage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnewbie View Post
I'm hoping to revive this thread to get some insight into an "almost Kenwood" neighborhood? Due to limited finances, job and school location, etc. etc. we are considering renting (or maybe buying into?) a place at 50th and Champlaign (one block west of Cottage Grove). I've pored over this board, and can't find any info. Trying to practice my due diligence, it seems like the area is very quiet, but still close enough to drive down to HP for restaurants if we choose to.
Husband and I have been to Hyde Park and some parts of Kenwood for our job interviews, but this neighborhood (50th/Champlaign) is a complete mystery to us except that the price is right and the location could possibly be a good mix for us (as far as proximity to workplace, diversity, etc. etc.). I'm worried, though, that the lack of mention of this area means the neighborhood is quiet because it's a wasteland...? Thanks, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,970 times
Thanks chett and ajolotl, that's the kind of information I was hoping for. We are not social butterflies and would even prefer a more quiet, out-of-the-way neighborhood, but we don't want to be stranded if we do feel like going out on a weekend.
Through statistics like everyblock alone, the neighborhood seems ok as far as safety, but we have no way to gauge whether the neighborhood is on its way up, or on its way down. Even if the neighborhood has been, and will be, as is for awhile, we are ok with that. We just don't want to be caught in a neighborhood that's on its way down (and, since the only first-hand accounts we've heard have expressed the opinion that all of the southside is on its way down, we have no idea what the real situation is). Any further opinions or info would be welcomed, thanks in advance!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
The entire south side is not getting worse. There are neighborhoods that fall on both sides of the equation. Areas surrounding HP are definitely improving. However, progress can be very, very slow, so no guarantees that you'll see too much improvement over several years. Access to entertainment from that area is very good. You can fly up state street and be in the south loop in 15 minutes.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:14 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I agree with ajolotl -- there are parts of the southside that definately are improving, but in general the pace is slow and uneven. In some ways the composition of individual blocks changes dramatically when some one with vision buys a place that had long been owned by absent landlords. Most times those changes are for the better, but occasionally those new buyers go bust and things sink lower.

Given how much inventory there is in new construction in the southloop that tends to damp down the rents that any one can get and that is turn limits the kinds of renovation that owners make...

Old 08-16-2015, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 853 times
I have been working in the area of 35th & Calumet for almost a year now. I was surprised to see, after hearing about the rehabbing & re gentrification of the areas of Kenwood,Oakland, Woodlawn and Bronzeville. But to my amazement it has changed tremendously. It is paroled by both Chicago & UC police/patrol. New construction is still under way. The neighborhoods are multicultural. On the block of Calumet where I work, I have observed Whites, Blacks, and Asian ethnicity. The new changes in condos, and town homes are beautiful and the people, have been seen walking about the neighborhoods as if they had a feeling of safety and security. I would say take a tour of the areas both during the day and night, and make your own decision after all, you will be the one who have to make that decision for yourself based on how safe & comfortable you and your fiance feel.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
^ Good to hear. There's been a lot happening there under the radar the last few years. Those areas have tremendous potential IMO as long as it becomes a larger cultural destination, mixed, and doesn't allow Starbucks to rule every other corner.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:08 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
I guess with this being said, we need an official definition of "Oakwood" and/or "Kenwood". Wouldn't hurt for him to know exactly what constitutes "Bronzeville" and "Hyde Park" either.
Here's the official definition: https://www.cityofchicago.org/conten..._W_Numbers.pdf

Oakland is 35th to 43rd. Kenwood is 43rd to 51st and divided by local custom into North Kenwood (43rd to 47th, historically black, rapidly gentrifying, less wealthy) and South Kenwood (47th to 51st, historically integrated, gentrified, more wealthy). South Kenwood plus Hyde Park is called Hyde Park-Kenwood and is the university neighborhood; Obama lives in South Kenwood. Oakland-North Kenwood is also sometimes (but not officially) considered a single neighborhood.

There is no official definition of Bronzeville. It consists of parts of various official Community Areas.

There is an Oakwood Boulevard but no Oakwood neighborhood.

West of Drexel is not very desirable in any of these neighborhoods. Going west, all these neighborhoods end at or near Cottage grove.

re: 50th and Champlain: While there are some gorgeous blocks north of Washington Park on Champlain, Forrestville, etc. it's, sadly, still the ghetto.

Last edited by Larry Siegel; 08-20-2015 at 02:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago