U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-13-2009, 04:23 PM
 
Location: St Louis
1,086 posts, read 1,760,105 times
Reputation: 341
Thats fine. Come to STL. There is no shortage of them.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2009, 04:29 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 1,915,148 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Thats fine. Come to STL. There is no shortage of them.
I had my fill of STL, NO thank you........
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 04:51 PM
 
36 posts, read 49,048 times
Reputation: 16
I would agree that many Chicagoans might not want to wander to a new city or don't give other cities a fair shake.

I grew up living in Milan, Amseterdam, Miami and finally Chicago. I was a consultant for many years and have worked in most of the major cities around the U.S. and several in Europe (London, Paris, Frankfurt, Stuttgart). So, moving to a smaller market is a little hard to think about, but am open to it. But once you find a city with the vibe you like and where it feels like home, that is where it gets more difficult. I think a lot of Chicagoans love the vibe and family and friends reside here making it difficult to leave. Many friends moved away for a couple of years and ultimately came back, I did the same living in Germany for a year and would of stayed had my contract not ended.

So, I am open to it...just struggling with it. That is how I am, way too analytical.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Southeast Missouri
5,824 posts, read 11,232,307 times
Reputation: 3166
Just do some reflecting. Moneywise, moving to St. Louis may make more sense for you. If they're paying you more, and you pay less for housing, that's more you can put into savings. And in this time, obviously having a good job is more important. But it sounds like you will have a job there in Chicago also.

I'm sure this weekend will be hard for you. Obviously, St. Louis is much smaller and generally slower-paced. Some people like that. Some don't. But if you decide to move, obviously it will take some getting used to.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 05:01 PM
 
Location: St Louis
1,086 posts, read 1,760,105 times
Reputation: 341
Thats totally understandable. I would have a hard time pulling myself out of STL. Mt statements werent directed towards you but more towards people that have lived in CHI all their life and havent gotten anywhere else. Yeah they may like the CHI vibe but they dont have anything else to compare it to. So the question is do they really like it? I have met a lot of people from CHI that have moved here and like it. Yes there was an adjustment period but after they explored the city they realized it has a lot more to offer than they imagined. STL has a different but good vibe as well. STL is one of the most underrated cities in the U.S.

Anyway good luck with your decision since I know it is a very difficult one and let me know if you have any questions about STL.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 05:31 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 1,915,148 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Thats totally understandable. I would have a hard time pulling myself out of STL. Mt statements werent directed towards you but more towards people that have lived in CHI all their life and havent gotten anywhere else. Yeah they may like the CHI vibe but they dont have anything else to compare it to. So the question is do they really like it? I have met a lot of people from CHI that have moved here and like it. Yes there was an adjustment period but after they explored the city they realized it has a lot more to offer than they imagined. STL has a different but good vibe as well. STL is one of the most underrated cities in the U.S.

Anyway good luck with your decision since I know it is a very difficult one and let me know if you have any questions about STL.
Ya, cause we all KNOW how the residents of STL, are ALL so cosmopolitan and world travellers!..................:smack :
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Southeast Missouri
5,824 posts, read 11,232,307 times
Reputation: 3166
Being a "world traveler" does not make you a better person. Most Americans probably can't afford to travel the world. We have to work 5 days a week most of the time. A lot of us have children who we can't take out of school for weeks at a time. Personally, I'm in college, and my semester lasts until May. I'm on a scholarship, and my parents don't make $100,000 a year. I'm sorry I'm not in your class, because apparently that makes me less of a person.

I don't know how you stick your nose so far up in the air, but I'd rather have a soda with people who are humble, down-to-earth, and don't think they are better than me because they've been to more places.

I'm not a world traveler. I have been to maybe 1/3 of the states, and Canada. But that's it. But I am proud of who I am. Maybe I'm not "cultured", but it's the "uncultured" who make the world go-round. So, next time you put milk in your frappe, maybe think about the farmer who milked the cow. Next time you walk into a public restroom, think of the people who clean it. When the garbage man picks up your garbage, think about the kind of work he does. These uncultured people, who probably don't travel the world, make the world go-round. Without these people you can't have dairy (or you have to import it, which is expensive), you'll have garbage sitting for weeks, and the public spaces will be a mess. What about the teachers, who don't make enough to travel the world? Are they below you, too.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 03-13-2009 at 05:46 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 05:47 PM
 
Location: St Louis
1,086 posts, read 1,760,105 times
Reputation: 341
Did I state that they were?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 1,915,148 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Being a "world traveler" does not make you a better person. Most Americans probably can't afford to travel the world. We have to work 5 days a week most of the time. A lot of us have children who we can't take out of school for weeks at a time. Personally, I'm in college, and my semester lasts until May. I'm on a scholarship, and my parents don't make $100,000 a year. I'm sorry I'm not in your class, because apparently that makes me less of a person.

I don't know how you stick your nose so far up in the air, but I'd rather have a soda with people who are humble, down-to-earth, and don't think they are better than me because they've been to more places.

I'm not a world traveler. I have been to maybe 1/3 of the states, and Canada. But that's it. But I am proud of who I am. Maybe I'm not "cultured", but it's the "uncultured" who make the world go-round. So, next time you put milk in your frappe, maybe think about the farmer who milked the cow. Next time you walk into a public restroom, think of the people who clean it. When the garbage man picks up your garbage, think about the kind of work he does. These uncultured people, who probably don't travel the world, make the world go-round. Without these people you can't have dairy (or you have to import it, which is expensive), you'll have garbage sitting for weeks, and the public spaces will be a mess. What about the teachers, who don't make enough to travel the world? Are they below you, too.
........................ ..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 06:10 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 1,915,148 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Did I state that they were?
Ya, you sure did! You act like the residents of Chicago are somehow nieve to the rest of America. You actually were describibg a typical NY'er, not a Chicagoan.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top