U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,506,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiqued View Post
A lot of the areas that people have thus far listed are pretty isolated. If you want an area with lots of blacks that's well connected to the rest of the city, go for Hyde Park or if you want to be a "pioneer" (sorry to anyone who may have cringed when I said that), get a place in Bronzeville. The area around MLK and 47th St. is nice, though it is a bit of an acquired taste. The crime rate in Bronzeville is much lower than one coming to the area for the first time may expect. But, in my opinion the only real advantage of Bronzeville over Hyde Park is its access to public transportation (and perhaps superior access to good soul food). There are SIX CTA stops in Bronzeville!

Hyde Park is much more diverse than Bronzeville, and has a beautiful park on the lake. Proximity to U of C is a mixed bag. You can get access to their library and there are intra-neighborhood CTA busses primarily used by students. These busses are usually pretty bad, but they can be useful on occasion. If you are a driver, be careful in Hyde Park. There are spaced out students walking into the middle of the street without looking and riding bikes around with their headphones on (!). The Midway and Washington Park are known for the old smash and grab, so don't leave your bag in your car, and Drexel Boulevard seems to be the site of a lot of car jackings. I don't know how this compares to other neighborhoods.

In Hyde Park, there are two types of people. On one hand you have some spoiled student types and should have been Lincoln Parkers who are "too scared to walk to the grocery store," and then the others who know that those people haven't the slightest clue what they are talking about. I have lived in Hyde Park for 5 years and have never personally experienced any crime.

What am I chopped liver? I suggested both of these neighborhoods upthread. Though the OP will have a tough time getting more than an itty bitty studio in Hyde Park for $600-700.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 PM

72 posts, read 104,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west lawn kid View Post
Yea but are there any appartments in that area which cost between 600-700 for rent? I took price into consideration but I could be wrong.
Yeah, you have a point there. Hyde Park's a bit more than that.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
What am I chopped liver?.
Nope, just elaborating. Hyde Park IS overpriced, but I believe I've seen stuff in his price range in Kenwood, along 47th St.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:56 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,808,268 times
Hyde Park is minority black (if you count Asians as white, at least).

Old 03-10-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Hyde Park is minority black (if you count Asians as white, at least).
That's true, there are about the same number of black people and white people. I generally consider Asians to be Asian.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:19 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,808,268 times
Anyhow, it wouldn't seem to fit the requirements of the OP. As others have said at 600-700 you are on the far fringe of the one bedroom market. In south shore you can do much better, and if you stay along the lake in the 70s it's probably fine for a single male. I have friends who live there and don't have any real problems. They don't go out exploring at night by any means, but in their little section it's safe enough.

Quote:
That's true, there are about the same number of black people and white people. I generally consider Asians to be Asian.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:22 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,864,967 times
Quote:
I generally consider Asians to be Asian.

Many Asians are white though---Turks, Afghans, Persians, Arabs, Kurds, Armenians, Israelis and (east) Indians come to mind. And Russians too.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:33 PM

925 posts, read 2,085,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Eeeeg, you are right. There I go mixing up my ethnicities again. We'll have to see what the '10 census brings to that neighborhood as I know that the Asian community is growing while other may be shrinking.
Your right about the Asian community growing. However with some gentrification going on in Bridgeport ,the"other" is holding steady instead of shrinking. Only time will tell once the economy gets better and gentrification picks up again after a slowdown.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Many Asians are white though---Turks, Afghans, Persians, Arabs, Kurds, Armenians, Israelis and (east) Indians come to mind. And Russians too.
Can't argue with that one, but I think you guys get what I mean.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Anyhow, it wouldn't seem to fit the requirements of the OP. As others have said at 600-700 you are on the far fringe of the one bedroom market. In south shore you can do much better, and if you stay along the lake in the 70s it's probably fine for a single male. I have friends who live there and don't have any real problems. They don't go out exploring at night by any means, but in their little section it's safe enough.
Yeah, South Shore is pretty rad. Go to That-a-Burger.

You should check out the crime data from the CPD to get a more objective picture. I love this thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago