U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:50 PM

624 posts, read 1,260,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Second - Why does that make a "regular" family? I think you're taking an out of date ideal of a suburban family (that never truly existed) and considering that to be "regular". If your child is more more interested in dance, music, art, architecture, computers, etc. than sports - what do they do in they 'burbs? In the city there are SO MANY options to fit every kid's needs. If a kid in the city is interested in any sport, the option to do it is there. If they are interested in something else, those options are there as well.

I'm all for city living with children, but most of the suburbs offer a wide array of activities for children that extend way beyond sports. Most of the same programs that are offered in the city are offered in many suburbs. For example, within ten minutes... The Paul Green School of Rock, Music Institute of Chicago, North Shore School of Dance, The Art Center, E.B. Performing Arts Workshop, etc. I'm sure there are advantages to living in the city, but with regard to variety of activities, most suburbs recognize that children have a variety of interests. Do people really think the suburbs are all about soccer, baseball and football?

Last edited by Paige65; 07-15-2008 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 04:05 PM

78 posts, read 161,570 times
So let me just answer a question I hope can be answered.

We're hoping to live in the city BUT, I do have kids with various interests and activities here in the 'burbs of Atlanta. My daughter for one, is a Brownie and takes piano, gymnastics and tennis.

One of my boys is on the swim team, rock climbing team and plays the guitar, the other, plays competitive chess, piano and tennis.

Are these activities going to be WIDELY available in the city whether it be through a studio, gym or community center?

Gawd, I hope so

Old 07-15-2008, 04:11 PM

433 posts, read 950,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Also, Highland Park and Naperville are not close in suburbs. I'm sure there are people in Wilmette and LaGrange who have much shorter commutes, comparable to city dwellers (including walking to and from the train).
As someone who used to commute from La Grange Road, I can attest to the fact that the commute to the Loop is NOT any shorter than it is via the CTA from the North Side.

The express train schedule SAYS it is 17 minutes, but that does not include the 5 minutes it takes to get everyone on the train, nor does it include the 7 minutes it takes to get off the train and out on the street. It also does not include the 3-5 minutes that you need to arrive early if you want to get a seat, or the additional 2 you need to add to make sure your are where you want to be because the train shows up early from time to time. Add to that the 10 minute bike ride or walk to the train (your 3-minute walk is optimistic, even for people who live close by), and the bottom line is 45 minutes, give or take a few minutes. And that is if there are no unscheduled stops, which can and do happen all the time.

Coming home is similar, except when you have to work late and miss the express train. Then your commute time grows substantially.

No, an easier commute to the Loop is NOT a reason to move from the city to the suburbs. Although Metra is an awesome way to get downtown, you cannot beat proximity.

Which is why I am happy to no longer have to take the CTA OR Metra to work.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:20 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,808,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotyan View Post
So let me just answer a question I hope can be answered.

We're hoping to live in the city BUT, I do have kids with various interests and activities here in the 'burbs of Atlanta. My daughter for one, is a Brownie and takes piano, gymnastics and tennis.

One of my boys is on the swim team, rock climbing team and plays the guitar, the other, plays competitive chess, piano and tennis.

Are these activities going to be WIDELY available in the city whether it be through a studio, gym or community center?

Gawd, I hope so
Yes a hundred times over. The resources for children are endless in the city.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:32 PM

10,697 posts, read 18,291,569 times
I'll raise another issue about raising kids in the city that has popped up in recent years... The baby boom. All over the North Side there is discussion about an urban baby boom that apparently started around 2006. It's harder to get in to OB/Gyns, pediatricians, daycares, etc. I imagine this will put further stress on children's activities in the years to come, but hopefully the greater demand will be answered with more supply. I'm amazed at what the parents in Lincoln Square have been able to accomplish in the last five years in terms of organizations for kids. However, will Chicago and the Park district be able to keep up with demand from yuppie parents in coming years? Chet raised a decent concern there when he talked about park space. It's not an issue for me over by the lakefront, but it could be further inland. And the numbers of baseball diamonds and gym facilities will need to increase over time. Will the city listen to parents? The Lincoln Square parents have been good at getting results out of their Alderman. NPN-type parents are notoriously pushy and involved. Will they transform the rest of the North Side?

Along with greater demand and restricted supply comes higher prices...

Old 07-15-2008, 04:33 PM

21,761 posts, read 37,266,643 times
Lot of different scenarios have been covered in the thread so far -- basically there are those that want to lump every place that doesn't require a Chicago City sticker to be some sprawlopolis. And I have to admit that in my experience anybody that has it easy in Chicago is way way better compensated than average and tied into a pretty high powered network, regular people seem not to matter to the powers that run Cook County, the City of Chicago, the CTA, the Chicago Park District, or the Chicago Public Schools.

There are options to get on swim team at some schools in Chicago, but that is not really much more widely supported in the 'burbs. Rock climbing is a tough one -- I know some YMCAs and fitness places have programs, but Chicago itself is awfully flat so that is not a traditional Chicago focus. Tennis used to be pretty big in CPD, still is in the 'burbs, though even there the big empty indoor courts are often converted to more lucrative uses like fitness centers. Chess clubs are big all over, the have that nice mix of low costs and high prestige. The music stuff is done well by Old Town School and probably other places in the City, but suburbs often do this through the schools. Not sure why there are no CPS schools represent among the school bands, but here is the list: IHSA Music Menu

Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 PM

23 posts, read 32,615 times
In Chicago, between downtown and Midway airport, is a family community like what you'll find in the burbs. It's gated, has a clubhouse with an outdoor pool and fitness center. There are single family homes, townhomes and condos. Families live there in townhomes and single family homes, and their older parents live in the condos so they can see the kids. It's called park place homes. The site is Park Place Homes Chicago. These homes are new and they're being sold by New West Realty. I even found them on facebook at Park Place Homes - Southwest Side Chicago | Facebook Must be a new page.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:39 PM

2,191 posts, read 3,404,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi1 View Post
In Chicago, between downtown and Midway airport, is a family community like what you'll find in the burbs. It's gated, has a clubhouse with an outdoor pool and fitness center. There are single family homes, townhomes and condos. Families live there in townhomes and single family homes, and their older parents live in the condos so they can see the kids. It's called park place homes. The site is Park Place Homes Chicago. These homes are new and they're being sold by New West Realty. I even found them on facebook at Park Place Homes - Southwest Side Chicago | Facebook Must be a new page.
Demi,

I believe we had discussed this already. I did some reconnoissance and found that the West Elsdon neighborhood is nice now- however, others think that the westward moving violence and crime will sooner or later catch up with this neighborhood.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 PM

23 posts, read 32,615 times
Manheim, I didn't see a post from me on this question, so maybe it was elsewhere on the site. I'm can't predict the future, but I do know that the area is one of those strong family community areas. Lots of small, similar homes and most are taken care of well. The area around Midway is rough, but that's roughly the same in most areas (meaning pockets of bad around pockets of good) -- unless you want to pay a fortune.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:51 PM

2,191 posts, read 3,404,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi1 View Post
Manheim, I didn't see a post from me on this question, so maybe it was elsewhere on the site. I'm can't predict the future, but I do know that the area is one of those strong family community areas. Lots of small, similar homes and most are taken care of well. The area around Midway is rough, but that's roughly the same in most areas (meaning pockets of bad around pockets of good) -- unless you want to pay a fortune.
Demi,

I created a thread on West Elsdon, but I don't expect everyone to read it.

I asked around on here because I checked out Park Place and thought the neighborhood was fine, but I just worry that Brighton Park and Gage Park will encroach onto West Elsdon with the crime. Park Place may have be a gated community, but I sure do know that bullets don't care about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago