U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,835,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I have to say that I have enjoyed reading this thread. We had a "Tea Party" in Charlotte and, it was fairly well attended. Of course, this is a very conservative, Republican area that truly does not even consider "both sides" to an argument.

This was what I posted on that site that got the thread closed down.

OK, this is what I see (working in the financial industry and all)...and, since I like to keep things simple, it will be simplistic: (from my perspective and my opinion only)

In years previous to this, we had great prosperity, practically everyone was swimming in money. But, in the financial area, (particularly in mortgages) there was a ton of fraud. TONS. By the sales people that earned $$$ to give out loans whether or not people could afford them or understood them, to the underwriters who did not care, to the higher management people who pushed productivity above quality. It was inevitable that this bubble, if you will, would burst. There was simply NO regulation, NO rules to keep people in line. And, people saw $$$ and chased them.

When the bubble started to loose air,most people just ignored it. There was no action taken by anyone; government or private. I am not sure what the thinking was, but, it is like a house fire that starts on the kitchen stove. You see it burning, but, you don't do anything about it. Well, inevitably, it got worse. And, very quickly, the bubble turned into a raging fire that overtook our "house". Things, this past fall, were worse than anytime in recent history. And, the news did not tell the public just how bad it was. THAT should tell you something. Yet, the actions that were taken were minimal. Again, using the burning house analogy, it was like taking a water hose to an inferno. It helps some...but, did not do anything to really get things under control.

By the time Obama was inaugurated, our economy was headed towards a major depression without question. What would have made it worse than the original depression would have been that it would be world-wide. Usually economies recover by leaning on one another. But, this one, completely unprecedented, would have made conditions so bad that it would have taken years and years to recover from. There was no choice at that point but to get out the big fire hoses to spray at this inferno.

The stimulus plan...or whatever you want to call it...not only is creating or preserving jobs, but, is installing one of the biggest components to this entire thing...confidence. In the fall, when the house fire kept getting bigger and bigger, people (including myself) were getting scared. Terrified of spending anything, of what looked like the inevitable fall of our entire society. (just read any financials from that time frame) Now, with someone "in charge", people can sigh with relief and not worry as much. In any emergency, there needs to be someone that takes control. That restores order and confidence and the emergency can be abated. This is what I see has happened in this case.

Our house is still burning, but, the fire is now under better control. In order to do that, we had to use billions of gallons of water. Some of the water got wasted by running down the street, but, 98% of it was used to control this fire. If we turn off the fire hose now, the fire might not re-start right away, but, after a little while, it will and we would be back, trying to get it under control again. So, we have to keep it up until that fire is OUT.

Obviously, the water in this analogy is tax dollars. Do I like that so much has been spent and we have this massive deficit? NO. But, I understand that it is (was) necessary. I am watching to see what is going to be done to replenish the coffers. I am actually amused by Obama's tactic in getting the banks to repay the TARP money...regulate the crap outta them and they will repay it quickly, not wanting to be under those regulations. I know bankers!! I am also satisfied that he is not throwing money at companies that he knows would be a major drain on the economy if they failed by having some pretty strict guidelines around getting that money. So, I think that he is acting fairy responsibly with the money. I think that states, infrastructure, people will benefit from this in the end. Some say that it is not enough. I don't know. But, I do think that we are, at least, stabilizing as an economy, if not starting the road to recovery.

Many folks don't understand the whole situation and that is the basis for things like this TEA party. That's ok. But, I really think that they should study it all before deciding on something like that.

The foreclosure "bailouts" I discussed in another thread talking about market values. The sooner we can stem the tide of foreclosures, the sooner our market values will return. If that takes refinancing someone into a better mortgage, so be it. It will help me in the end to give me back my equity so that I have something to fall back on in my retirement.

I do not mean to offend anyone reading this. I am not an economist. But, I do make my living by analyzing whole pictures and that is what I have done here. I am fairly apolitical, so, I have no allegiance to any particular form of government. I DO, however, go along with what makes sense.
apparently a string of excellent posts is part of a trend
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 08:49 AM

19,062 posts, read 49,714,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
I don't see how God would look better on us judging and slaughtering adults, compared to fetuses.
All death comes from SIN. ALL will be judged. Be ready.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
I don't see how God would look better on us judging and slaughtering adults, compared to fetuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
All death comes from SIN. ALL will be judged. Be ready.
Absolutely, Steve-o, God's got this plan down perfectly. It rates right up there with his six day earth building construction job he completed a few eons ago and that neat job of opening up the Red Sea for Charleton Heston and the NRA to go through to the promised land of AK47s and Israeli Uzis on the other side and his coming back to earth as George Burns.

He really wants to see all those unwanted embryos come in the world so that our low global population of six billion up to even sparser nine billion it is projected to be at mid-century. That way between over population and the global climate change and depletion of resources is causes, we can have massive famine, disease, pestiliance, plagues with locuses,Bill O'Reilly reruns running on a 24/7 satelite loop, and other delightful epidemic sort of fun that will wipe out large portions of the population in grotesque and painful ways.

I don't know if you knew if or not, but God once encouraged us to be fruitful and multiply, until he realized that we might misinterpret his words in a horrifying way, thus advancing a gay agenda he absolutely abhors.

What I do think is nice is that God, along with the Pope, has a great sense of humor.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:04 PM

19,062 posts, read 49,714,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Absolutely, Steve-o, God's got this plan down perfectly. It rates right up there with his six day earth building construction job he completed a few eons ago and that neat job of opening up the Red Sea for Charleton Heston and the NRA to go through to the promised land of AK47s and Israeli Uzis on the other side and his coming back to earth as George Burns.

He really wants to see all those unwanted embryos come in the world so that our low global population of six billion up to even sparser nine billion it is projected to be at mid-century. That way between over population and the global climate change and depletion of resources is causes, we can have massive famine, disease, pestiliance, plagues with locuses,Bill O'Reilly reruns running on a 24/7 satelite loop, and other delightful epidemic sort of fun that will wipe out large portions of the population in grotesque and painful ways.

I don't know if you knew if or not, but God once encouraged us to be fruitful and multiply, until he realized that we might misinterpret his words in a horrifying way, thus advancing a gay agenda he absolutely abhors.

What I do think is nice is that God, along with the Pope, has a great sense of humor.
He allowed Moses to split the Red Sea so his people could escape PERSECUTION, RACISM AND SLAVERY. Do you condone those things? Do you think one group of people should have to suffer that stuff? You must think so, because your LAME attempt at humor is quite disturbing. Youre talking all your crap sitting on your comfy couch in your comfy home. Thankfully most Americans have never had to deal with the suffering the rest of the world sees. And if at some point we do have to deal with it on the levels that millions of others do, you wouldnt be so silly to open your mouth. You wouldnt have time, you'd be running for your life and living in fear and holding out begging hands like many others have done throughout history and are doing as I type this.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 PM

10,376 posts, read 17,525,345 times
Wow, I never thought I would see this thread turn to the topic of Moses splitting the Red Sea. That may be a first for the City-Data Chicago forum. Plagues and locusts, sure (we are the city of the Chicago Cubs). But not splitting the Red Sea.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,335,812 times
I too think we'll be judged by God. It's one reason I'm a liberal and not one those namby-pamby, pro-abortion, anti-gun social liberals either.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 04-19-2009 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
He allowed Moses to split the Red Sea so his people could escape PERSECUTION, RACISM AND SLAVERY. Do you condone those things? Do you think one group of people should have to suffer that stuff? You must think so, because your LAME attempt at humor is quite disturbing. Youre talking all your crap sitting on your comfy couch in your comfy home. Thankfully most Americans have never had to deal with the suffering the rest of the world sees. And if at some point we do have to deal with it on the levels that millions of others do, you wouldnt be so silly to open your mouth. You wouldnt have time, you'd be running for your life and living in fear and holding out begging hands like many others have done throughout history and are doing as I type this.
er...Steve...I'm Jewish, so I don't really get your point. Then again, I didn't really expect to. So I guess I got it wrong on my comfy couch that some sort of grey bearded old vindictive god up in the sky is pissed off at us because some women decide that they want to abort an eight cell embryo.

As far as being Jewish though, it does give me some insight. Kind of the ironic type. You know, like your god would allow "his" people (like...what...the others weren't "his", too) which are my people so that 5 thousand years or so later they could practice PERSECUTION,RACISM, AND VIRTUAL ECONOMIC SLAVERY on the Palestinians.

Again, Steve, I'm impressed by god's incredible sense of humor. And lock up those stem cells. I'm sure it would **** him off greatly if we used this basically discarded material to try to reduce disease.

Steve, did you ever ponder the notion that other folks have a completely different notion of god than you do and some have no notion at all....and they have as much chance of being right about it as you do?

Something to think about on your own comfy chair, don't you think?

Old 04-19-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Wow, I never thought I would see this thread turn to the topic of Moses splitting the Red Sea. That may be a first for the City-Data Chicago forum. Plagues and locusts, sure (we are the city of the Chicago Cubs). But not splitting the Red Sea.
wait till I get into the part about the Israelites crossing the parted waters of the Sanitary District Canal to reach the promised land of Skokie.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:13 PM

121 posts, read 212,717 times
It's good to be an atheist. Can focus on the present and not which god has the best plans.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdev View Post
It's good to be an atheist. Can focus on the present and not which god has the best plans.
and you get to sleep late on Sunday mornings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago