U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 AM

2,038 posts, read 1,836,324 times
Default Guns in Chicago

Why is dipstick Daley always promoting more gun laws to curb the violence in Chicago? Doesn't Chicago have some of the strickest gun control laws in the country? If that's the case, it doesn't seem that even more gun control is going to make a difference. Does he realize that drug dealers and gang bangers don't give two sh*ts about gun laws and they're going to get and use guns regardless of what the law says? (Duh, that's was makes them criminal in the first place!)
Putting restrictions on gun ownership does nothing but put citizens who abide by the law at a disadvantage.

Is Richey just pandering to his voting base and telling them what they want to hear or he are he and his buddies (Jesse, Al and Louie) afraid to tackle the real problems in the community? (they know what they are, they just won't say it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 AM

202 posts, read 466,937 times
and what is the real problem?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,575,071 times
I'm bringing our guns to Chicago. I find small relief in being able to have our shotguns assembled.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 AM

816 posts, read 1,196,022 times
True, but the only way to put an end to this is to take down the entire Chicago political machine. Have any ideas?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 AM

10,275 posts, read 17,328,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
True, but the only way to put an end to this is to take down the entire Chicago political machine. Have any ideas?
That won't solve it. Without the political machine, we'd have REAL liberals running things, and that would not have the effect you desire.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 AM

3,554 posts, read 6,357,065 times
Politicians are under great pressure to do something about the terrible results of gun violence. On one side, more laws don't always reduce the number or use of guns. On the other side, many handguns are obtained in home burglaries, strawman sales and private transfers. The gun nuts just want no gun laws -- however, there is no unlimited constitutional right.

The gun banners don't have it right, either. Targeted, clearly defined, least burdensome efforts seem to be most important.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:43 AM

10,275 posts, read 17,328,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Why is dipstick Daley always promoting more gun laws to curb the violence in Chicago? Doesn't Chicago have some of the strickest gun control laws in the country? If that's the case, it doesn't seem that even more gun control is going to make a difference. Does he realize that drug dealers and gang bangers don't give two sh*ts about gun laws and they're going to get and use guns regardless of what the law says? (Duh, that's was makes them criminal in the first place!)
Putting restrictions on gun ownership does nothing but put citizens who abide by the law at a disadvantage.

Is Richey just pandering to his voting base and telling them what they want to hear or he are he and his buddies (Jesse, Al and Louie) afraid to tackle the real problems in the community? (they know what they are, they just won't say it).
I'm often called a liberal on this board (even though I consider myself a centrist), but I pretty much completely agree with lenniel on this point. Stricter gun laws do nothing in a climate where guns are readily available to criminals. And guns are always going to be readily available as long as the second ammendment is in effect and there is a supply of existing guns to go out on the black market.

Now, I personally wouldn't mind a repeal of the second ammendment--and a large-scale meltdown of existing guns. If the supply of existing guns was reduced greatly and the black market squashed, we would have a situation like Europe where guns just aren't that common--and gun violence is rare. But guns last a LONG time in working order, and this is politically impossible. So, while the second ammendment is in effect and we are indeed swimming in available firearms, I see no point in stricter gun laws. And I personally wouldn't mind owning a handgun in this climate, if they were legal in Chicago and my wife changed her mind about them.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:43 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,691,776 times
I dont know why people even respond to these threads. A new one is going to pop up every day.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 AM

12,062 posts, read 18,287,489 times
I think my political leanings are of no secret to this forum, but this is one issue I am pretty moderate on. I won't keep a handgun in my house -- statistics show they're considerably more likely to be used in a suicide than in a home invasion -- but I don't know that that's something that should be legislated.

Controlling who may legally purchase a weapon, closing gun show loopholes and renewing efforts to get as many illegal guns off the street seems to be a clear middle ground here.

At the same time, Missouri's conceal and carry makes me very uncomfortable.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:49 AM

269 posts, read 419,148 times
Actually NYC and SF have stricter gun laws.

I don't feel less safe not having a pistol here. I think if the unfortunate occasion should occur and I had to defend my home with force, my 12 gauge side by side is more than enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago