Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Jesus, buddy. If some of you blithering dittoheads didn't stumble upon the word "fascism" on some talk show, you'd be effectively mute.

And I'd love for you, sir, to read up on fascism. Or just read. Anything, really. A book. A magazine. The label to a ketchup bottle.

Then explain to me a few things:
1) How you could look at the state of the economy and say ANYTHING positive about 8 years of Bush and no tax increases...
2) How any of this has anything to do with fascism, something that could be far more readily invoked in the era of corporate control and diminished civil liberties that plagued this country for nearly a decade and isn't being reversed nearly quickly enough.
3) When will you tire of the false outrage you're pouring out now when you couldn't be bothered to utter a peep during the Bush era.

It's all pretty tired.

Thanks for joining up, taking on a username you couldn't ever hope to live up to, and visiting our forum just to trot out tired old talking points.

For reals. Thanksabunch.

ETA: I think it's hilarious that Lookout Kid and I both felt the need to reply with a 3-point outline....
Yes ALL that is wrong with our country was ENTIRELY Bush's fault! Puhleeze, I am tired of that old drivel. Plenty of blame to be shared by BOTH parties. Where was the oversight to prevent the financial derivatives abuse or the mortgage abuse? That IS NOT all Bush's fault. I'm not saying Bush didn't make mistakes- of course he did, but he had plenty of help from the likes of Barney Frank and Chris Dodd- funny how much campaign $ they receivied from the banking and real estate special interest groups.
So don't be so narrow in your criticism- it's unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Yes ALL that is wrong with our country was ENTIRELY Bush's fault! Puhleeze, I am tired of that old drivel. Plenty of blame to be shared by BOTH parties. Where was the oversight to prevent the financial derivatives abuse or the mortgage abuse? That IS NOT all Bush's fault. I'm not saying Bush didn't make mistakes- of course he did, but he had plenty of help from the likes of Barney Frank and Chris Dodd- funny how much campaign $ they receivied from the banking and real estate special interest groups.
My post wasn't a sweeping synopsis of the past 8 years. It was a response to a specific post.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Pretty sure he never said that.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:29 AM

59 posts, read 365,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
such a lie: Clinton left us with a surplus, Bush and 6 years of GOP congresses left us with the biggest deficit in history.

thanks, loudes, if you think I outright lie so well, you should see me when I'm actually telling the truth.
Bush was not fiscal conservative, but neither is Pelosi, Reid, Frank, nor President Obama.

We are bankrupting our future. We are bankrupting our future to save mismanaged banks and insurance companies. That's the truth!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:32 AM

223 posts, read 757,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

The percentage of people who support TomJeff's viewpoints is less than 30%. They represent, also, a Republican Party that will never be able to regain power unless it stops playing to TomJeff and his base (a pity since I am a Democrat who believes that one party rule stinks, does not want to see a permanant Democratic majority, and desires a strong, responsible voice of opposition).

TomJeff can be vocal. And loud. And in your face. And he can post over and over again. But there is one thing he cannot be in 2009: relevant.
Agreed 100%! We need a strong two party-system. The GOP needs to expand its base, not pander to its far-right constituents (which are a minority).

You know things are looking bad for the GOP when more people hold a favorable view of pot than of the Republican Party:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/2...an-Republicans

Old 04-16-2009, 11:38 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudes13 View Post
Bush was not fiscal conservative, but neither is Pelosi, Reid, Frank, nor President Obama.

We are bankrupting our future. We are bankrupting our future to save mismanaged banks and insurance companies. That's the truth!
I haven't agreed with everything Bush or Obama's team has done during this banking/credit crisis. But the critiques to these approaches require a bit more nuance than the rightwing populist nonsense that characterized the Teabagging crowd.

Just as Giant Puppets did not thwart a neoconservative drive for war, posters of Obama as Hitler will not stop Obama from doing whatever it is exactly that got these guys all frothy and chanty and teabaggy yesterday.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:47 AM

59 posts, read 365,059 times
You would be surprised how many average people driving by honked and gave us thumbs up. Most people know irresponsible spending when they see it.

I didn't see much coverage of the event on the local news. Did you guys criticizing it attend?

Old 04-16-2009, 11:48 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
1) How you could look at the state of the economy and say ANYTHING positive about 8 years of Bush and no tax increases...
I remember the economy getting quite a boost from the tax cuts. It seemed to get us over the hump of the 9/11 recession. I also like the idea of keeping inhertitance $ and not getting triple taxed on it. Hell, my family paid taxes on it when it was earned income, paid taxes a 2nd time as savings "income" and now possibly pays taxes a 3rd time when it's "inheritance" income.I don't care how big the inheritiance is, it's the principle behind it. It's like the song "Taxman" by the Beatles.
Tax cuts were also part of Reagan's successful revival of our economy as well.
I remember an excerpt from a biography on Truman: government waste was estimated at 20-30% and sometimes went up to 50% during his time. I don't perceive government has gotten smaller or more efficient. So I am skeptical when government above the local municipal and township level asks for more tax money without proving they are being more efficient with MY money- my investment in them.
That being said, BOTH parties spend like an heiress who was just given Daddie's credit card with no spending limits. I am disappointed at the irresponsibility of spending by ALL of Congress. It's like the 400# person who continues to subside on McDonalds......STOP already and get responsible NOW!!

Old 04-16-2009, 12:06 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
I remember the economy getting quite a boost from the tax cuts. It seemed to get us over the hump of the 9/11 recession. I also like the idea of keeping inhertitance $ and not getting triple taxed on it. Hell, my family paid taxes on it when it was earned income, paid taxes a 2nd time as savings "income" and now possibly pays taxes a 3rd time when it's "inheritance" income.I don't care how big the inheritiance is, it's the principle behind it. It's like the song "Taxman" by the Beatles.
Tax cuts were also part of Reagan's successful revival of our economy as well.
I remember an excerpt from a biography on Truman: government waste was estimated at 20-30% and sometimes went up to 50% during his time. I don't perceive government has gotten smaller or more efficient. So I am skeptical when government above the local municipal and township level asks for more tax money without proving they are being more efficient with MY money- my investment in them.
That being said, BOTH parties spend like an heiress who was just given Daddie's credit card with no spending limits. I am disappointed at the irresponsibility of spending by ALL of Congress. It's like the 400# person who continues to subside on McDonalds......STOP already and get responsible NOW!!
The present situation should teach us that the previous economic model was unsustainable. It caved.

As for how this all relates to the 'tea parties', I don't see people demonstrating any negative impact from Obama's policies, so the whole thing feels like manufactured outrage.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:07 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Agree with you Cubs--. The roots of economic unravveling began not with Bush; but with Carter and continuing into Clinton years via aggressive gov't intervention in mortgage market ( Fannie and Freddie). There goal was to get more minorities and low income people into home ownership. There are some people who should not own homes. They have no knowledge, nor financial wherewithawl to handle fiscal responsiblity.

Bush team tried to get Congress to see this risk but Barney Frank and Chris Dodd would not let further oversite come into play. It is frustrating to think these bastards are still on gov't payroll.

Bring on the disbelievers now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago