U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 AM

6,296 posts, read 8,343,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Yeah because mommy and daddy helped them pay for it.

If you're an independent student (not a dependent of your parents) the maximum number of loans (when you combine the subsidized and unsubsidized loans) for a freshman is a whopping $9,500.

No one can live and pay for school on $9,500 in Chicago -- no one.

If Venom has a decent credit history or someone to cosign he MIGHT be able to get a high-interest private party loan, but they're hard to come by right now because of the credit crunch and they're a horrible deal -- most charge interest rates up near 10%.
It's not that big a deal to work and go to school at the same time. I always had a job in college. And the extent of the financial support I got from my folks was that my dad would send me 50 bucks or so every now and then, which I was grateful for. Otherwise, I got scholarships, grants, and loans that I'm still paying back. Living expenses, however, were on yours truly.

And you know what? I still had a blast. I went to class. I worked. I volunteered. I partied. I dated.

Granted, I didn't live in Chicago, so living expenses were way less, but so were wages. Besides, if you're young and single, you can live in Chicago for WAY less than most people spend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,820,187 times
CBC, of course you can. I worked all the way through college.

Several people told Venom to just go to college and then he said, yes, but I still then need a job and then this new guy from NYC told him he didn't need a job to get through college and that's what I was responding to.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:15 AM

725 posts, read 1,198,307 times
Don't have any advice, but I think it's great that you are so persistent. That's what you have to do. Something will come along and hopefully this crappy economy will turn around soon.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 AM

6,296 posts, read 8,343,938 times
Quote:
CBC, of course you can. I worked all the way through college.

Several people told Venom to just go to college and then he said, yes, but I still then need a job and then this new guy from NYC told him he didn't need a job to get through college and that's what I was responding to.
Oh, I know. I guess I shouldn't have quoted you, as I was expanding upon, rather than refuting, your statement.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 AM

3,014 posts, read 5,631,860 times
currently i work in the loop, by day, and attend school from 6:45 to 10pm M-Thursday. it gets tiring but hopefully it pays off. besides, i love the college girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Go back to school, then get a job. Or get a crappier job now to help pay for school--even if it's just a City College two-year degree or something. You need to pick up a skill set that employers will seek.

Or try to learn a trade. Plumbers make wagonloads of money without college degrees.
i don't think many employers will be impressed by a 2 year degree but i suppose it depends on what field the employers work in.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:55 AM

15,589 posts, read 11,766,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
...I would put money on it that you can get a job with the city, at least for the summer.
Yeah he can call (877) 587-9675

The city is using part of its stimulus money to create 7,300 summer jobs for youth.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:08 PM

10,065 posts, read 16,869,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
i don't think many employers will be impressed by a 2 year degree but i suppose it depends on what field the employers work in.
It's better than nothing. With a two-year degree you could be an EMT or Land Surveyor. There are jobs out there for people with tech-school, community college, or city college credentials.

But it's easy for me to say. I was in college/grad school for 8-1/2 years.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 PM

10,065 posts, read 16,869,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Unless the whole "We're going to be destroyed by the crippling debt the worthless Baby Boomers took to buy stupid crap" issue hits first.
So I take it you hate your parents?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:15 AM

2,059 posts, read 3,175,749 times
Quote:
Yeah because mommy and daddy helped them pay for it.

If you're an independent student (not a dependent of your parents) the maximum number of loans (when you combine the subsidized and unsubsidized loans) for a freshman is a whopping $9,500.

No one can live and pay for school on $9,500 in Chicago -- no one.

If Venom has a decent credit history or someone to cosign he MIGHT be able to get a high-interest private party loan, but they're hard to come by right now because of the credit crunch and they're a horrible deal -- most charge interest rates up near 10%.
my cousin did it. mommy and daddy didnt help with his loans either

he is about 100,000 in debt. there is certain loans that will cover everything while in college.... including housing and food

Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,820,187 times
Yes, and as I said, you can't get those private loans now because of the credit crunch. And I bet you money your friend's parents had to cosign the loan in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago